• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4100 Overheating issues no OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disfear

Hi Folks!

I could really appreciate your help. Recently I've got an FX-4100 cpu with an asus m5a78l-mlx v2 mobo.
Since last week it worked well, i could ran CPU intensive application for several hours with nearly 100% of load. But now whenever i use the CPU for 10-20 minutes under (or nearly) @full load it reaches 70-75 degrees and counting (i use the stock cooler -i know its crap, but really these are too highs even for the stock fan- , no OC, all default bios settings /v 902) and finally it shuts down. I tested it with prime95 and had the same results...(monitored with coretemp and hwmonitor). GPU temps are correct, heatsink seems locked well, no dust...

Some tipps what could've possibly gone wrong? (didnt had these issues for 3 months...)
and for now there is a new error, i dont know if its relevant:
when opening CoreTEmp (latest release, not beta) after windows startup sometimes the system shust down, and i get the following BSOD report:
BCCode: 124
0x00000124
00000000`00000000
fffffa80`06c237f8 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
ntoskrnl.exe
ntoskrnl.exe+4b08dc
NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17727 (win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330) x64
ntoskrnl.exe+4b08dc
dont know it it is relevant, however i am interested in if my BIOS auto settings could be the case for all the problems or dont (i am not OCing)
Thank you for your help!
fx4100//m5a78l mlx v2//gt640//6 gb ddr3//550 W

:welcome: to the forum disfear
I have to ask if you had actually monitored the temps previously or you're assuming it was fine cause it didn't shut down? Did you change the BIOS version?
I have a feeling that part of the problem is your MOBO. It's only a 4+1 phase with no heatsinks over the VRM section. My first suggestion would be to take the LLC off auto ( assuming you have it) if you can set it put it at medium./ If no opyions then disable it. Also disable the turbo core for now and see if you can run it loaded after that without it overheating.
The windows error you received is likely core temp and windows conflicting or if you have any of the MOBO software( ie. AI suite) installed it could be causing issues as well.

and for now there is a new error, i dont know if its relevant:
when opening CoreTEmp (latest release, not beta) after windows startup sometimes the system shust down, and i get the following BSOD report:
BCCode: 124
0x00000124
00000000`00000000
fffffa80`06c237f8 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000
ntoskrnl.exe
ntoskrnl.exe+4b08dc
NT Kernel & System Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Microsoft Corporation 6.1.7601.17727 (win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330) x64
ntoskrnl.exe+4b08dc
dont know it it is relevant, however i am interested in if my BIOS auto settings could be the case for all the problems or dont (i am not OCing)
Thank you for your help!
fx4100//m5a78l mlx v2//gt640//6 gb ddr3//550 W

I started receiving random BSOD with my fx-6100 and that mobo. After verifying that my BIOS was up to date, setting everything to default, uninstalling all ASUS monitoring software from windows, and even a fresh windows install - Coretemp still caused random BSOD. I remedied the situation by using CPUID Hardware Monitor until I could afford a MOBO upgrade.

Hi guys! Thank you:)
No I haven't updated my bios, I started monitoring the temps maybe few weeks ago 'cuz I started to feel that my case is too hot for full load as it should be (the CPU and the mobo is near the top of the case, PSU is @ bottom), I felt that the temps were a bit hot (70-71) at full load, but they didn't moved from that point as fast as they do now. (for example: i could do a 2 hour render without any problems)
The only Mobo software I have installed is the Epu 4-engine, at high performance setting.

Anyway, I took a screenshot while doing prime95 for 6-7 minutes, and the CPU is nearly 70, and the mobo is 80..you cal also see the voltages here:
65rcrk.jpg

and one more important thing: i havent mentioned a bearable coil whine...i hear it when I do very intensive applications...

You have a max vcore of 1.44 under load. Is that much really necessary for a non-overclocked CPU? Do you have LLC set to Extreme or something? That seems awfully high to me for stock frequency. High vcore is a major culprit in high temps. It would be helpful to know what your stock baseline voltage is at idle but because you have Cool N Quiet enabled we can't tell what that is in HWMonitor.

okay in bios i am able to set LLC to auto and 0-->100% with 3,335%steps...so the middle value is somewhere either 49 or 51%
at idle, coretemps says:
1406,8 Mhz (200.9 x 7) for all cores
0,9500 V

Disable cool and quiet in the bios set your llc in the middle. I would also set the CPUNB LLc the same What does Core temp report your CPU VID as?
I'm also starting to think as Mandrake suggested that your HS may not be seated properly. What kind of paste did you use?

asus m5a78l-mlx v2 = remember that is that silly acting board that wastes so much time when trying to run FX processors. Nothing but trouble when users pair it up with FX processor. The LLC works backwards. Auto according to Asus is 51% and getting LLC correct takes dropping it down usually to somewhere between 12 and 21 so there is not so much overshoot of Cpu Vcore.

HWMonitor is also showing the crazy voltage readings. I wonder if he has the latest HWMonitor? Or has he still got some sort of overclocking software running causing conflicts?

Most of the later, good Asus boards show a CPU Temp reading; a Temp of the motherboard; a Temp of the North Bridge and one more I cannot remember at this time and then the "package" temp also. So if his TMPIN1 is what temp? Mobo or North Bridge. If Mobo then the entire case is too hot inside of it.

I know summer is reaching us here in the Southeast and my local temps and room temps are up. That has to be taken into account as well.

I would certainly start with a cpu heatsink to top of cpu contact check out.
RGone...

Ok I try with the "normal" LLC value you suggested. I have latest HWMonitor..even I dont know which temp means what (TMPIN1):S Remember I am really not that into when it comes to voltage/cpu/etc. i just wanted to use my PC and till now i was satisfied with the FX despite the many critics it had but now i had to admit that this mobo/cpu combo has a lot of unwanted surprises for me...

Well "disfear" you can look at the critics from a number of viewpoints. They were down on the FX processors for being hot and needing a good board to 'really' control the cpu or you can be down on the board since it is very weak when dealing with an FX processor. And you can almost be sure that a stock heatsink can be marginal when used in a case with poor air flow.

Then really in the end we are all suspicious of the heat sink to cpu mounting. And at the end of the end we have had nothing but some kind of problem with that motherboard and FX processors, even if the board claims to be a V2 board.
RGone...

asus m5a78l-mlx v2 = remember that is that silly acting board that wastes so much time when trying to run FX processors. Nothing but trouble when users pair it up with FX processor. The LLC works backwards. Auto according to Asus is 51% and getting LLC correct takes dropping it down usually to somewhere between 12 and 21 so there is not so much overshoot of Cpu Vcore.

I would certainly start with a cpu heatsink to top of cpu contact check out.
RGone...

Good memory RGone Now that you mention that I remember another one of these in the forum and ya it was a PIA.
So disfear like Rgone said drop the LLC to 20% and see if that acts better. Also we'll want to knoww haw little voltage you can use and remain stable at stock speed. That's why I asked for the CPU VID from core temp. That'll give us a starting point.

These are actually really great processors but they do need the right MOBO. We've seen many users in here with motherboards that just weren't up to the task.
I moved up to the Sabretooth from the M5A99FX PRO wich was a good board but the power draw from the eight cores was pushing it to it's limits.

LLC at 21, according to CPU-Z voltage didn't went over 1.280, coretemp idle VID 0.9500 but running prime95 same CPU overheating occured...i guess it should be the stock fan then....

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing. NOTE: Core temps are now combined into one temp called "Package" Temp.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

looking at it i would think that the heatsink itself has failed.
I would try a reinstall first.
I have had to chuck two or three in the trash.
my guess is that the cooling gas leaks out.

First thing i would do is check 12v reading on bios. Hwmonitor is giving 7.xx reading thats not possible as system is still bootjng. Check temp and voltage using another software and especially on BIOS.

Very likely improperly installed heatsink or need reapplying TIM.

Back