• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Before getting an Asus CVF + FX8120 combo, I did tinker with an Asus M5A97 EVO combo, I had installed a Coolermaster Hyper 412Slim on it and with Asus AI Suite, I did a 'CPU Level Up' thing. The board automatically OC it, I recall it managing a 4.2-4.3ghz OC before it failed, so I ran it for a short while at that clockspeed. Sold them off to a friend and upgraded to my present 2nd rig.

Did you mess with the voltages at all to push it past 4.3?
No, but from my understanding of how CPU Level Up works, it automatically adjust vcore as well.....sorry, I didn't bother to recall voltage as I was just messing with it, had already made arrangement to sell it with the CVF + FX8120 on the way.

@ "GamerDude". Did you get the FX-8120 in a 'deal'? Maybe in a classifieds buy? There is nothing wrong with a CHV non-Z mobo for sure, I have and like mine with the FX-8350 I have now after replacing my FX-8120. In the things I do with 'my' computer the FX-8350 does more work even at the same speeds I ran the FX-8120.

@ "GamerDude". Did you get the FX-8120 in a 'deal'? Maybe in a classifieds buy? There is nothing wrong with a CHV non-Z mobo for sure, I have and like mine with the FX-8350 I have now after replacing my FX-8120. In the things I do with 'my' computer the FX-8350 does more work even at the same speeds I ran the FX-8120.
Nah, the CVF was a used board, while the FX8120 was brand new......this was a ways before Vishera hit the scene btw. No regrets, it's a decent CPU and, if you'd note my avatar, I'm one huge ROG fanboy. This FX8120 + Asus CVF + 2x GTX670 SLi'ed is my 2nd rig....should I need more raw processing powah, I can always use my main rig - 3960X + Asus R4E + TriFire HD7970 for sheer POWAH!:comp:

Nah, the CVF was a used board, while the FX8120 was brand new......this was a ways before Vishera hit the scene btw. No regrets, it's a decent CPU and, if you'd note my avatar, I'm one huge ROG fanboy. This FX8120 + Asus CVF + 2x GTX670 SLi'ed is my 2nd rig....should I need more raw processing powah, I can always use my main rig - 3960X + Asus R4E + TriFire HD7970 for sheer POWAH!:comp:

I hear you LOUD and clear. Nice rigs man. RGone...

Anyone Overclocked an AMD FX-4100. If so, whats your build and what settings did you find most stable?

I have one of these and they overclock like stink, if you're willing to push the vcore on these you can make 5ghz+

This is on air cooling only and it will bench at over 5ghz no probs, there pretty easy to overclock, just like phenom ii in lots of ways but ht is now 2600 stock, but I found 2400 to be the sweet spot for me.

BTW this CPU is up for trade in the classies :sn:

I don't run p95 as I don't need stability to that level,but they usually can prime a few 100mhz lower than max CPUz so around 5ghz would be possible I would have thought with decent cooling :salute:

Highest stable I've had mine with a P95 run is in my sig, cooled on air. Other than that, I haven't gone any higher because I've hit the temp barrier. Still, I'm pretty happy with mine at 4.2 for daily use, I can even push it up to 4.6 easily with good temps and reletively low voltage, but after that I need to start pumping to volts to it.

Highest stable I've had mine with a P95 run is in my sig, cooled on air. Other than that, I haven't gone any higher because I've hit the temp barrier. Still, I'm pretty happy with mine at 4.2 for daily use, I can even push it up to 4.6 easily with good temps and reletively low voltage, but after that I need to start pumping to volts to it.

Some and nowdays many cpus are all over the map for AMD. One will fly with low Vcore and the next is just a "hog" for Vcore after a certain cpu speed.

I only ran SuperPi and Cinebench at 4.2, 4.8, and 4.83GHz, so I don't know what happened in-between.

Cinebench @4.2GHz scored 3.36, @4.8GHz scored 3.84, and scored the same at 4.83GHz.

SuperPi @4.2GHz took 20.748 seconds, and my 4.8 and 4.83 scores are on top here.

The h100 on that 3960 makes my insides hurt. :( How high can you push it with an h100, always been curious :D

I haven't had much experience with a 4100, except that I blew one up on the benching table. I know it handled motherboard-controlled automatic voltage up to 4.35GHz (using FSB and multiplier to OC), then went utterly haywire. 4.3GHz is all you ned to push a BD chip to, they don't gain much after that.

Wasn't impressed enough with the chip to really play with it, meh

Anyone ran some benchmarks and see what speed gets the best performance. I have seen a lot of of people say that after 4.4ghz it starts becoming counter productive

My few benches that I have done on the FX 4100

Back