• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 4350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeknoBug

Just slapped in a FX 4350 and disabled all overclock settings in BIOS, so it's running at a stock 4.3GHz, but HWmonitor says it's running @ 16C!!! Are my eyes deceiving me??

No they aren't, Fx chips are notorious for inaccurate temps at idle. They are accurate under load above 40c. My 8350 @ 4.7 says it idles at 8-13c in a 22c room :screwy:.

My 8350 shows similar temperatures at idle. Not much that can be done about it; welcome to the world of the AMD FX.

As has been said, i only worry about temps above 40c.

It's not just a "problem" with the FX CPUs. To report inaccurate temps at idle is common with other AMD chip families as well. The calibration is skewed to be accurate at the high end of the scale where it counts like a semi truck scale would be. A semi truck scale is probably not going to be accurate in weighing a first class mail envelope but will be when you put a truck on it.

A semi truck scale is probably not going to be accurate in weighing a first class mail envelope but will be when you put a truck on it.
Damn that's why I keep overpaying when I send packages :D.

Well my 8320 showed ~38C idle which seems normal but when I swapped it for the 4350 the idle temp showed 16C and as low as 14C so I thought wow a much cooler running CPU and at a higher default GHz clock. But with AMD Overdrive it showes 38C, my hope is crushed.

Well my 8320 showed ~38C idle which seems normal >> I would guess the cpu cooler was not mounted well.

the 4350 the idle temp showed 16C >> I would guess the cooler was mounted more accurately.

I say that because we have not really seen any of the FX processors that have not shown a very low idle temp unless there were cooling issues. If I mounted my FX anew in my mobo and it did not show temps lower than ambient, then I would be looking for a problem since I know they show below ambient at idle in at least 99.8% of the situations.
RGone...

The most common temperature shown for the AMD FX is the CPU core temperature.
The CPU socket temperature seems to be more realistic at idle.
I use Angus Monitor to show both temperatures.
The CPU socket temperature is about 10-12C higher than the core temperature for my FX-8350.

I use Angus Monitor to show both temperatures. >> that is a good monitoring program but most of us are too cheap and use freeware stuff. The author of the program explains pretty accurately the way that AMD temps are actually read and then displayed.

The CPU socket temperature is about 10-12C higher than the core temperature for my FX-8350. >> With your Corsair H60 Cooler, that is about what you should see. The delta from socket temp to core temp is about what it should be.

I use Angus Monitor to show both temperatures. >> that is a good monitoring program but most of us are too cheap and use freeware stuff. The author of the program explains pretty accurately the way that AMD temps are actually read and then displayed.

The CPU socket temperature is about 10-12C higher than the core temperature for my FX-8350. >> With your Corsair H60 Cooler, that is about what you should see. The delta from socket temp to core temp is about what it should be.

I have found that HWMonitor's "TMPIN2" and EasyTune6's "CPU" to also be the CPU socket temperature.

I have found that HWMonitor's "TMPIN2" and EasyTune6's "CPU" to also be the CPU socket temperature.

Most of the time, TMPIN2 is the CPU socket temp on Gigabyte boards. That does not hold true for other brands necessarily. EasyTune and most other hardware monitoring utilities that ship with motherboards will generally give the CPU socket temp but not the core (package) temp.

HWmonitor says it's running @ 16C!!! Are my eyes deceiving me??

Reminds me of RealTemp and CoreTemp on Conroe, when the TJMax option is set too low.

Sounds like it may have the same issue as 65nm Intel, because of the default setting being wrong by at least about -5 C.

Back