• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 6200 vs I5 4690k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blackbanana

Im building a HTPC to hook up to my samsung 4k tv (Ue65js8500) for gaming.
I have a FX 6200 @4.6Ghz on my M5A97 motherboard and im wondering if the cpu will bottleneck a gtx 970? Should i stick with my motherboard and cpu for now or is it worth it to switch to intel and go for something like a i5 4690k?

Motherboard: M5A97 LE R2.0
CPU: FX 6200
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14
Case: Grandia GD09

Last edited:
A lot of that will depend on the game. Most games especially at that resolution will be Video card dependant. The 970 is a capable card but 4K will push it's limits. I would go as is the cpu shouldn't bottle neck the GPU. If you find things are struggling then upgrade to the i5

Yes from what i've seen i will not be able to play new games in 4k with a GTX 970 so im aiming at 1920x1080p at ultra settings. Thank you for the answer.

Yes from what i've seen i will not be able to play new games in 4k with a GTX 970 so im aiming at 1920x1080p at ultra settings. Thank you for the answer.
At 1080p you shouldn't have any issues running the 6200 and 970. I play on my 6300 and 780 just fine at 1080p.

i cannot speak for the 6200 but i have ran the 6300 and currently use a gtx 970 for 1080p gaming and it handles everything great until you hit anything physics related. the fx chips don't hold a candle to intel for things of that nature.

the fx chips don't hold a candle to intel for things of that nature.

That's particularly true with programs that use 4 threads or less... Even more so with programs that don't use more than 2 cores...
(The single-core-only and 2-core-only programs will suffer the most.)

I've just noticed that on like 3d mark I'm running like a dream till I hit the physics test and then my fps drops to the low 20's even dipping into the teens.
I love the fx chips and their amazing oc ability, don't get me wrong, but they are 3+ years old now and even the 4690k has newer technology than that.

3Dmark is not a good example for the FX and how it games.

with gaming, only look at YOUR GAMING. the I 5 will beat the 6200, don't worry, just game it.
over 1080, like 1440, you really need a 980 to use max settings.
what REALLY matters is YOUR gaming pleasure not benchmark scores.

Back