• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6350 optimizing performance and Temps.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So MSI command Center is giving me a reading on the Socket Temp.... that's a little un intuitive I thought for some reason that it was the CPU Temp.

How are you OC-ing? Just by multiplier also by FSB? My FX 6300 seems to be handling just fine @ 1.325 (it does go up to 1.344 under load) @ 4.2Ghz after over 4h of blend so I might just be lucky, any higher voltages and the Package temps shoot to close to 75C and I really don't wanna start placing fans all over the case. In the start I used "AUTO timigs" on my RAM and those seem to be set by multiplier number. So if I had 215 x 8, the 8 multiplier is used for 1600MHz usually so the AUTO timings on my RAM would put it at lower CAS than my RAM can work @ 1720MHz.

Not sure that is the case but it might be cause for some system instability.

How are you OC-ing? Just by multiplier also by FSB? My FX 6300 seems to be handling just fine @ 1.325 (it does go up to 1.344 under load) @ 4.2Ghz after over 4h of blend so I might just be lucky, any higher voltages and the Package temps shoot to close to 75C and I really don't wanna start placing fans all over the case. In the start I used "AUTO timigs" on my RAM and those seem to be set by multiplier number. So if I had 215 x 8, the 8 multiplier is used for 1600MHz usually so the AUTO timings on my RAM would put it at lower CAS than my RAM can work @ 1720MHz.

Yeah I'm just tip toeing into this. I've only tried as far as 4200mhz @ 200 x 21 with the multiplier plus a slight bump on the Volts over stock. Wasn't Prime stable for more than 20 minutes or so and besides that, the package got hot. The case itself is ventilated to death with near every fan header on the motherboard in use, one of the Fans is a 140mm with 0 obstruction rated for 122cfm blasting right onto the center of the board. It's the stock heatsink though, with the stock 80mm heatsink fan replaced with a fast PWM 92mm. Was hoping for a small OC on the cheap. I set it back to 4100mhz @ stock V and didn't get to Stress Test it again.

The thing about the fans though that I didn't know till after, is that they ramp in relation to the socket Temps, which are much lower. So next time I stress test, I'm gonna set the fans to max and see if I can keep the temps safe, but the wimpy stock heatsink might be worse than I thought. Can't even keep safe temps @ stock everything on my FX-8350. Danger zone in like 60 seconds lol.

I really don't wanna start placing fans all over the case.

Nope, you discovered your problem right there in the first of the two sentences!

You NEED fans all over the case. It's for CASE flow! Cool air in hot out.

GLHF!

but the wimpy stock heatsink might be worse than I thought. Can't even keep safe temps @ stock everything on my FX-8350. Danger zone in like 60 seconds lol.

STOCK heatsink, stock SYSTEM. Cool and quiet C1E on for you buddy. lol :rain:

Yeah I'm just tip toeing into this. I've only tried as far as 4200mhz @ 200 x 21 with the multiplier plus a slight bump on the Volts over stock. Wasn't Prime stable for more than 20 minutes or so and besides that, the package got hot. The case itself is ventilated to death with near every fan header on the motherboard in use, one of the Fans is a 140mm with 0 obstruction rated for 122cfm blasting right onto the center of the board. It's the stock heatsink though, with the stock 80mm heatsink fan replaced with a fast PWM 92mm. Was hoping for a small OC on the cheap. I set it back to 4100mhz @ stock V and didn't get to Stress Test it again.

The thing about the fans though that I didn't know till after, is that they ramp in relation to the socket Temps, which are much lower. So next time I stress test, I'm gonna set the fans to max and see if I can keep the temps safe, but the wimpy stock heatsink might be worse than I thought. Can't even keep safe temps @ stock everything on my FX-8350. Danger zone in like 60 seconds lol.

First and foremost you'll need a better heatsink, the fans won't do much when it comes to stock heatsink.

You might get it to 4000MHz stable and without killing temps on stock.

Nope, you discovered your problem right there in the first of the two sentences!

You NEED fans all over the case. It's for CASE flow! Cool air in hot out.

GLHF!

1x 140mm exhaust and 2x 140mm intake is enough for me.

By fans all over the case I meant ghetto glued ones on VRMs and behind the mobo, the hassle isn't worth it for 200MHz extra for me personally.

By fans all over the case I meant ghetto glued ones on VRMs and behind the mobo, the hassle isn't worth it for 200MHz extra for me personally.

Ok. Forget the extra 200MHz. How about to extend the life of your board? VRM's are ridiculously hot even at stock settings when running a FX. I've seen boards throttle at stock. I've seen cheap boards cook to death at stock settings also.

Ok. Forget the extra 200MHz. How about to extend the life of your board? VRM's are ridiculously hot even at stock settings when running a FX. I've seen boards throttle at stock. I've seen cheap boards cook to death at stock settings also.
+1

It's totally worth the "hassle" to help keep things cool.

this is a blend im doing after removing the water blocks from the vrms and northbridge. stock amd fans on the vrm heatsink, and a stock corsair AF 120 that came with the case on the backside of the socket. your temps(at leat from the first photo) are way high on the core. fans are not a hassle, they are a necessity with an fx chip if you wanna push it.. putting a good fan on the vrms will not only cool them, but could potentially cool your socket down 10c and your core temps in turn.
5.0.PNG

Last edited:
I got some more time with this chip tonight, I adjusted the fan curve further and let Prime95 run

Check it out 4100mhz @ 1.368V or +0.00000. Over 2 hours Prime stable with safe temps.

Attachments

• OC 1368 41 2hour.jpg
    OC 1368 41 2hour.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 220
So MSI command Center is giving me a reading on the Socket Temp.... that's a little un intuitive I thought for some reason that it was the CPU Temp.

CPU Temp=Socket Temp. That is common knowledge among experienced overclockers. Though you are right. It's not intuitive to the beginner. The actual processor temp is either package temp or core temp.

Back