• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8120 oc - help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wabisuke

Hey guys new guy here .. nice to meet you all :p

I got the idea to overclock my amd fx 8120 processor and I need your wisdom and knowledge because i'm not completely noob but i'm not exactly confident in my overclocking skills.

I tried to do it safely via AMD Overclock utility.
I open it, i press "autoclock" and then start
it finished at these settings:

Current CPU clock is: 3900 MHz
Current HT Link ref. clock is: 200 MHz
Current CPU multiplier is: 19.50 X

AutoClock is finished successfully!

I pressed "apply settings" aaaaaaand nothing happens.
i thought i might need to restart for the new settings to be actually applied but even after restarting the cpu was still stuck at 3.1GHz.
Am i doing something wrong?
I know it's better to oc from the BIOS but there are tons of things that could cause big disasters in there and as i said i'm not very confident in my oc-ing skills so .. i didn't want to mess with anything in there until i was sure about what i am doing.

So the main question is:
1) why it doesn't work?
and
2) can i copy the settings from AMD OverDrive and configure the BIOS settings according to these values/settings?

Oh and one last question.. my memories' default voltage is 1.65 Volt according to patriot, but when i run cpu-z or everest they say their voltage is 1.50 Volt. Should that worry me?

My system is this:

Asrock 990Fx Fatal1ty (UEFI v1.6)
AMD FX 8120
16GB RAM (AMD Performance Edition 1600MHz)
Gigabyte HD6850-OC
750Watt power supply

Thanks.

ok, you are using amd overdrive?
1, set your clocks
2, click the apply button
3, click the preferences button in the upper right, click settings
4, click save as and name the file and save it
5, check the apply my last settings when system boots checkbox and then click ok
6, click the green dot in the upper right of overdrive to invoke the red ring.
7 click ok and you are done.

Rgone, thanks for the link!!!!!!!!
I have not read that, but steveb is as good as they get....

yes, you can copy the settings from overdrive directly into your bios settings, that is the best place to overclock.

do not worry to much that one place says 1.65v and another says 1.5v
at this time, you will have plenty of time to work that out.

Back