• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120 Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaosreaper

I oc'd my processor to 4.0 ghz on 1.29 volts and it booted up fine ran prime 95 and two of the workers had stopped straight away. so i knew the problem i upped the volts to 1.335 volts ran prime 95 again no problems this time. I have read in multiple places that i should be able to get the 4.0 ghz clock on 1.29 volts stable but it seems to me that i cant get it to run "Right" on that voltage.

The only thing i have disabled in the bios is the Performance boost

My Specs:
FX-8120
990FXA-UD3
Corsair TX750
Coolermaster hyper 212 evo
Corsair 500R
7800 GT (Temp gpu)

E: another issue im having is the right program to use to check temps HWmonitor says my proc is 44c and AMD overdrive says its 54c which is more accurate?

Watch out for statements like "You should be able to get . . .". Every CPU, even from the same product line and model number is different and will not have the same capability as the others. Then you throw in other variables like motherboard, PSU, ram, cooling. Results will be different.

A Hyper 212+ evo may not be adequate for good overclocking of the FX-8xxx series. Most folks are using water for those to overclock with some having success with very high end air coolers like the Noctua D14.

Watch out for statements like "You should be able to get . . .". Every CPU, even from the same product line and model number is different and will not have the same capability as the others. Then you throw in other variables like motherboard, PSU, ram, cooling. Results will be different.

A Hyper 212+ evo may not be adequate for good overclocking of the FX-8xxx series. Most folks are using water for those to overclock with some having success with very high end air coolers like the Noctua D14.

Alright, I was planning to get a H100 this should be aduquate enough to get a somewhat decent overclock? and should i disable C&Q? C1E?

The H100 would do the trick. Disable Cool N Quiet, Tubo mode, C1E and C6. Go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. These measures should disable all the green, power saving, downthrottling technology that messes with overclocking.

Thanks for providing this link. I was able to play with an 8120 finally and I'm good to go with 3.8 on stock/auto voltage settings but it seems to want more juice at 4ghz. I noticed the downthrottling and understand that it helps with power savings but it's counterproductive if you are trying to achieve max performance. It seems good for server purposes, or the eco friendly users.

Honestly in gaming I couldn't tell a difference between this and my 2600k, so the bang-for-your-buck seems to be there despite the architecture shortcomings. I applied the hotfix patches so no cores are parking.

Back