• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8120 stock cooler on 955BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

manu2b

Well,

I've put the 8120-FX stock HSF on my 955BE (with a Hyper TX3 fan), and it runs 3.7 GHz/1.375v/55°C max.

Amazed: it does the same job the Hyper was doing!

Entirely Possible if all is considered.

I doubt the OEM cooler on the FX-8120 was actually junk...just not enough for a 'pushed' FX-8120. So when you put the OEM 8120 cooler on the less heated 955BE with a pretty good fan, then OEM 8120 cooler shows up as pretty good for the less heated CPU.

If a cpu only gets 'X' hot then a pretty good cooler will keep it within limits because it can get rid of that amount of heat. If a cpu is hot then it takes even more ability to transfer heat to keep the temps within limits and this is where the aftermarket coolers begin to pull ahead in apparent cooling.

Well,

I've put the 8120-FX stock HSF on my 955BE (with a Hyper TX3 fan), and it runs 3.7 GHz/1.375v/55°C max.

Well,

Well, your Hyper TX3 must not have been doing a very good job then...

Stock FX coolers are the same as stock Phenom II Black Edition coolers are the same as stock Athlon 64 FX coolers are the same as stock Athlon 64 X2 6000+ up coolers. :bday:

Well, your Hyper TX3 must not have been doing a very good job then...

Stock FX coolers are the same as stock Phenom II Black Edition coolers are the same as stock Athlon 64 FX coolers are the same as stock Athlon 64 X2 6000+ up coolers. :bday:

Nope, I got a terrible "one block aluminium" cooler with my PhII x4. And a copper base/heatpipes one with the FX.

Well, I didn't get the best one...
4.15GHz/1.55v is the max stable OC I can get (with 46°C max under P95 blend).

Mine came with this one:

Attachments

• 955hsf.jpg
    955hsf.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 493
I modded it somehow (using the alu base and fins) with epoxy to make a custom WB on my first loop.

Can not find any pic of it any more...

I made a "casing" around the the base (with 5mm remaining fins) with epoxy, with two 3cm long/12mm diameter tubes on the top for inlet/outlet.
It was tighten to the cpu with metal wire.

It was actually working ok, but I kept it for no more than two weeks before getting a "real" block. Kind of afraid it leaks some time...

Can not find any pic of it any more...

I made a "casing" around the the base (with 5mm remaining fins) with epoxy, with two 3cm long/12mm diameter tubes on the top for inlet/outlet.
It was tighten to the cpu with metal wire.

It was actually working ok, but I kept it for no more than two weeks before getting a "real" block. Kind of afraid it leaks some time...

I feel ya.. I have a Thermaltake crap WB, and a Rasa :p

Saw a review of the new FX-6200, they come with a new larger heatpipe cooler that comes with an 80mm fan.

The AMD forum has been modifying the Phenom II heatpipe coolers with 80mm and 92mm fans for a long time. I have glued 80mm to 120mm adapters to these coolers (I know, but..) and used Arctic 120mm PWM fans. An improvement and quieter when stressed.

The larger cooler would be super easy to mod.

The TX3 is a better than stock cooler, but not by a lot. The Loki is rated better. for a 92mm fan cooler.

I have gotten the solid aluminum coolers with some Athlon II purchases. Not very effective if stressed. I had heard some Phenom IIs were shipping with these (solid aluminum coolers). Bad choice AMD.

Last edited:
Saw a review of the new FX-6200, they come with a new larger heatpipe cooler that comes with an 80mm fan.

The AMD forum has been modifying the Phenom II heatpipe coolers with 80mm and 92mm fans for a long time. I have glued 80mm to 120mm adapters to these coolers (I know, but..) and used Arctic 120mm PWM fans. An improvement and quieter when stressed.

The larger cooler would be super easy to mod.

The TX3 is a better than stock cooler, but not by a lot. The Loki is rated better. for a 92mm fan cooler.

I have gotten the solid aluminum coolers with some Athlon II purchases. Not very effective if stressed. I had heard some Phenom IIs were shipping with these (solid aluminum coolers). Bad choice AMD.

the tx3 is like 10c better then the stock copper heat pipe one when ihad it in side the haf 922 with 2x120mm 89 cfm fans on side panel.. but i could hit 3.6@ 1.4 on my 955 with max temp 50c

Mine came with this one:

my brothers athlon ii x2 came with that p.o.s it would run it at 45c load on a x2 put my old tx3 on and it don't go over 37c but my tx3 was push pull with 2x 30cfm fans witch might help alot to.. i don't understand why amd/intel dont send cheap tower coolers like tx3 as stock in stead these crap flat fans or package 2 different sets one with tower for 5-10 more or the flat p.o.s ones

Back