• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx-8120 temperature questions from an AMD noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for all the help. I was able to push it to 4.5 ghz with only .05 v increase. It runs stable in prime 95 with no throttling. Also got my ram to almost 2000 mhz on stock voltage so im pretty stoked.

Tthis applies to Asus boards too, it's called APM master Mode. Was it something that it tries to keep temps or TDP at AMD spec?

Yes APM's function is to keep the CPU within the TDP limit and has nothing to do with temps.

My suspicion...

Yes APM's function is to keep the CPU within the TDP limit and has nothing to do with temps.

TDP = Thermal Design Power = basically the greatest amount of power the cooling system of a cpu would be required to remove from the cpu.

Based on the definition of TDP, it would be a little awkward to say that APM controlling TDP limit would have nothing to do with temperatures.

The point being that it kicks in at 125w of power draw regardless of the temperatures it will throttle the chip.

When I first built my main rig I was running a vCore alot higher than I needed but my temps were still good. If I put a handbrake or Prime load onto the CPU it would drop to 2.3ghz from the 4.6ghz I had it clocked at with all the other green stuff off(before APM control was added to the bios). This happened well before the CPU had any time to go up in core temps of any significance. Once I was able to disable APM completely I was able to learn alot about the vCore preferences of the FX chips, and how they respond in temps when the speed isnt flucuating. I can now run @ 4.4ghz with ~1.26vCore and no more unexplainable throttling from APM and I even have been able to turn C1E, and CnQ back on since I got my setup tuned in.

AMD Turbo Core Technology: AMD Turbo Core Technology and Application Power Management (APM) allow
the CPU cores to run above the CPU Base clock value as long as the CPU remains within the thermal and
power limits. As an example the AMD FX-8150 CPU has a base clock of 3600MHz but it can run at 3900MHz
when up to 8 cores are active and at 4200MHz when up to 4 cores are active assuming it stays within the power
and thermal limits. Under very heavy workloads the CPU will return to the base clock – 3600MHz in the case of
AMD FX-8150 CPU.

Since APM sets a predefined TDP limit it is usually recommended to disable both AMD Turbo Core Technology
and APM features when increasing the CPU frequency and voltage above the default levels. The AMD Turbo
Core Technology and APM can be disabled via AMD OverDrive utility or from the motherboard BIOS menu.

Back