• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8150 build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, good choices except for the ram. The FX CPUs easily handle 1866f ram so you'll want to upgrade that component I think.

Also, as good as the TRUE is for cooling, it may not be up to snuff with the FX-8150 if you plan to overclock much. Of course, with the 150cfm delta fan that might not be true if you don't care about the noise. Most folks go with water on the FX 8 cores, like the Corsair H100. Also, I'm not sure you need a new PSU. That Antec 650 may be plenty for any one video card, even the 7950.

I have a H100 in the shopping cart. I also have enough deltas to make a case hoover! I will look into the memory. I typicaly get a new PSU with a new build. This was the type of feed back I was hoping for!

Yes, they will work at rated speeds in your motherboard.

Getting 1866+ with 4 DIMMs populated can be a challenge though with weaker IMCs. 1866 should be doable though.

My only suggestion would be changing to a Sabertooth 990FX, which has a very nice Warranty and is cheaper.

A couple of folks lately have testified that the Crosshair got them better overclocks than the Sabertooth.

A couple of folks lately have testified that the Crosshair got them better overclocks than the Sabertooth.

Is it a $40 better overclock and worth a shorter warranty?

$180 protected for 5 years or $220 protected for 3 years.

If 200-500 MHz is worth that to you, ok.

TUF is a gimmick :rolleyes:
So is ROG :rolleyes:

Pick your poison...:cool:

In reality, one is marketed to those who want home workstations, the other is for extreme users or gamers that want to be uber cool. :thup:

The Crosshair V Formula is better for memory OC, and has a beefier PWM/VRM in comparison to the Sabertooth. Generally speaking, it is better for overclocking. However the Sabertooth has cool (worthless) temp sensors all over the board for you to scour over as well...and special ceramic coating on the heatsinks that is useless...(why don't all heatsinks have this coating? ;))

if he is using only the corsair h100, the sabertooth is plenty, i would save a few bucks on the board or go with a better cooler for the 8150.

I'm using V6GT's on FX-8120 & FX-8150, both work great. I have about 10c-15c to play with if I want to OC.

Guy's I won't be pushing a bleeding edge OC so I think the cpu cooler will be adequate. I don't think I could go wrong with either MB so I will make that choice when I hit the buy button

That depends on the user and the use-case. I'm willing to bet that a three year warranty is plenty for the majority of people on these forums. How many overclockers and gamers buy a motherboard and use it in their primary system for five years? In five years it might not be worth the cost of shipping to ASUS to get your Sabretooth replaced. Five years ago the fastest system you could buy was a 65nm Core2Duo...would you really shed any tears if that wasn't covered under warranty? Look at what the 775 boards go for in the classifieds.

I agree with BeepBeep2 to an extent. A lot of the stuff touted on the high-end boards are just gimmicks. For the most part solid-state electronics are incredibly reliable. Probably 90% of all the failures I've seen in the past seven years have been due to electrolytic capacitors blowing up. With the move to polymer caps on most decent motherboards, a well cooled motherboard should last for five years easily.

I did just spec out a Sabretooth (Z77) board when building a workstation for my dad. He's the kind of guy who won't overclock but will expect his computer to work flawlessly indefinitely. I know if it fails 4 years from now I'll get a call asking "why did you make me get this POS mobo, now I can't get my work done." In that case the TUF components give me a bit more peace of mind.

I had the sabertooth and returned it. Came from a Crosshair IV Extreme running my FX-8150 @4.8 GHz 24/7 for over a year -- No troubles. The idea behind going to the sabertooth was to push the envelope a bit and see where I could get with motherboard actually designed for an FX processor.

Well, didn't get very far. Using all the same components, just changing to the sabertooth lost me some cycles, not gained. Wasn't a thing to do because of the excessive heat buildup in the CPU. Only thing I can imagine was the processor was actually running harder at the same clocks and creating more heat. I did try another closed loop water cooler, but that worked even less the my modified H80. So, unless I wanted to go to custom water cooling (which would have made a positive difference), I really didn't have any other option at the time.

Coincidentally, that incident did cause me to consider other ways to cool and I'm now able to get as high as 5.3 GHz on the same crosshair IV extreme and FX-8150. Would have been interesting to have kept the sabertooth, maybe with enough cooling power it would have been the right board for me.

-Rodger

Back