• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx-8150 overheating RALLY NEED HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lucker445

CPU overheating I NEED HELP

Hello,

I saved up for a very long time and finally build my gaming rig:
GA-990FXA-UD3 mobo
asus gtx 570
amd fx-8150
hyper 212 heatsink
8 gig ram
coolmax zx-700w psu
corsair r300 case

After building the computer getting drivers and bios set up it worked like a charm. I played for a good 5 hours bf3 and then started to experiment with overclocking the gpu but couldn't get it to run stable; bf3 kept crashing after a couple minutes.. So I reset the gpu and wanted to play another match but after 2 minutes my pc just shut down. Tried it with gw2 and was monitoring my temperatures and sure enough pc shut off after 1 minute..
Problem: CPU gets hot and pc powers down after it hits 62C.
Every time I start a game the cpu temp starts to skyrocket.

I have a freakin vortex in my case so I can't make sense of it! 4x140mm intake 2x 140mm outtake 1x 120mm outtake.

I'm about to go get some rubbing alcohol so I can clean the heatsink and cpu and reaply the thermal paste and see if that helps.

But the heatsink sits rocksolid and there was no problem when I first fired the rig up.. I mean I played for like 5 hours straight without any problems! :mad::mad:

I'm really worried and burnt all my hard saved cash on this system and now I'm just starting to freak out.

I've read this forum for a long time and know that you guys are a smart bunch! I really need your help!

Sincerely,
Dan

Before you even loaded up a game did you run temp tests and temp tests using load programs?

Is it a temp issue or a driver problem?

You messed something up, put it back to stock first.

that is a puzzler.

since i can't see your system, i'll start with some general advice.

1) make certain you're not still overclocked and that you have all the current driver/bios updates for your board. Then try the system with the side pannel off, and check your temps. if you don't see a significant drop in temps then your case is venting well. more then a 5C drop however means you have an airflow issue inside the case. that needs to be resolved FIRST before you go any further

2) pull the hyper 212, and try the stock cooler, and see what happens. Closely watch temps. Remember you're comparing average above ambient (CPU under load-ambient && CPU at rest - ambient) at the time of the test, not the temps directly against eachother

~assuming you still have the problem, and the stock cooler does a worse job keeping your cpu cool~

3) put your 212 back on, make sure the thermal paste is properly and well spread. See what your temps are

~assuming temps are roughly the same as before you pulled the cooler off~

4) keep the side panel off and direct a room fan at the inside of the case. See if this improves CPU temps and stability.

~if none of this works and your cooler is working properly, I'm going to admit confusion... hope someone here has an answer if all of the above nets zero results... cause at this point I'd probably tell you, that you baked your MB/CPU when you were playing with overclocking.

I didn't run any tests but I already deinstalled all the nvidia drivers and registries, and reinstalled the new beta driver. Or what are you talking about?

As Conumdrum says,

Reset your everything back to stock settings so the cpu is no longer overclocked then run OCCT for an hour and get a baseline for your temps.

Well I never overclocked the cpu and it idles at 10C without side and 11C with side panel on.. I can't make sense of it! And sadly the cpu didn't come with a heatsink!

edit: Clear the cmos?

Find LLC, it's in an odd place, and set it to "normal".
Find Core Performance Boost, and disable it.

The 990FXA-UD5 I got for review CPB would default to enabled and would add 0.2v and cause overheating at stock. Repeated requests to GBT to fix the issue went unanswered.
The LLC ramps up hard as you increase the voltage if LLC is left on auto.
I expect the UD3 is similar, if not identical.
More info on my personal UD5 experiences can be found here: http://www.funkykit.com/component/c...view-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5-am3-motherboard.html

EDIT:
I strongly recommend junking that PSU and getting a good one, too. An OC'd 8150 and GTX570 may be too much for it in the future.
When the CPU is overheating, is the heatsink hot?
What thermal glop did you use between heatsink and CPU? How did you apply it?
Is the CPU fan functioning? Does it have a cable nearby that could be nudged into the blades?

Find LLC, it's in an odd place, and set it to "normal".
Find Core Performance Boost, and disable it.

The 990FXA-UD5 I got for review CPB would default to enabled and would add 0.2v and cause overheating at stock. Repeated requests to GBT to fix the issue went unanswered.
The LLC ramps up hard as you increase the voltage if LLC is left on auto.
I expect the UD3 is similar, if not identical.
More info on my personal UD5 experiences can be found here: http://www.funkykit.com/component/c...view-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5-am3-motherboard.html

EDIT:
I strongly recommend junking that PSU and getting a good one, too. An OC'd 8150 and GTX570 may be too much for it in the future.
When the CPU is overheating, is the heatsink hot?
What thermal glop did you use between heatsink and CPU? How did you apply it?
Is the CPU fan functioning? Does it have a cable nearby that could be nudged into the blades?

I'm really sorry but what is LLC? Core performance boost is the 4.2 setting in the bios right? I also don't understand what GBT is and what I should do with that.

cpu fan runs without anything blocking it set at max speed.

EDIT:
I put a thin line of the Thermal compound that came with the hyper 212 on the cpu.

Lucker445, I've merged your duplicate threads. Please create one thread per topic. Otherwise, it gets confusing when people don't know about the other thread and the suggestions or questions given.

Lucker445, I've merged your duplicate threads. Please create one thread per topic. Otherwise, it gets confusing when people don't know about the other thread and the suggestions or questions given.

Sorry first time posting and I wasn't quite sure where to do it! Won't happen again.

Well I never overclocked the cpu and it idles at 10C without side and 11C with side panel on.. I can't make sense of it! And sadly the cpu didn't come with a heatsink!

edit: Clear the cmos?
GIGABYTE_GA-990FXA-UD7_Review_Motherboard_04.jpg

you see that CLR_CMOS printed on the bottom corner of your board? it's next to a 2 pin jumper.

unplug the board, close the jumper. you might have to pull the bios battery (its that round part in the picture)... not sure about this board. i remember having to do that before when clearing the bios. you'll want to consult your user manual for the proper process. Though i'm pretty sure just unplugging the power supply, and closing that jumper for a few minutes will do the job.

sidenote: if you don't know what "clear the cmos" means, once we get your system up and running right, you should hold off overclocking for a little while.

As Conumdrum says,

Reset your everything back to stock settings so the cpu is no longer overclocked then run OCCT for an hour and get a baseline for your temps.

Well I never overclocked the cpu only experimented with the gpu.

EDIT:

Wow so many helpful answers in such a short amount of time; I'm literally overwhelmed by how great you guys are!

Turning core performance boost off may solve your problem right there.
I'm still curious about what thermal transfer glop you used, though.

I used the Thermal compound that comes with the Coolermaster hyper 212?
Do you want me to go find the exact name of the thing?

It sounds like you need to remount you're cooler, if you have the 212 with exposed heatpipes on the base, you want to run a thin line of paste down each one when mounting, if it's the one with a flat base then a pea sized blob in the centre of the CPU is all you need. As Bobnova said go into the bios and look for LLC, it may be called "load line calibration" or words like that and change it to high, or anything if auto really as it does ramp up the vcore under load, I have the same board and can confirm this also the NB heatsinks on these boards get super toasty, so make sure there is decent airflow around that.

Damn, we did literally had the same exact build down to the 5 hours of BF3 after. I had some issues with Heat on the CPU, I solved it with a WC system and it works great but now my Vcores are raging out of control with heat. I am sorry, I am a complete noob at OC systems but Ill be here for moral support. Once you get the kinks worked out in your system let me know and Ill tell my OC setup. Its not near complete but its getting there. My FX 8150 is pushing about 4.8GHz right now and my temps are constant under full load around 75. I have 2 fans that are having issues right now but it should get even better once I get that sorted out. From what I have read, the FX series will be ok just past 90 but thats with proper cooling and only for short periods. Mine is running slightly hotter than im confortable with, especially during brief spikes but from BF3 its one hell of a machine. We have pretty much the same setup, the GTX570 was a good call, I like mine alot. i overclocked that as well and it is marvelous. I was playing BF3 for a few hours last night and my OC programs FPS tracker (MSI Afterburner) recorded me consistantly between 300-450 FPS. I dont know if I believe that but still pretty cool, so you do have something to look forward to! let me know when you get it all worked out, i would be interested to know what clock settings you use.

So far looks like you are my personal hero dear friend :) BF3 has been on for 4 min and temp is still at 36C... usually it'd be off by now

EDIT:
Still at 38-40C wow !!!!!!!!! But how come I didn't have any problems with the performance boost before I started messing with the GPU overclocking?

Back