• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8150 Temp Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swampdonkey

I have overclocked to 4.1ghz and the core temperatures are between 50 and 51 however the cpu temperature says 63. Which one do i look at?

Both. Try to keep socket under 70c and core under 62(at least that is what amd tech support said to me)

EDit 60C not 62 EDIT END

Both. Try to keep socket under 70c and core under 62(at least that is what amd tech support said to me)

EDit 60C not 62 EDIT END

and here is the email they sent me:

Dear Tiberiu,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200510844]} has been reviewed and updated.
Response and Service Request History:
Thank you for contacting AMD!
I understand you are asking about safe temperatures for your FX-8150.
60oC is the max operating temperature for the FX8150.
I recognize that circumstances might prevent you from being able to respond in time
with the information that I have requested. If I do not hear back from you, the
service request will be permanently closed after 10 days. If more time is needed,
please reply back to me before the 10 days expire.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request
reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Why cant customer support just give a straight answer???

Heck if I know.

But for sure if HWMonitor temps very little more than 60c on the CPU Cores and 70c at the CPU Temp are not exceeded, there should not be an issue with stability or safety of the cpu.

Heck if I know.

But for sure if HWMonitor temps very little more than 60c on the CPU Cores and 70c at the CPU Temp are not exceeded, there should not be an issue with stability or safety of the cpu.

so is 47 cpu temp and 40 cores fine?

At 4.1Ghz? Then freeken awesome man if that is what you get running P95 Blend mode. If that was during P95 then you should be very very well off under normal circumstances.

At 4.1Ghz? Then freeken awesome man if that is what you get running P95 Blend mode. If that was during P95 then you should be very very well off under normal circumstances.

yay!! lol what should i put the northbridge at? it is at 2200mhz now. does performance scale like it did with the phenom ii?

I have some benches on my FX-8120 that might better answer that about CPU/NB. The stock as designed by AMD is 2600Mhz for the CPU/NB. Running that fast can raise heat but you should not notice it until you push a good deal beyond 4.1Ghz. Fast ram might be helped some by raising to 2600Mhz but my benches don't show much gain in 'real' performance. Again I say that you should do okay moving to 2600Mhz but when I pushed way up into the 4.8Ghz range, the increased CPU/NB raised temps pretty heftily.

By the way make us a signature so we know what you got inside the box.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

I have some benches on my FX-8120 that might better answer that about CPU/NB. The stock as designed by AMD is 2600Mhz for the CPU/NB. Running that fast can raise heat but you should not notice it until you push a good deal beyond 4.1Ghz. Fast ram might be helped some by raising to 2600Mhz but my benches don't show much gain in 'real' performance. Again I say that you should do okay moving to 2600Mhz but when I pushed way up into the 4.8Ghz range, the increased CPU/NB raised temps pretty heftily.

By the way make us a signature so we know what you got inside the box.

My how to put up Sig at OCF.

New Shortcut method for putting a Signature with your system information following your every post so people can know what is in the case that they are trying to assist with. You can use something like what is shown in my signature as a good template of needed information Thank you.

alright thanks will do

I'm running my A10-5800K at 1.31V to the NB, DDR3-2400. Granted, I'm running the CPU at stock speeds, so heat generation is localized there. What I'm saying is with identical cores (8120 and A10), running 1.3V to the NB is not unsafe at stock speeds. The increased voltage will prevent errors from accumulating; it may be why you're not seeing "real" performance; too many memory/NB errors. Try increasing the NB voltage, 1.25-1.28 should be plenty safe with adequate cooling, and see if that increases performance.

Last edited:
I think it was a typ0 but you can never tell who will read shett and go way off the deep end. Hehehe. Really deep.

e-mail no: 2

Dear Tiberiu,
Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200510844]} has been reviewed and updated.
Core Temperature would be the case. Socket temperature is more motherboard
specifications. You'll have to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard. Normally
you should see within the BIOS the CPU core temperature is the idling temperature.
You should be able to configure the motherboard to automatically shutdown the
computer or give warning should it go to 60oC.
I recognize that circumstances might prevent you from being able to respond in time
service request will be permanently closed after 10 days. If more time is needed,

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request
reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

e-mail no: 2

Dear Tiberiu,
Core Temperature would be the case. Socket temperature is more motherboard
specifications. You'll have to contact the manufacturer of the motherboard. Normally
you should see within the BIOS the CPU core temperature is the idling temperature.
You should be able to configure the motherboard to automatically shutdown the
computer or give warning should it go to 60oC.

reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

so what i have gathered from that is look at the core temp more but try to keep the cpu temp as low as possible?

Uh yep, sorry, that's 1.31, NOT 3.1. Although I just freaked myself out... I ran 1.45 volts to the NB, by accident, I thought I was adjusting vCore, totally spaced out... I was testing the system at DDR3-2400 and GPU at 1085 MHz. Then, ignorant of what I'd done, I played Half-Life 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, each for about 5 minutes testing stability. Rock stable, great framerates, I was like, "Shizzyeah." I only discovered what I'd done after I rebooted to the BIOS and saw the freaking NB voltage at freaking 1.45 volts. Never would have done it on purpose, but that ***** was rock stable. Soooo I guess it's okay, at least for a while, but I really freaked out when I realized what gd voltage I put the gd nb at.. Anyone else care to try it?

EDIT: Staying on topic, yeah, voltage makes temps go up, avoid numbers like 60 and 70, get a better cooler if you see those numbers at any point, keep up the good work, we're all rooting for you!

Last edited:
I would not...

would not beat myself up too bad about that 1.45V CPU/NB voltage "visiblegorilla". AMD has some pretty good stuff out for those that have some tweak-speak. I put this graphic together from an AMD .pdf. Take a look at the what balanced by the cooling and then take a look at the Voltages.

Attachments

• FX Volts Freqs.jpg
    FX Volts Freqs.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 592
Oh, you're awesome! I've been looking for this info since I ordered this chip! Yeah, it seems 1.45 is on the high end, but I thought electrons were surely punching holes in my gates for a while.

Not to get too far off topic, but it says 2500-2700 MHz for NB clock, and stock is 1800 I think... What kinds of benefits can be had by increasing that? I have some more research to do apparently. Good!

Back