• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8150 Temp Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What the chart actually says is IF you have those Frequencies, you could have those voltages.

That said, if you had really fast ram like 1866 and beyond, then you may see an increase in ram performance and whatever follows with ram performance. The problem comes with those frequencies increased comes the need to check stability as well and to watch temps. I normally hedge on the side of increased FSB and keep the others lower if the temps are lessened by so doing. Again it is truly a balancing act that each change must be tested against the system the parts are in use within.

I have a bud who actually got rid of 3 FX-8120s 'because' even though they clocked higher or used less voltage or a mixture, they really did nOt do the work as fast as what most would say was a lesser cpu.

He actually tested the speed at which each of the 4 processors actually completed a 2.5 day task. He actually kept the FX-8120 that did the work fastest and not what we all mostly consider to be the good/better cpu. So it is okay to make general statements, but then there should be a real test of performance.

RGone...ster.

what i have found is that the max clock speed of the cpu has little to do with getting the REAL work out of it, it's just neat numbers(that I really,really like) and bunches of heat. you have to play with cpu clock speed, ram speed and timings, fsb speed, ht link speed and cpu/nb speed to find the real working setup. and every cpu,motherboard, stick of ram changes the whole picture.

Ok i talked to customer support and they sent me this.

Thank you for contacting AMD!

I understand you have some questions in regards to the CPU temps.

22 oC seems to be a bit on the low side for the operating temperatures of the FX CPU. Please be advised that AMD does not support nor recommend on overclocking. Once you do so you are on your own.

What application are you using to monitor the temperatures? Usually the Core temperatures are most accurate, and the maximum operating core temps for the FX CPUs is at 61oC. I would suggest you use HWMONITOR from CPUID to monitor the temperatures.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Sometimes, not all the monitoring programs read the temperatures accurately. 22 oC are really decent temperatures. What does the motherboard BIOS read the temperatures for your CPU at? That should be accurate as well.

I recognize that circumstances might prevent you from being able to respond in time with the information that I have requested. If I do not hear back from you, the service request will be permanently closed after 10 days. If more time is needed, please reply back to me before the 10 days expire. And I will ensure this service request remains open for you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Ok so that customer service guy was no help :facepalm: So here is another example. Im at 4.4ghz cores are at 47C but the cpu temp is around 60. I guess the cpu temp is referring to the socket itself and the cores are the actual chip? Which one should i pay attention to?

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    322.1 KB · Views: 34
core temp is king,
cpu temp should be within 10c either side of core temp.

Idle temps are of little concern with cpu's so ignore it when they read 8c.
you have room for a little more here, why not try for 4.5?

you also might try reducing your fsb to 200 and adjust the multiplier to reach 4.4 and see how that effects temps.

Last edited:
I can add one more thing on the temp issue. In the FX technical documentation it states that core temp is not accurate until you hit 45c (displayed core). That is the equilibrium point for the temp calculation algorithm/equation .

right now i think i will stick with 4.4ghz until i know it is 100% stable. When i confirm that it is (no crashes in like 1 week of heavy use) then i shall begin the upward climb to 4.5, 4.6... etc. lol what voltage you think i would need to reach 4.5 or 4.6?

Back