• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx-8320 Overclock help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

michaelused

Registered
I'm trying to OC to 4.5 but can't seem to. I can OC to 4.0 without messing with the voltage any and it's stable. I raised the voltage up to 1.3500 to OC to 4.5 and ran the stability test on amd overdrive but my pc froze and I had to restart it. Should I raise the voltage higher?

Im gonna guess you have an awesome chip since you can even BOOT 4.5ghz on stock voltage. Raise it to 1.38-1.39 and try again.

So I raised the voltage to 1.37 and lowered the clock to 4.4 and ran the test for 30 minutes with nothing going wrong. So do you think it's safe to raise it to 4.5 and keep it at 1.37?

It does not matter what we think; it is all on what the cpu itself wants for voltage. IT is ALL trial and error and you are the only one in the position to give it a try. That is if you wish to go faster at all.

RGone...

I'm gonna settle for 4.4. It's the most stable I can get it. Now I'm trying to change it in the bios but kinda can't figure it out lol. Heres a pic of it. IMG_0382.JPG I'm not sure why it's sideways.... sorry.

Hmmmmm ...... me thinks we need more info. How about you let us know what exactly you have under the hood. FX8320 ....... one of the gigabyte boards? ...... which one and specifically the revision of that board. Also your ram you have in your system.

I have the gigabyte 990fxa ud3 rev 4.0 mobo, the fx 8320 with a hyper 212 evo cooler, and I have G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory. I managed to sorta figure it out. I put it at 4.0 clock because I didn't feel like messing with the voltage. Didn't wanna mess anything up on accident.

very very very hard to "mess things up" unless you go completely bonkers.

We have a few guides here on AM3+ overclocking, as well as numerous threads on the matter. Have a read through em and try it out.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co

There is probably the best guide for overclocking the FX CPU, added bonus it was done on a gigabyte board and the different features and terms should be pretty similar. Download HWMoniter , FREE VERSION and CPUZ from the web for monitoring your cpu while you overclock as well as primes 95 for stresstesting. Use your bios to overclock, software just introduces to many unknowns and can cause instabilities. Make a change the test with prime for at least 20min then if you don't get an error or system crash or your temps in HWMoniter don't exceed Socket (labled CPU in HWMoniter) of 72*C and core (pauckage in HWMoniter) of 62*C.

I w as reading the guide you linked. Got to scratching my head some here and there.

But AMD boards seem to have two Northbridge’s, but in different senses of the word. Everyone thinks of a Northbridge as being the first chipset paired with a Southbridge, and the 990FXA Northbridge is just that, and it has its own NB voltage. BUT, AMD CPUs have a Northbridge as well, built into the CPU. It handles things other than the CPU cores, and it has a heavy impact on

There is no nb built into the cpu, i believe this is all just worded wrong.

There are 2 nb voltages. One is cpu/nb voltage. This one more directly effects the imc or integrated memory.controller. the actual NB voltage is also sometimes called the chipset voltage. This directly effects the north bridge Core voltage.

The south bridge you will never adjust or play with. Its bus frequency is 100mhz and cannot be changed. Nor would you want to, youd loose all your hdd info.

Now while overclocking the actual NB the imc or cpu/nb will do a tiny little bit of help. You want to use this voltage to help stabilize the memory tweaks and frequency. The Chipset voltage actually helps more to gain actual NB speeds. Most Fx motherboards chipsets will top out for daily use at 2.5ghz. You dont need any more speed than this.

HT or hyper transport is the link used to connect multiple processors which your system only has one. Changing the HT frequency and voltage along with the actual NB speeds does very little to gain CPU frequency, in the long run you may as well keep HT and NB speeds around stock speeds.

There are some other things in that guide that I read that seem worded wrongly or just off a little, I suggest you read it and come back with many questions if something seems to not work or you may not understand. It is important to know there really isnt much to changing a cpu multiplier and addind a touch of cpu vcore when needed.

If I wasnt stuck on a cellphone, I may have had more input....

Glhf.

Shrimpatthecampa.

I w as reading the guide you linked. Got to scratching my head some here and there.

There is no nb built into the cpu, i believe this is all just worded wrong.

There are 2 nb voltages. One is cpu/nb voltage. This one more directly effects the imc or integrated memory.controller. the actual NB voltage is also sometimes called the chipset voltage. This directly effects the north bridge Core voltage.

The south bridge you will never adjust or play with. Its bus frequency is 100mhz and cannot be changed. Nor would you want to, youd loose all your hdd info.

Now while overclocking the actual NB the imc or cpu/nb will do a tiny little bit of help. You want to use this voltage to help stabilize the memory tweaks and frequency. The Chipset voltage actually helps more to gain actual NB speeds. Most Fx motherboards chipsets will top out for daily use at 2.5ghz. You dont need any more speed than this.

HT or hyper transport is the link used to connect multiple processors which your system only has one. Changing the HT frequency and voltage along with the actual NB speeds does very little to gain CPU frequency, in the long run you may as well keep HT and NB speeds around stock speeds.

There are some other things in that guide that I read that seem worded wrongly or just off a little, I suggest you read it and come back with many questions if something seems to not work or you may not understand. It is important to know there really isnt much to changing a cpu multiplier and addind a touch of cpu vcore when needed.

If I wasnt stuck on a cellphone, I may have had more input....

Glhf.

Shrimpatthecampa.

Are you sure about that? Wouldn't a single CPU with multiple cores use that also?

I dont know about cores. Interconnected processors to orher peripherals.

HyperTransport (HT) is a state-of-art packet-based, high-bandwidth, scalable, low latency point-to-point interconnect technology that links processors to each other, processors to coprocessors and processors to I/O and peripheral controllers.

http://www.hypertransport.org/

Attachments

• milestones02.jpg
    milestones02.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 387
I've got it at 4.0 and everything has been very stable, so I think I might just leave it here. I don't really see how bumping it up anymore would help anything since I'm only gaming. I don't render videos or anything like that.

I've got it at 4.0 and everything has been very stable, so I think I might just leave it here. I don't really see how bumping it up anymore would help anything since I'm only gaming. I don't render videos or anything like that.

It would help with gaming going from 4.0 to say 4.4ghz. There would be system wide improvements. If your only looking for another 100mhz, your theory is correct.

Leave as is with low temps and enjoy!

Should I try upping it from the bios or amd overdrive? I heard its better to just do it in the bios. But that's a lot of restarting my pc and I'm not patient lmao.

Should I try upping it from the bios or amd overdrive? I heard its better to just do it in the bios. But that's a lot of restarting my pc and I'm not patient lmao.

AMD OverDrive is to play with. Not really for setting a daily clock, you want to do this via the bios so it boots every time with desired overclock.

You can however use AOD to quickly do some tweaks and then stability test, go into bios and set up the settings used with overdrive and then be happy that way.

Back