• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx-8320 w/ asrock 970 extreme4 question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trollyy

Registered
Hey ya'll. I previously owned a athlon 2 x4 640 and managed to get it to 3.5ghz as my first overclock on air cooling. I scrapped that processor and upgraded to a fx-8320 on cyber monday. At first my temps were a little toasty on my current motherboard (asrock 970 extreme4, yes i know only a 4+1 VRM power phase). I installed a fan cooling the VRM and I installed two 60mm spot fans on my side panel behind the motherboard tray. This reduced my socket temps by atleast 12c*

I managed to overclock it to 3.7ghz by just upping the multiplier. My voltage is 1.33 in bios settings, all "throttling" options are disabled. My current socket temp doesnt go over 55c* and my core temp isnt going over 47c*. This is under-load with prime95 running for 1~ hour. No crashes. No bluescreens. Now what Im wondering is this - why is my voltage DROPPING to 1.25~1.28 under 100% load when prime95 is running. I literally watch the voltages just drop from 1.35 to 1.28 almost instantly. Same goes with CPU-z. I mean its not a problem considering the overclock is stable. Im just wondering why the voltage is dropping instead of rising under load? This makes no sense to me. Shouldn't my voltage increase under load?

hwmonitor.png

Literally it is called Vdrop. Loading the cpu causes the voltage to drop and the VRM circuit is not pushing the voltage backup. VRM may not be stout enough to carry 8 cores on full load. Most of us use CPU_LLC to try and offset the falling Vdrop by CPU_LLC adding back some voltage during extreme load.
RGone...ster.

Same reason the lights dim a large city on a hot summer night when everybody is running AC. It's normal. When you see the opposite effect, that is to say, the vcore rising under load it is because a motherboard's LLC (Load Line Calibration) is supplementing the vcore.

the vcore rising under load it is because a motherboard's LLC (Load Line Calibration) is supplementing the vcore.

And on a well designed AM3+ motherboard the CPU_LLC should work so seemlessly as to appear as if nothing is really adapting to changing load. This seemless action is why I have such an affinity for my CHV boards.
RGone...ster.

LLC is tricky on asrock boards you have to tinker with it to get voltage stable.

Yeah what ive noticed is the LLC on this board is taht it doesn't really work correctly. Sometimes a CMOS reset makes my fx-8320 go to 3.7ghz and changes vcore to 1.45~

Currently at stock settings with turbo/c6/apm/all throttling options disabled.

Currently set in bios is: 200fsb x 17.5 for 3.5ghz (stock) at 1.33v. Changed settings from auto to manual considering LLC was not working correctly. All other voltages are set from auto to the stock values (dram/nb/etc).

Set vcore 1.33 + LLC disabled = Shows 1.44 in bios and cpu-z/hwmon shows 1.44~. Prime95 test makes it jump up to almost 1.48~ Very large temp increase.

Set vcore 1.33 + LLC 1/2 = Shows 1.367 in bios and 1.368~ in cpu-z/hwmon. Prime95 test vdroop to 1.29~ as the lowest. Lowest temps too.

Set vcore 1.33 + LLC 1/4 = Shows 1.38 in bios and 1.36-1.38 in cpu-z/hwmon. Prime95 test vdroop to 1.31~1.33 but noticeable temperature increases.

Last edited:
Yeah what ive noticed is the LLC on this board is taht it doesn't really work correctly. Sometimes a CMOS reset makes my fx-8320 go to 3.7ghz and changes vcore to 1.45~

Currently at stock settings with turbo/c6/apm/all throttling options disabled.

Currently set in bios is: 200fsb x 17.5 for 3.5ghz (stock) at 1.33v. Changed settings from auto to manual considering LLC was not working correctly. All other voltages are set from auto to the stock values (dram/nb/etc).

Set vcore 1.33 + LLC disabled = Shows 1.44 in bios and cpu-z/hwmon shows 1.44~. Prime95 test makes it jump up to almost 1.48~ Very large temp increase.

Set vcore 1.33 + LLC 1/2 = Shows 1.367 in bios and 1.368~ in cpu-z/hwmon. Prime95 test vdroop to 1.29~ as the lowest. Lowest temps too.

Set vcore 1.33 + LLC 1/4 = Shows 1.38 in bios and 1.36-1.38 in cpu-z/hwmon. Prime95 test vdroop to 1.31~1.33 but noticeable temperature increases.

Never set LLC to auto on asrocks, they got it mixed up their bios programmers I think for AM3+ they recommend 50% and regular AM3 100% but like I said its backwards, what many including me noticed is that 25% is in reality the 100% and vice versa

Never set LLC to auto on asrocks, they got it mixed up their bios programmers I think for AM3+ they recommend 50% and regular AM3 100% but like I said its backwards, what many including me noticed is that 25% is in reality the 100% and vice versa

Yeah I know. I never set it to auto. Regardless Im still confused as to how this "LLC" works on the Asrock board.

I currently have LLC set to 1/4 and my vdroop is 0.05. I did have to lower the voltage to 1.3 because with LLC 1/4 and vcore 1.33 My temperatures tended to rise atleast 10-12c. The recommended setting in my motherboard is "1/2 for am3+ and 1/4 for am3"

On the LLC 1/2 setting my vdroop is 0.08. With 1.33 vcore set the bios shows 1.36~1.38 and a prime95 test this yields the lowest temperatures for me but my vdroop is quite high.

When LLC is disabled and 1.33vcore in bios it shows up at 1.44~ which seems too much and my temperatures get quite toasty, always have to aboard prime95 because they are pushing the limit.

Would it be safe if i left LLC disabled and lowered my vcore in my bios to 1.25 so that it actually shows up as 1.35~? Would this do anything like lower my temperatures? LLC disabled has the least amount of vdroop/overvolting but it wrecks my machines temperatures by far compared to even 1/4 and 1/2 or whatever these settings are in my bios.

Yeah I know. I never set it to auto. Regardless Im still confused as to how this "LLC" works on the Asrock board.

I currently have LLC set to 1/4 and my vdroop is 0.05. I did have to lower the voltage to 1.3 because with LLC 1/4 and vcore 1.33 My temperatures tended to rise atleast 10-12c. The recommended setting in my motherboard is "1/2 for am3+ and 1/4 for am3"

On the LLC 1/2 setting my vdroop is 0.08. With 1.33 vcore set the bios shows 1.36~1.38 and a prime95 test this yields the lowest temperatures for me but my vdroop is quite high.

When LLC is disabled and 1.33vcore in bios it shows up at 1.44~ which seems too much and my temperatures get quite toasty, always have to aboard prime95 because they are pushing the limit.

Would it be safe if i left LLC disabled and lowered my vcore in my bios to 1.25 so that it actually shows up as 1.35~? Would this do anything like lower my temperatures? LLC disabled has the least amount of vdroop/overvolting but it wrecks my machines temperatures by far compared to even 1/4 and 1/2 or whatever these settings are in my bios.

When I had a thuban which is same architecture as your chip I always set LLC to 100% with my Fatality and had no Vdroop. But yet again this had 12+2 VRMs. Do I dunno about your boards reliability. Problem I always had with asrock was cpu frequency throtling

When I had a thuban which is same architecture as your chip I always set LLC to 100% with my Fatality and had no Vdroop. But yet again this had 12+2 VRMs. Do I dunno about your boards reliability. Problem I always had with asrock was cpu frequency throtling

There is no 100% LLC setting for me. These are the options under LLC in bios:

Disabled
Auto
(1/2 for am3+)
(1/4 for am3)
When manual FSB/multiplier/voltage change set
(1/2 for am3+)
(1/4 for am3)

Thing is Trollyy...

...does this pass P95 Blend for 2 hours? And is that fast enough on the cpu for you?

Key is lowest temps. Max Vcore seen is not ToO high. If the cpu is fast enough at current speed, then I would not worry about the actual Vdrop under load but go for those lower temps.

The problem is going to come when you find you really want and probably need more to make that FX keep up in games with your previous processor. Maybe and maybe not but that is when you are going to see why we have seldom ever suggested that board for a serious FX processor overclock most surely 6 and 8 core FX. My Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro had seriously more robust VRM circuit and percentage changes for the CPU_LLC and in that instanace the Asrock board does fine.
RGone...ster.

...does this pass P95 Blend for 2 hours? And is that fast enough on the cpu for you?

Key is lowest temps. Max Vcore seen is not ToO high. If the cpu is fast enough at current speed, then I would not worry about the actual Vdrop under load but go for those lower temps.

The problem is going to come when you find you really want and probably need more to make that FX keep up in games with your previous processor. Maybe and maybe not but that is when you are going to see why we have seldom ever suggested that board for a serious FX processor overclock most surely 6 and 8 core FX. My Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Pro had seriously more robust VRM circuit and percentage changes for the CPU_LLC and in that instanace the Asrock board does fine.
RGone...ster.

Yeah I reset my CMOS to stock w/ manual settings. im just running at 3.5ghz vcore set to 1.28 and llc set to 1/4. This allows my vcore to actually be 1.35 max and 1.30 min in hwmon. Its currently stable at stock and I'm going to just keep it here for now until I pick up a new motherboard or something. Im very limited by safe socket temp/vrm temperatures. Still worried even though I have a 60mm high-rpm fan blowing straight onto the VRM and another 80mm cooling the back of the socket. Core temps never go over 45c*. Socket temp probably would hit Im not bothered with the performance compared to my athlon II x4 640. Very very very large performance increase. For safety inquiries what would be the max socket temp for the fx8320? In prime95 for 1+ hour i end up at 61c for socket temp. This is under stock settings with a undervolt to 1.28 from 1.33

Ohh I thought he had a phenom lol, thats what it says in his sig. So its a vishera? Yeah Rgone I wouldnt pair it with that board either.

I currently am running a fx-8320 at stock with an undervolt.

The athlon 2 is my previous processor. havent had time to update my sig ;)

Trollyy, we have suggested <62c for Package/Core as seen in HWMonitor under P95 Blend loading.
We also have hung at <72c for the CPU/Socket Temp as seen in HWMonitor under P95 Blend loading.
20 mins P95 Blend to do preliminary checks during upward overclock with final P95 Blend run of 2 hours to attempt verify stability.

In your signature you show CHV-Z coming soon. I was going to try and see if we could walk-up the speed to at least 4.0Ghz so you do not give sO much performance power away, but if you have that board coming, then I think I would certainly stay with minimum upclock. NO sense in risking board failure and losing cpu or video card also as can happen.

There are many things one can decide to do with "his" own parts and pieces. IF I had your mobo, I would be trying for 4.3Ghz anyway, but I am patient and can 'ease' up to a speed and check temps & volts all along the path upward and likely get there. But it is not really polite or of good consciense to tell a user many miles away to do something that you would not do your ownself or would do with extreme caution and attention to details and that is very difficult to say by the keyboard.
RGone...ster.

Trollyy, we have suggested <62c for Package/Core as seen in HWMonitor under P95 Blend loading.
We also have hung at <72c for the CPU/Socket Temp as seen in HWMonitor under P95 Blend loading.
20 mins P95 Blend to do preliminary checks during upward overclock with final P95 Blend run of 2 hours to attempt verify stability.

In your signature you show CHV-Z coming soon. I was going to try and see if we could walk-up the speed to at least 4.0Ghz so you do not give sO much performance power away, but if you have that board coming, then I think I would certainly stay with minimum upclock. NO sense in risking board failure and losing cpu or video card also as can happen.

There are many things one can decide to do with "his" own parts and pieces. IF I had your mobo, I would be trying for 4.3Ghz anyway, but I am patient and can 'ease' up to a speed and check temps & volts all along the path upward and likely get there. But it is not really polite or of good consciense to tell a user many miles away to do something that you would not do your ownself or would do with extreme caution and attention to details and that is very difficult to say by the keyboard.
RGone...ster.

Hey Rgone. I think it was Zakarro that had some stuff "coming soon." Not me. I wont be getting a new motherboard anytime soon but the thing is, is if this motherboard goes to toast I'm SOL until finding a new motherboard (atleast 1+ month until I can get a new one.)

The precautions I have taken as to installing my fx-8320 on my asrock 970 extreme4 are:
Installing a high-rpm fan blowing directly on the VRM
80mm can blowing on the back of the socket.

I am going to stick with my original small upclock of 3.7ghz at 1.35v and 1/2 LLC. This yields me the lowest temps and best stability so far. No point in pushing it further because I cant risk frying my motherboard/cpu/gpu currently.

Hey Rgone. I think it was Zakarro that had some stuff "coming soon." Not me. I wont be getting a new motherboard anytime soon but the thing is, is if this motherboard goes to toast I'm SOL until finding a new motherboard (atleast 1+ month until I can get a new one.)

The precautions I have taken as to installing my fx-8320 on my asrock 970 extreme4 are:
Installing a high-rpm fan blowing directly on the VRM
80mm can blowing on the back of the socket.

I am going to stick with my original small upclock of 3.7ghz at 1.35v and 1/2 LLC. This yields me the lowest temps and best stability so far. No point in pushing it further because I cant risk frying my motherboard/cpu/gpu currently.

You are correct and he did get his CHV-Z board yesterday I think or similar.

Why I said we can do many things to our own parts and pieces and that does include NOT beating up on them.

You know you paid for those pieces and can run as sanely and even as crazily as you wish. Not my desire to have you have a parts issue of any sort. Luck man.
RGone...ster.

You are correct and he did get his CHV-Z board yesterday I think or similar.

Why I said we can do many things to our own parts and pieces and that does include NOT beating up on them.

You know you paid for those pieces and can run as sanely and even as crazily as you wish. Not my desire to have you have a parts issue of any sort. Luck man.
RGone...ster.

Nah CHV should arrrive tomorrow or monday ;)

OP as for a new board I suggest either a 990FX UD3 or UD5 or a Sabertooth if you want to spend a little more. ANd if you really want top notch do what I did and get a CHV :D

Back