• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 can't overclock AT ALL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chnchapters

Registered
So I just bought an FX 8350 , it came in the mail today...
I am upgradeing from a Phenom 2 970 BE (stock 3.5, OC to 4.00 for 1+ years stable)

Specs are as:
AsRock Extreme 4 970 mobo (yes I have the lates 2.2 bios update)
AMD FX 8350 CPU
Asus Xonar DG soundcard
Gigabyte GTX 670 oc
Gigabyte GTX 550ti
OCZ Agility 3 60gb SSD
3 various HDDs
Custom water cooling loop for CPU, GPU, AND motherboard (pretty extreme cooling setup)
Kingwin 850watt PSU
12 gb DDR3 1333mhz no name ram
Windows 8 pro

Well I plugged in my new CPU and it booted fine, Prime95, HwMonitor, speedfan, all good
As soon as I try to over clock it everything goes to ***.
I can't even increase the multiplier by 1 without it BSOD under load...

I thought this CPU was made to OC
And temp is a NON ISSUE (30degrees max under load)

I tried to up the voltage, i dissabled turbo boost, dissabled cool and quiet, tried to mess around with BIOS settings, I can not figure this out.

I bought this chip with the plan of getting to 5 ghz... yet I can't even get to 4.2ghz...

Does anyone have any advice on this? Idk if I should return it or what?

While we wait for others to weigh in I'm guessing it's a VRM issue. Until anybody comments on that I wouldn't recommend leaning on the OC much if at all.

Edit: Yeah 4+1 Phase VRM you shouldn't go much over 140 watts load according to ASRock and I'd take their word for it. So you may have other issues but a slight OC and that CPU is going to be past 140w.

850w psu, two nvidia gpus and an 8350...not sure but those are quite power hungry.
Have you tried a different bios version? Try with a single stick of ram at stock settings.
Remove your sound card, I've seen people have conflicts with them installed.

I'm not sure if it will make a difference but set your tras and trc to 25 and 34

Just in case you miss it because there's another post or 2....

Your processor is 125w tdp your board is designed for ~140w maximum. I'd bet bumping the multiplier by 1 puts you there or beyond.

At 4.8Ghz that chip will draw about 130w more than stock.

Please keep in mind this following link is total system power consumption but look 213w full CPU load stock 8350, 364w full CPU load 4.8Ghz 8350.

Linky

I like overclocking but not smoldering VRM's.

Okay so I removed the sound card...

I manually set the ram timings as suggested...

I don't believe it is the PSU that is more than enough power.

I would like to hear anyone elses suggestions besides my motherboard not being able to power the chip on an overclock. I have talked to people with my same exact mainboard and the same chip that have acheived higher OC.

Here is a pic of me bumping the chip up to 4.4 but as soon as i hit Prime95 it fails immediatly...

Attachments

• ocnotstable.jpg
    ocnotstable.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 1,156
Well my advise to you would be taking it slowly and one step at a time. Get to 4.1 stable and work from there. What type of error does prime give? Try increasing vcore and cpu-nb voltage (not by alot see if it helps). I would also try memtest to see if your RAM is bad.

Have you tried exactly mimicking the settings of these other people? You might find this sarcastic, it's quite serious though.
Perhaps try the forum search feature. I used it and found something. It was an exact same model board throttling on an 8120. They put a fan right on it and proceeded to find a better overclock and one that did not throttle. Also, I'd recommend using HWMonitor instead of speedfan.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713171

@op, what is vcore under load?
Last picture shows 1.4v at idle that could be 1.3v at load...which would most likely not be stable at 4.4 GHz.

Just an off the wall thought...... what brand of ram are you using. When I installed my 8350 I thought I would try some new Kingston memory I had bought for my 8150 a while back but it wouldn't even boot. On my OC for the 8150 it did work but did'nt like to be OC'd. Do you have other ram you can try?

@OP, what is vcore under load?
Last picture shows 1.4v at idle that could be 1.3v at load...which would most likely not be stable at 4.4 GHz.

How high should I set my vcore? I tried to bump it up a little already...

Im using off brand micro center ram

Also it will boot but once I get into windows or log in or start to do anything I will get a service exception BSOD error....

Have you tried exactly mimicking the settings of these other people? You might find this sarcastic, it's quite serious though.
Perhaps try the forum search feature. I used it and found something. It was an exact same model board throttling on an 8120. They put a fan right on it and proceeded to find a better overclock and one that did not throttle. Also, I'd recommend using HWMonitor instead of speedfan.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713171

Also cooling is not an issue, I have a pretty extreme water cooling setup, and the temps dont go over 30 degrees C really. How high should I be raising the vcore? I never touched voltages when getting my old Phenom2 from 3.5 to 4.1

Here are some pics of my BIOS am I doing this right? Also didn't take a pic but cool n quiet, c6, all that stuff is dissabled

Attachments

• bios1.jpg
    bios1.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 1,139
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    958.4 KB · Views: 1,098
Now everything looks different...as you stated it first I thought you couldn't go a single multi over stock.
I'm not an AMD guru, BeepBeep2 should be able to help you out. He knows his AMD stuff ;)

Back