• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 can't overclock AT ALL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I promise this will be my last push with this. Please look at the picture closely and consider that these are your HW monitor temps blue screening compared to the HW monitor temps of the same board as yours that is just throttling. Is your VRM under water? If not then I'm guessing it's getting little to no air because your temps are dangerously high.

Temps.png

And have you tried with more vcore? I know it's pretty obvious, but if you're seeing the same results with whatever vcore or bios setting, then I'd suspect some kind of mobo failure, be it software or hardware...If that's not the case it's just your regular run of the mill unstable oc.

Did you upgrade the bios for that board, I did not see any mention of it ?
You need 2.10 for it, also did you reload windows, going from a 970be to a fx8350 might warrant a reload

Edit, yep bios updated, missed it . Reload time.

Last edited:
I promise this will be my last push with this. Please look at the picture closely and consider that these are your HW monitor temps blue screening compared to the HW monitor temps of the same board as yours that is just throttling. Is your VRM under water? If not then I'm guessing it's getting little to no air because your temps are dangerously high.

View attachment 118546

yea i agree with this guy. can you put a fan over your power delivery to help cool it off cause that to will also affect stability.

Holy crap, I sincerely hope that is an incorrect reading of 260 degrees. That is insane. I'm not shocked that it refuses to overclock.

I had the same issue before until I disabled all the power saving stuff in my bios and set my cpu llc on extreme.

Holy crap, I sincerely hope that is an incorrect reading of 260 degrees. That is insane. I'm not shocked that it refuses to overclock.

Yes HWMonitor reads incorrectly at times depending on the version you have and your other components in your setup. Just like cpu-z reads the 8350 as a zambezi and not vishera

I know it frequently is fed incorrect readings, but his idle temp is less than half that, which leads me to believe it probably isn't that far off from accurate.

Just throwing this out there, but AUXTIN, as I've read, is just a dummy reading on the ASRock eXtreme boards. And I'm willing to bet that the 127 is a false reading, as the current and low temps are within a degree of each other, and 100 degrees cooler than that.

I think that is a false reading... Where are my VRM on my board? The northbridge is also water cooled (chip under my cpu) but the chips left of my cpu socket (mosfet i believe, not sure) is not water cooled. I do believe this is a dummy reading though and my board is not getting that hot, it has always read like this...

My LLC is set on 1/2 for AM3+ there is no setting like low, high, extreme, etc

I googled it, My VRM is not under water but it is very cool to the touch... I truely believe that is a dummy reading...

I'm not sure what to say without sounding offensive.

Did you just touch the VRM heatsink while your processor was idle? With your CPU at stock settings and running a stress test that VRM heatsink should be almost to the point where you cannot hold your hand on it.

Seriously, it's so easy to check, please check and please not at idle, logic should dictate not to check at idle. If it's cool at load something is wrong.

I'm surprised people aren't backing me up on this. You have a value oriented motherboard, it was not built with the intention of having you put a 125w chip in it and then overclocking that chip. You don't even have to listen to me here because ASRock themselves say your board can deal with 140w maximum. I even put up a link to somebody on this forum having an issue like yours with this board and it was linked to VRM temperature. Bump that multiplier by 1 and you've hit or exceeded the maximum. The maximum even assumes good airflow...as you've just discovered what a VRM is I'd question if you knew enough to ensure good airflow for the VRM when you water cooled.

I have the Asus alternative to your board. My little 4+2 VRM starts to buzz when I push my x6 to 130w of draw and by 160w I have blue screening. All of this and mine has a heat-sink with much greater surface area and probably better air flow.

I'd expect to have the problem you are having if I did what you are doing, so please take my suggestion seriously and be careful touching that VRM, it could burn you.

@"chnchapters" what you use for monitoring your system is not what we use. What you use on your own is fine by me. But we need to see information in the format as shown below. Go to a speed that does not fail and follow the outline below with good graphic captures and not the whole freeken screen at one time. I work from a laptop most of the time and the resolution of those full screen captures does not show the actual information very effectively. This should get us all on the same page in the book. Thanks.

These are the types of information that most users supply in order to be able to help them very much.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible. This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

I'm not sure what to say without sounding offensive.

Did you just touch the VRM heatsink while your processor was idle? With your CPU at stock settings and running a stress test that VRM heatsink should be almost to the point where you cannot hold your hand on it.

Seriously, it's so easy to check, please check and please not at idle, logic should dictate not to check at idle. If it's cool at load something is wrong.

I'm surprised people aren't backing me up on this. You have a value oriented motherboard, it was not built with the intention of having you put a 125w chip in it and then overclocking that chip. You don't even have to listen to me here because ASRock themselves say your board can deal with 140w maximum. I even put up a link to somebody on this forum having an issue like yours with this board and it was linked to VRM temperature. Bump that multiplier by 1 and you've hit or exceeded the maximum. The maximum even assumes good airflow...as you've just discovered what a VRM is I'd question if you knew enough to ensure good airflow for the VRM when you water cooled.

I have the Asus alternative to your board. My little 4+2 VRM starts to buzz when I push my x6 to 130w of draw and by 160w I have blue screening. All of this and mine has a heat-sink with much greater surface area and probably better air flow.

I'd expect to have the problem you are having if I did what you are doing, so please take my suggestion seriously and be careful touching that VRM, it could burn you.

The VRM is getting hot under load. However I still do not think that is an accurate reading on HW monitor. I had some extra laying around so I just put heatsinks (Swiftech MC800) on my VRM... There also is alot of airflow around it...
I get what your saying about my motherboard but I have read about people using it to overclock this processor...

Fair enough. In your BIOS pictures I think I see your ram voltage on auto and the motherboard is choosing 1.585V. CPU-Z seems to suggest 1.5V for your memory. 1.585V isn't toooo crazy but as long as you are only using CPU multiplier the memory frequency shouldn't change so you could remove the extra voltage just to remove the possibility of it being an issue.

The 970 extreme 4 is a piece of crap I had all sorts of issues with mine and have talked with others. I've had it for a year and swapped every part out and come to the conclusion that it is a complete piece of ****, and only really supports the older processors such as the phenom II's. I had the same issues with my fx-6100 as I do now with my 8350. get another board, **** them for saying the chips are supported... ********

http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/50970-asrock-970-extreme4-fx-8350-unstable-stock-settings.html

Back