• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED FX 8350 - Curious Overheating Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
my 8350 overheated and burned up within two weeks of having it, I used a upgraded Thermal Take heat pipe air cooler with a 120MM fan too
as you can see I went back to my older CPU on the same board
I don't trust the 8350 anymore

8350 working great here and running cool. My 8350 was suffering from vcore droop which caused similar issues, I thought it was the psu at first also but watching voltages while loading up my cpu showed the voltage dropping as low as 1.1v while the cpu was operating at 4.2ghz. No bueno.

It is possible to overheat the FX 8core CPU with gaming load while prime 95 would pass temperature wise.
Since the fans adjust with the socket temp the package temp may get really high while socket temps stay in lower range. I'm not convinced that a stock 8350 with air cooling is capable of having that kind of issue tho.
One possibility is that if your GPU vents inside the case it can overheat the CPU. That GPU pushes out a lot of heat and temp testing with prime95 alone wont give you a realistic result.
You can run furmark without AA during prime95 testing. This will pretty much stress the whole system as much as possible in any kind of load scenario(excluding folding)

E: BTW you will take all responsibility yourself running furmark. It can kill a graphics card with cheap power delivery components.

I'm not convinced that a stock 8350 with air cooling is capable of having that kind of issue tho.
What if I told that the HSF was some aftermarket cheapo had an aluminum heatsink without heatpipes. The 120mm fan was rated 50-55 CMF, but that is questionable if it even was putting out that much. Now, what if I told you that the contact area on the base of the heatsink also didn't fully cover the IHS plate on the CPU? I bet you would be convinced then.

One possibility is that if your GPU vents inside the case it can overheat the CPU.
The GPU fans are pointing down away from the CPU. The case is also well ventilated with 3x120mm front intake, 2x120mm top exhaust, 1x140mm rear exhaust. I believe the CPU is overheating, but due to the aforementioned piece of sh*t HSF I should have never put it on it. I went ahead and decided to go liquid.

You can run furmark without AA during prime95 testing. This will pretty much stress the whole system as much as possible in any kind of load scenario(excluding folding)
Well the system would pass 3DMark 11 with AA, triple buffering and VSYNC. It performed very in 3DMark 11, but it would take about 20-30 minutes of gaming for the system to lock up. However, futuremark benchmarks are only 30 seconds and I think it's because the benchmarks weren't stressing the system enough in 30 seconds to cause the CPU to overheat. Again, I believe the CPU was overheating after 30 min. of gaming due to the previously mentioned HSF. I picked out a favorably reviewed liquid AIO [I cross referenced it against a couple of sites] which should resolve the issue.

I could try out Furmark. Once I get my components in - liquid AIO and GPU back from Asus - I'm going to do a clean reinstall of windows and try to game. If the problem goes away and I can game for more than an hour without issue then I am satisfied. Only in the event that the problem is still present will I then attempt Furmark.

Last edited:
my 8350 overheated and burned up within two weeks of having it, I used a upgraded Thermal Take heat pipe air cooler with a 120MM fan too
as you can see I went back to my older CPU on the same board
I don't trust the 8350 anymore

If your 8350 burned up, then something was not right with the ThermalTake HS, I have 7 systems with a V6GT Cooler, 4 of those systems using the 8350 (soon to be 5) and not 1 heat issue any of them.
I run F@H and it maxes out all 8 cores to 100% and max temp never got over 35c, I can even put my fingers on the heat pipes and they feel cool.

cooler-master-v6gt-il.jpg

@ShrimpBrime, The FX-8350 uses roughly 210W at load 4ghz. At 4.8ghz around 385W?
The 8350 TDP is only 125W, where have you seen 210W at stock speed at?

Back