• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-8350 OC question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
right now, run the blend test, it also tests memory.
small fft just makes heat for you right now, so get what you can get with blend, then worry about the others later, it's time for you to learn also.
please open enough copies of cpu-z and show us all the tabs.
cpu-z is kind of cool, you can open all the copies you want.
what version of prime95 are you using?

I'm using ver 26.6 build 3. I asked because I just installed this CPU in my system that had a FX6300 stable at 4.4 GHZ. I didn't make any other changes except voltage and multiplier changes to get this CPU to overclock. I didn't think my memory would need tested since everything was stable before. I've heard different amounts of time to run the test to determine a stable overclock. I've used 2 hours in the past but have heard anything from 20 minutes to an hour to 3 hours. Do you still want to see all tabs?
Thanks

yup, all the tabs.
you will be overclocking more than the cores and a peek at all the other stuff helps us help you.
not all the tabs with every screen shot just once in a while.

Without trying to suck up to anyone, but as an FX8350 use, I find this thread super interesting! Keep talking... [emoji1360]

I couldn't get 4.6 stable. I could get about 1.5 hours on prime and core #2 would fail. I upped the vcore one more bump and my temps would hit 54 C on the package and the CPU and then 2 cores would fail after about 1.5 hours. If I back the vcore down one bump only core #2 would fail. I'm running 4.5 again and will post all info. when it's done. Maybe the guru's will have some added things I could try.
Thanks

Nope. Nothing you can do without much better cooling. You need more vcore and that means more heat.

Here's all the info. after 2 hours prime95 stable at 4.5 GHZ. If you see anything more I can do let me know. All is appreciated. FX8350stable4.5.PNG

You can try banging that NB frequency up a little. 2400 for sure. You can try 2600 and see how it goes.

Other than that, you're in a good spot for what you're running.

Here's all the info. after 2 hours prime95 stable at 4.5 GHZ. If you see anything more I can do let me know. All is appreciated.View attachment 199206

you should check your command rate. That memory calls for 1 or 2T with the same timing sets..... you want to run 1T if possible.

Cpu package temp doesn't look too shabby. You have a nice overclock going there. How does it heat up at the same clocks but at 1.45v? If it doesn't break 52c, start increasing reference clock and see what you can squeeze from that chip. I don't see why you can't run 4.6ghz.....

you should check your command rate. That memory calls for 1 or 2T with the same timing sets..... you want to run 1T if possible.

Cpu package temp doesn't look too shabby. You have a nice overclock going there. How does it heat up at the same clocks but at 1.45v? If it doesn't break 52c, start increasing reference clock and see what you can squeeze from that chip. I don't see why you can't run 4.6ghz.....

I have the memory at 1T. I may try your suggestion sometime when I have spare time again. I'm thinking of getting water cooling and then try to get it higher. Thanks again everyone for your input.

I got a 120mm water cooler with 2 fans. I'm going to try this to see if I can get 4.6 or a little higher. I'll post more when I get the water cooler installed.

What you need is a 360 mm water cooler. A 120mm cooler may not give you as good a temps as your Hyper 212 evo.

What you need is a 360 mm water cooler. A 120mm cooler may not give you as good a temps as your Hyper 212 evo.

The specs I looked at show the rating for the Hyper 212 Evo as 150 watts and the 120mm water cooler is 200 watts. I thought that might give me a little more room temps wise.

I got a 120mm water cooler with 2 fans. I'm going to try this to see if I can get 4.6 or a little higher. I'll post more when I get the water cooler installed.

Not Going To Happen that is not enough cooler …… Like trents stated 120 X 3 cooler will be needed ……. you might get by with a 120 X 2 cooler but I doubt you will get past 4.5GHZ stable with that, depending on your chip of course.

Not Going To Happen that is not enough cooler …… Like trents stated 120 X 3 cooler will be needed ……. you might get by with a 120 X 2 cooler but I doubt you will get past 4.5GHZ stable with that, depending on your chip of course.

That's why I'm sweating the 2x140 loop I'm building for a FX8350.

Wow that's just baffles me. I guess I'll keep the Evo and just run the 8350 at 4.5. I got a water cooler I'll use as a paper weight.

Thanks all.

Eh, can't hurt to try. If everyone just went with Conventional Wisdom we wouldn't be here at OCF. Just trying to mitigate expectations, is all. :D

Maybe the water cooler will handle more watts than the evo air. But either one will likely be inadequate and I'm not sure how much I trust those cooler wattage ratings. Fact is, those 8 core FX chips typically produce 250-300 watts of heat when their overclock envelope is pushed beyond mid 4's ghz.

Last edited:
I was close to getting 4.6 ghz out of this cpu. I was hoping the water cooler would help drop the temps a few degrees to let me hit 4.6. If I could get 4.6 stable I would call that a win.

Madman just an FYI, I need a 3x120 rad to keep my chip cool enough for 4.7 on my 8350 but I also need 1.46 V for mine to be stable at 4.7. I also run my NB Freq at 2600 with the Nb Cpu V at 1.3875v so that also adds to the heat. Running Prime 95 I usually see around 46C max when running 2 hours with a 22c ambient temp.

Back