• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx 8350 overclock tips.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

hello guys i have a fx 8350 pared with a asus r9 390x will the cpu hold back the card ?

quastion 2

im running my cpu at 4.387ghz with a voltage during load of 1.408v lower its not stable it turns out i have a crappy cpu, 4.5 will do at 1.452v under load and 4.6ghz will not even run at 1.525v

running now with a fsb of 225 it will set the nb freq at 2475 and the ht also.

i set my cpu-nb voltage to 1.225v and all the rest at auto, can i do somting more?

the mother bord is a msi 970 gaming

313hdgj.png.jpg

and after setting the settings in the bios, i forgott to change the memory diverder, i left it at 1866mhz, stock, s its set it self at 2150 but with cas 13, while stock is c10, will the higher speed even if its not much give me more perfomence, then 1800c9

Last edited:
Three things stand out.

#1 ..... the mother bord is a msi 970 gaming - Msi and overclocking at least an AMD FX8XXX chip really don't belong together. The heat from the high power draw combined with a VERY poor power phase will limit you ALLOT.

#2 ..... MEMORY - Kingston HyperX Fury Red/black 4x4GB 1866MHz. - In some cases Kingston Ram real doesn't play well with AMD. We have had a couple users come through that have had marginal success but only after allot of fiddling. Compound that with populating all 4 slots which puts allot of added strain on the IMC and more heat.

#3 .... Cooler master Nepton 120XL - A single 120mm rad might not be enough of very much. Granted your temps on your screen shot only get up to 47*C for core temp, you will have to keep an eye on it. More of a concern your socket temp is hovering at 64*C already witch is where we find instability start to poke its head in and this is compounded by the lesser motherboard.

If you are having issues with your OC first take out 2 sticks of ram and only run 2 sticks. Second get some active cooling on your motherboard area concentrating on the VRM witch is right beside the socket to the left of the CPU. Get a fan blowing cool air onto this area and if you can another blowing cool air on the back side of your motherboard in the same area

turn off green features. Dont oc with fsb, see where you can get with just the multiplier first. SS under load would be nice. Socket and VRM cooling is a must as well.

Three things stand out.

#1 ..... the mother bord is a msi 970 gaming - Msi and overclocking at least an AMD FX8XXX chip really don't belong together. The heat from the high power draw combined with a VERY poor power phase will limit you ALLOT.

#2 ..... MEMORY - Kingston HyperX Fury Red/black 4x4GB 1866MHz. - In some cases Kingston Ram real doesn't play well with AMD. We have had a couple users come through that have had marginal success but only after allot of fiddling. Compound that with populating all 4 slots which puts allot of added strain on the IMC and more heat.

#3 .... Cooler master Nepton 120XL - A single 120mm rad might not be enough of very much. Granted your temps on your screen shot only get up to 47*C for core temp, you will have to keep an eye on it. More of a concern your socket temp is hovering at 64*C already witch is where we find instability start to poke its head in and this is compounded by the lesser motherboard.

If you are having issues with your OC first take out 2 sticks of ram and only run 2 sticks. Second get some active cooling on your motherboard area concentrating on the VRM witch is right beside the socket to the left of the CPU. Get a fan blowing cool air onto this area and if you can another blowing cool air on the back side of your motherboard in the same area

Thanks for your answer, oke but i just bought extra memory before i had 2x 4gb and still the same voltage needed, also the temps did not where that different.

seccond i can not put a fan directley on the vrams, but i have a cooler master jetflow blowing from top down on it, and i have to say, if i start hwmonitor somtimes the temp is higher then another time, i mean, somtimes if i start it it will give me a vram temp of 50 degrees, if i close it again and start it 1 more time it will give a 39 degrees temp, and i started the itb test when i just started op hw monitor.

like you can see in the next image, i,m now at 4.5ghz with more voltage then the 1 before, and now i,m also get 64 degrees on the vrams.

its not like this is stable i did alot of testing already, but the quastions is more.

will the cpu bottleneck my videocard, and do i have a crappy cpu because i can not get 4.5ghz with less voltage

2927n00.png.jpg

ps the voltage under load is 1.464v

From what I seen your Temps are 64*C CPU Socket (TMPN1) and CPU CORE of 53*C (package) Since we see very few MSI Boards here I will have to guess that TMPN1 is your socket temp, which is most likely correct. Although you are a little warm on your Socket Temp, we recommend staying below 65*C I don't think temps are your big issue right yet. In all likely hood your instability can be traced to the MSI Motherboard or your Kingston ram not a ****ty FX8350. The last good MSI AMD board was the MSI 790FX GD70. Take a look through the forums here just see how few MSI boards we get here in the forums.

I am gone for the weekend maybe someone else can help answer some questions. In the meantime ...... Download prime95, CPUZ from Cupid site and open CPU, Memory and SPD tabs (you can run multiple windows of CPUZ at the same time) along with HWMonitor and run a short 10 or 20min run of Prime with CPUZ tabs and HWMonitor open and get a screen shot of that when it is done Make sure all your green stuff is disabled in BIOS first. Post that and we shall see whats going on.

I doubt very much that your 8350 will bottle neck your single GPU. Now I am not a huge Gamer maybe someone else can explain it better for you or correct me if I am wrong.

You cpu may not be a strong sample, but honestly, I think it's the board more than anything. As bassnut mentioned, AMD MSI boards are notoriously weak in the VRM section.

For a frame of reference for the video card thing: my GTX670 doesn't seem to be bottlenecked by my cpu in most games at 4.2ghz with vsync on. I am not sure you would see much of a bottleneck anyways, but it is game dependent.

For the screenshot above, take not of your core speeds after all green functions are off in hardware monitor. You should not see any speed dips. If you do see a speed dip on any of the cores, the motherboard is thermal throttling.

You cpu may not be a strong sample, but honestly, I think it's the board more than anything. As bassnut mentioned, AMD MSI boards are notoriously weak in the VRM section.

For a frame of reference for the video card thing: my GTX670 doesn't seem to be bottlenecked by my cpu in most games at 4.2ghz with vsync on. I am not sure you would see much of a bottleneck anyways, but it is game dependent.

For the screenshot above, take not of your core speeds after all green functions are off in hardware monitor. You should not see any speed dips. If you do see a speed dip on any of the cores, the motherboard is thermal throttling.

oke so now i run at 4.3ghz with all the green setings off, under load the vcore drops to 1.376v in the bios it shows 1.384v and idle its at 1.392v

Any lower voltage as this its not even stable using itb 10 rounds

the option i used for cooling the vrams is i put a cooler master jetflow in the upper corner of the case to blow air over the vrams.

28rnlut.png.jpg

zl9npd.jpg

Does that fan have any airflow through the case? What I did was pull the fan off my stock AMD heatsink and wedge it in-between my VRM sink and the rear case fan.

Attachments

• 1465073950070.jpg
    1465073950070.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,426
Does that fan have any airflow through the case? What I did was pull the fan off my stock AMD heatsink and wedge it in-between my VRM sink and the rear case fan.

the fan is pulling air from the top in side yes, i have a cooler master xm that case has on the top to mesh openings where i can put a 200mm fan if i whant, so yes it has ai.

the problem i have is that if i put the stock fan on it it will run at full speed all the time, because its a 3 pin and i can not control that in the bios

it might be counter intuitive since youre trying to cool the vrm's, but id flip that fan over. further more, blowing/pulling air across the heatsink like that isnt as effective as directly down on it.

ok, a little info.
most games can not use more than four cores, so four cores are just making heat for you, let's go into bios and turn 4 cores off.
I have found that a lot of fx cpus just don't like more than 8 gigs of ram and many don't like more than 2 sitcks of ram, so let's pull 2 sicks of ram out.
with a single 390 card you need to shoot for a clock of 4.5 on the cores and 25-2600 on the cpu/nb and ht link.
other than in benchmarking for points this should do everything you want the rig to do.
set the memory manually to it's default voltage, timings and speed and leave it there, ram will gain you nothing in the real world and will only make your rig unstable.

ok, a little info.
most games can not use more than four cores, so four cores are just making heat for you, let's go into bios and turn 4 cores off.
I have found that a lot of fx cpus just don't like more than 8 gigs of ram and many don't like more than 2 sitcks of ram, so let's pull 2 sicks of ram out.
with a single 390 card you need to shoot for a clock of 4.5 on the cores and 25-2600 on the cpu/nb and ht link.
other than in benchmarking for points this should do everything you want the rig to do.
set the memory manually to it's default voltage, timings and speed and leave it there, ram will gain you nothing in the real world and will only make your rig unstable.

like i set before first i had only 2 sticks of ram, did not make any difference in needing less voltage, dont get me wrong i never set it is not stable at 4.5ghz but i just need 1.456v to get there.

second the problem with this bord is that i can not set the cpu-nb speed any different then 2200 what is stock, the only way i can is overclocking this thing by the fsb.

- - - Updated - - -

it might be counter intuitive since youre trying to cool the vrm's, but id flip that fan over. further more, blowing/pulling air across the heatsink like that isnt as effective as directly down on it.

i know its not so effective but like i set, if i use the stock cooler of the amd it will blow all the time at full speed

that fan install is fine, some of mine are strung out in space with zip ties!!!!!

Back