• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx-8350 potential O/C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrstmsfishin

I've had my self-built PC for about 9 months now (first time building) and im looking to overclock my FX-8350 to get some more juice particularly for performance in Arma3 (which im sure accounts for much of the complaining amongst the PC gaming community). I've attached my PC specs in my signature and must note that my PC freezes near the end of the prime95 blend test on the Asus optimal settings (which i still use most of the time), however im wondering if I can get a higher O/C out of my rig and would appreciate any insight and/or criticism/insults in how to achieve this hypothetical higher overclock if possible, and potentially an answer for my prime95 blend test failure at asus optimal 4.34ghz. I have pondered my RAM, PSU, or operator ineptitude as the cause of my problems and would appreciate any words of advice or hatred that are relevant.
Thank you

We really can just guess...

...and say do X when Y might be needed if you and us are not on the same page and we can see something of what is at your end which maybe 1000s of miles from us.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point. Make the adjustments outlined below first. Do no use any "genie overclocker" since it can change things not really visible to the naked eye.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Post up the pics that Rgone has indicated before we go any further. With that cooler you will be limited. I have almost the same one and compared it to a 212 Evo air cooler and it didn't perform much better at all.

We need to see your temps at load with where it is at also

Thank you for the help guys, I changed to all the settings recommended and reverted back to the stock 4.0ghz clock for the cpu z info (only thing i was confused to do was setting to performance mode in windows performance manager)

Here are my CPUz pictures:
cpuCapture.JPG
memCapture.JPG
spdCapture.JPG

Now heres where I think i might have some bigger issues, This HW capture is after I ran a prime95 blend test for 11 minutes before I stopped it manually after my cpu temp reached 61 C since I was expecting it to freeze around 62 like every other time Ive ran a blend test, but the thing is this test was ran at lower clock speed than I usually run my computer at normal 24/7.
hwmCapture.JPG

I have the monitoring data saved from the prime95 test if that helps but im more than acknowledging the fact my set up (being my first build ever) isnt a good cooling setup and im actually using a computer that isnt as well cooled as one you guys or an experienced person would have made, although ive had only 2 times after many hours of gaming where problems have arose, both being the computer just shuts off and to me indicated the cpu temp limit being reached.

Cooling ...... here we are just getting started and cooling is sticking its ugly head into the mix. If you are going to get much of an OC you have some issues to work out with your cooling. With a 61*C socket temp and 50*C core temp while at stock you need to get some air moving though your case and move the hot air sitting around your CPU Socket and get some better cooling then a single 120 AIO cooler for your chip. Neither issue is uncorrectable just needs some thought.

A sabertooth and an 8350 without overclocking haha. Thats like owning a ferrari and never pushing the gas pedal down :D'

On a productive note , when I run P95, my temps rise drastically, then level off at a point. Usually with a LONG test, it ran between 60 and 65c. After 12 hours it hit 72c, but thats 12 hours. Don't be afraid of a bit of heat (60c really isnt THAT high; considering intels and GPU's can hit 90c without any issues), but keep an eye on how fast it's going up. the siedon 120 is probably not enough for "extreme" overclocking, but 4.5 should really be doable.

Another thing to keep in mind, games don't usually require the stability of a file server. Don't stress yourself about 48 hours of p95 stable if youre just looking to game. Personally speaking I would trust a 30 minute p95 stable chip for gaming, but 2 hours has never failed me with any game or application. I run DAW with severely multithreaded applications and VST's and I've NEVER crashed on a 2 hour stable chip. Food for thought.

Last edited:
(bowing head in shame)
Well i just opened my case and double checked my radiator and fan set up, which i intended to be push/pull with radiator sandwiched in between, and realized my push/pull was actually pull/pull......That is the internal side fan was blowing into the compartment so i pointed that the right way and hopefully that may help.

significant change

It seems ive had a significant improvement, this capture I did after about 21 minutes of the blend test...

hwCapture2.JPG

(bowing head in shame)
Well i just opened my case and double checked my radiator and fan set up, which i intended to be push/pull with radiator sandwiched in between, and realized my push/pull was actually pull/pull......That is the internal side fan was blowing into the compartment so i pointed that the right way and hopefully that may help.

I can't speak for others here but I've done the same thing before. We all make mistakes but at least you didn't spend hours fiddling with it BEFORE you noticed. As RGone sayid the temps look way better now. From here just raise the multi .5 at a time and do a quick test till you fail, at that point you'll need to up the voltage. Just watch your temps and you'll be fine.

No man n0t arrows. You mean I don't have to power each fan up and see which way it blows and put it on before I forget the direction?

RGone...ster....:bang head:mad::bang head
Wrong Gonester, you need to try sticking your finger in it to see which direction it's blowing. If it draws blood that side is the intake :D Again DUH!!!! lol

This method is by far the best way to see which way a fan blows.

You two guys RRFH and Manny are on the ball. Been a few years but had a bud of mine fooling with those aluminum fans and sent me pic of pencil that was broken into from the blades. No apparent damage to the blade. Hehehe.

Finger in fan a sure fire method of determining direction if the pain does not make one forget. Hehehe.

RGone...ster........:chair:

You two guys RRFH and Manny are on the ball. Been a few years but had a bud of mine fooling with those aluminum fans and sent me pic of pencil that was broken into from the blades. No apparent damage to the blade. Hehehe.

Finger in fan a sure fire method of determining direction if the pain does not make one forget. Hehehe.

Ha!

You've shown me that pic, that's why those are the only fans I've ever covered on the inside of my case. That was nassssty!

hahaha well im glad im in good company with that mistake, the arrows were fairly evident too lol. I will try that .5 increase and see how it goes.
Thank you for the help guys too, i greatly appreciate it

Back