• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 Stock Vcore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skribble

Registered
in my bios it says

Normal CPU Vcore: 1.425

isn't this a little high at stock? everything is in default settings in the bios, i just noticed this when i was looking at cpu-z so i checked the bios and sure enough it was 1.425. I've been reading alot about overclocking and this seems a bit high no?

I have a few friends that have had BD and now PD and they indicate that as they have flashed to the later bioses, the 'default' Vcore has risen. If you want it lower...well then lower it.

i mean, is it safe to have it that high 24/7? Its the default recommended value right? Would you recommend lowering it?

There were some processors...

...processors that did not seem to pass stress testers like P95 Blend mode at the lower default voltges so I gues that the Bios engineers may have raised the default Vcore to make sure that users had no problems getting the boards to run well and not knowing much about their configurations.

Truly without some information, I would really not suggest anything if all is working well. I mean a voltage that is not causing problems is just that, not an issue. If you want a more educated suggestion follow along with the outline below and when you finish we shold have a good idea of wht is happening.

Generally speaking to suggest changes it is easier if we know certain things. Of course beginning with a setting that is 'known' to pass P95 Blend mode makes good sense, because a failed P95 Blend test is not going to give a baseline of a configuration that 'does' work.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

I had read that AMD was not posting a number that was the stock cpu voltage since the BD's were released and I just checked where I normally look and sure enough there was not stock / default Vcore listed. I checked a number of reviews of the FX-8350 and they were speaking of raising their Vcore from default on their mobo from 1.4 Vcore to the amount they needed for their overclock.

So some had a 1.4 default and your board is only showing 1.425V and that is not out of the realm of possible for the cpu I suppose. Like I said in the post above wthout some additional information it is just a guess to say lower it.

You asked would I lower mine? I would have already stressed my system to see where it stood by now. Then I would know for myself what I might consider doing with a stock HSF assembly.

alright, thank you so much for your help. Ill start getting the required pictures together and post them here. Give me a few moments =)

alright here are the pics. the hwmonitor one was taken after running prime95 blender for 20 mins i took the snip while it was still running.

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    18.9 KB · Views: 5,334
  • memory.PNG
    memory.PNG
    48.2 KB · Views: 4,975
  • spd.PNG
    spd.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 4,961
  • p95 hwmon.PNG
    p95 hwmon.PNG