• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 Throttling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Franz

Hello dear members, I need your help for the next reasson.

PC Specs before starting:

AMD Fx 8350 3,6 GHz - Stock fan.
ASUS M5A78L-M LX3
8GB RAM Corsair Vengeance
PNY Nvidia GTX 750 ti
2TB Toshiba @7200RPM
450w Power Supply that came with my Thermaltake V2 Plus case.

1 month ago I got the Fx 8350 after having a Fx 4350... But since I started playing, I noticed that I was getting FPS drops on some games sucha Flight Simulator X, World of Tanks, etc., where my FPS went down from 60 to 8-20, for about 10 seconds, after searching in forums, I noticed that the problem was the temperature, and to confirm this, I downloaded Speccy, a program to monitor my PC, I realized that when my CPU reaches 60 °C, the CPU fan increases its speed (and sound) until this lower the temperature to 40 °C, this occurs during these 10 seconds, so I modidifed the next things in the BIOS:

Cool'n'Quiet: OFF
Core C6: OFF
AMD TurboCore: OFF
Downclocked my CPU to 3,2 GHz

I didnt find the C1E state, and I think that its because my BIOS doesnt include it.

I kept searching, and I found this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... pub?gid=2# My board doesnt support 125w CPUs.

So, I dont have much money, as to buy a new board, so I want to know:

Is there a way to fix this throttling ONLY by buying a new CPU cooler?
Should I ONLY buy a new board instead of a cooler (let the stock fan)?

Regards.

A new cooler would help lots. For now you can try and upgrade the fan at the very least to a higher cfm fan, or directly wire the fan for 100% fan speed. The vrm package area (to the left of the cpu socket) also should have active cooling also. On top of that, you want as much case flow as possible to bring cool air in and push hot air out.

In the end the stock cooler is barely enough to cool this chip at stock, a Hyper 212 would do the trick nicely or look into some water cooling such as the h100i.

That board is weak on power delivery to that hungy FX-8350 so I wonder if these two settings are even in the bios so that the board might live? APM so you set to DISable and HPC or Performance Computing or some naming like that which you can ENable?

Shrimpy is surely not telling it any less than it is when he says you need more cooling. Fan/s blowing on the VRMs to the left of the cpu socket and more fan for the cpu itself most likely or in the better case a better cpu cooler.

RGone...

My advice would be to sell the ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 with the FX4350 and buy a better board and cooler.

+++^^^^^^^^ for Johan.

You might get by with better cooling but then again the board could, I don't mean will but could fizzle out on you if you end up pulling too much power / heat and take other parts along with it. Shrimpy probably knows the most among us about running an 8350 on a lesser board but for me that wouldn't be advisable. I would look to update the board first then cooling. Live with the stock cooler for a bit.

Selling the current board will not get him close enough to buy the right board.

Gaming experience between the quad and octo cores is negligible, be be better off to oc the quad and have better therms.

I just figured it might get him $100 closer to his goal than he is right now and there are a few newer sub $100 boards out there that do a fairly decent job at running an 8 core FX.

Meh, really depends on how fast we wanna go. Hes just doing what he can with it at stock.

I think better cooling yea... Would be easier to sell the 8 cores 4 of which probably stay unneeded most of the time.

Put the quad back in is what Im getting at here. Itll cure all the issues..... Or simply shut down 4 cores on the 8, save some money and get better cooling before a new board.

Meh, really depends on how fast we wanna go. Hes just doing what he can with it at stock.

That's why i said what I would do. I'm sure he could use it with lots of fans maybe some stick on heat sinks and a better cooler. I would leave it stock though without a doubt. For me I wouldn't invest the time or resources. I'd run the 4350 or run the 8350 on 4 cores like you said S_B spend some money on a cooler, then save for a better board.
The 4350 still sells for $100 new which is surprising so it should be worth something to some one. That's a start anyway there are reasonable boards out there like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57577&cm_re=asrock_970-_-13-157-577-_-Product

By a motherboard with at least 6+2 power phase rating and a big air cooler and your throttling problems, at least at stock frequencies and voltages should be gone.

The problem with his question is that there are too many answers and none are good. Get a better board, throw more fans at existing board, underclock and undervolt the 8350, put the 4350 back in, shut off four cores of the 8350........ The easiest thing would be to throw the 4350 back in. If he wants to put the work in he could sell the 4350 and the ASUS board for maybe $80. Put that towards a $100-$120 decent 990FX board. But then he should buy a better cooler too. So there is no uncomplicated way to do it. My advice would actually be sell the 8350, use his rig like he has it and save for a new rig down the line.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why i said what I would do. I'm sure he could use it with lots of fans maybe some stick on heat sinks and a better cooler. I would leave it stock though without a doubt. For me I wouldn't invest the time or resources. I'd run the 4350 or run the 8350 on 4 cores like you said S_B spend some money on a cooler, then save for a better board.
The 4350 still sells for $100 new which is surprising so it should be worth something to some one. That's a start anyway there are reasonable boards out there like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57577&cm_re=asrock_970-_-13-157-577-_-Product

You hardly ever hear of someone owning a 4300 or 4350. Everyone goes for the 6300 which is sometime actually cheaper.

AND then there is this "little" dumpling. >> 450w Power Supply that came with my Thermaltake V2 Plus case. << Which since I saw it since there is no signature, and just about fell out of my chair for having missed it. NO part he has is seemingly capable of supporting an FX-8350 8 core processor. Put the FX-4350 back in and save for all the decent parts of a new rig.

RGone...

AND then there is this "little" dumpling. >> 450w Power Supply that came with my Thermaltake V2 Plus case. << Which since I saw it since there is no signature, and just about fell out of my chair for having missed it. NO part he has is seemingly capable of supporting an FX-8350 8 core processor. Put the FX-4350 back in and save for all the decent parts of a new rig.

RGone...

A psu that came with a case. Never a good thing.

I had these problems to at first until I found some power saving features in the bios I shut off. It stopped throttling. That's the only thing I can think of that might cause the throttling other then the power supply and motherboard. So shut anything that has to do with hibernating and enables power saving features in windows and disable it in your motherboard.

I had these problems to at first until I found some power saving features in the bios I shut off. It stopped throttling. That's the only thing I can think of that might cause the throttling other then the power supply and motherboard. So shut anything that has to do with hibernating and enables power saving features in windows and disable it in your motherboard.

Well guys, so lets try it all before buying, can you explain me what you turned off, and If someone can explain me (in a good way) How to undervolt it correctly, I don't know much about it, thanks for all your repplies and help.

Well guys, so lets try it all before buying, can you explain me what you turned off, and If someone can explain me (in a good way) How to undervolt it correctly, I don't know much about it, thanks for all your repplies and help.
Franz before you do anything, you may want to see what 450w Psu you do have. From the pictures I've looked at, the PSU that comes with your case says it has a 25A 12v rail, but also says it's 237w. That is concerning to me, last I checked 25A on the 12v is 300w. Usually the ones that come with a case are not good at all, the fact that, it is stating numbers that do not add up makes me think it should be replaced with something much higher in quality. These Fx 8xxx chips draw a lot of power and if the Psu isn't up to the task it could let go. If you're lucky it will only fry the Psu, if you're not it could take everything else with it.

Franz, Mandrake4565 went to the website for that power supply and looked at the specs. Well 25A at 12V should by electrical formula for Watts, be 300 watts but that is not how the power supply is shown to be rated. So if they cannot get the formula correct for that power supply...what else is not just right? That was what Mandrake was talking about. Additionally just 237 watts as TT calls the rating is cutting it oh so very close to having enough +12Volt power for AMD FX 8 core processor. That is what was trying to be said.

RGone...

Back