• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8350 Throttling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah....25a ain't gonna cut it. 40a minimum IMO.
Scotty did you look on the side of the unit? It says 25A on the 12 V and also 237w max output power directly below it. Um what? :D I will also add the 3.3v and 5V rail says 150w when the 3.3 V rail is 21A and the 5V is 15.

I say this with all good intentions Franz, do yourself a favor and get a new PSU. Something like this one

Last edited:
Ow man... bad thing that I don't have much money to buy all those things... uh...

Ow man... bad thing that I don't have much money to buy all those things... uh...

Well if you have no money to fix the problems, then suggest you put the FX-4350 back in the cpu socket and run it until you can afford to make changes that will allow the FX-8350 I core cpu run without so many issues.

Because:

AMD Fx 8350 3,6 GHz - Stock fan. We have not seen anyone with the stock cooler do well at all.
ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 That board with minimal cooling just cannot supply enough power to the CPU under load.
8GB RAM Corsair Vengeance
PNY Nvidia GTX 750 ti
2TB Toshiba @7200RPM
450w Power Supply that came with my Thermaltake V2 Plus case. Not enough power supply to feed that power hungry FX-8350 under a good load.

Run the FX-4350 until you CAN buy replacement parts. There is not much more really that we see from experience you can do on the cheap. Just too many too minimal parts to do much on the cheap.

RGone...

Can you afford to replace the whole setup if the Psu goes and takes the whole thing with it? We have seen it happen.

I see 2 things you can do,
1. Put the 4350 back in and save up to get better MB and PSU and better cooling.
2. Go in the BIOS and disable 4 of the cores on the 8350 till you can save for the MB and PSU and better cooling.

With 2, you don't have to do a lot of work, just go in the BIOS :)

W_HEQ, not sure how that early chipset motherboard will actually work to try and DISable cores. To get to that menu in bios which is set up for Phenom processors you have to turn on ACC which is no longer supported with later cpus or is an antiquated AMD process. ACC was dropped from most AMD bioses by at least the 8xx chipset if I remember correct. Sort of gave me the 'shakes' when I looked at his manual and bios to see if you could even turn off a core.

RGone...

W_HEQ, not sure how that early chipset motherboard will actually work to try and DISable cores. To get to that menu in bios which is set up for Phenom processors you have to turn on ACC which is no longer supported with later cpus or is an antiquated AMD process. ACC was dropped from most AMD bioses by at least the 8xx chipset if I remember correct. Sort of gave me the 'shakes' when I looked at his manual and bios to see if you could even turn off a core.

RGone...

Well, with my GA-880GA-UD3H, GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.0, 3.0x2, GA-990FXA-UD5 R5, I have the option to disable some or all but 1 core.
If his MB can't disable 4 cores, then I'm not sure what he has, the below pic and text is from 1 of my 990FXA manuals.

GA-Core.jpg
CPU core Control (Note 1)
Allows you to determine whether to manually enable/disable CPU cores. Automatic mode allows the BIOS
to enable all CPU cores (number of cores available depends on the CPU being used). (Default: Automatic
mode)

Like I said, I went and downloaded the mobo manual for his ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 mobo and looked and the bios has the layout of a 6 year old 790/750 chipset motherboard. NOT anything like your mobo W_HEQ. Nothing like it.

RGone...

Agreed that is what his bios says and ACC is not current for FX processors or really since the onset of Phenom 2. I just don't know what an FX processor would do when subjected to ACC. He has enough troubles with weak board and then maybe to dork a cpu is not something I "know" the outcome about.

RGone...

Just to confirm.....

Jah, it'll shut down cores. My M5A did just fine shutting off cores running LN2 up to 7800mhz. This should be a non-issue.

However, OP does not have the cooling capacity for 8 VRMs or 8 cores. So overclocking will likely be at a minimum no matter what he does.

Also won't have the power out put from the PSU either.
Yeah....25a ain't gonna cut it. 40a minimum IMO.

So many issues with this set up.....

Back