• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8370 overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kthnxbaiqq

Registered
Hello ,

Im new to this forum and i want to get into overclocking , do you guys have any tips or guides for overclocking an fx8370?

My currect build is :

RoG Crosshair v formula z - mobo
fx 8370 - cpu
H105 - cooling
450D - case
Ax860i - PSU
Asus GTX970 - GPU
16gb corsair vegeance - RAM

Hello ,

Im new to this forum and i want to get into overclocking , do you guys have any tips or guides for overclocking an fx8370?

My currect build is :

RoG Crosshair v formula z - mobo
fx 8370 - cpu
H105 - cooling
450D - case
Ax860i - PSU
Asus GTX970 - GPU
16gb corsair vegeance - RAM

Welcome to OCF kthnxbaiqq:welcome:
Looks like you've got the parts to do it. Here's a guide http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688663
It's a bit older but still relevant for the 8370. Have a read through and it'll help you understand what we're going to do and some of the terms we'll be using. Nice to have you aboard.

Download and install these three free programs that are standard tools around here when overclocking: CPU-z, HWMonitor (non pro version) and Prime95.

The first thing to do is to run a stress test to check baseline temps before you start overclocking.

Here's how:
1. Open HWMonitor on the desktop and leave it open while . . .
2. You run a 20 minute Prime95 "blend" stress test.
3. Before you close HWMonitor, capture the image with something like Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Please crop away the extra screen real estate before capturing and saving. We don't need to see hour whole desktop.
4. Post back with the HWMonitor image as an attachment. To attach an image click on Go Advanced and when the Advanced post window appears click on the paperclip tool. The rest will be obvious.

Ok so here is the results from the blend test , how should i proceed ? do i need to make any settings to the bios before i start messing around ? and how do these temps voltages look compare to others? default settings 2.png

Attachments

• Default settings.png
    Default settings.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 23,005
Your best bet is to read the guide that Johan linked, It's pretty self explanatory.

Im currently sitting at 4.3ghz at 1.38V , and my temps are CPU 53C / MoBo 28C. Should i continue to 4.5 ? what would be the ideal ratio of CPU ratio vs Voltage?

It's easier if you post a screen shot of Hwmonitor under load for us to see what's what temperature and voltage wise. Additionally screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory can be helpful.

Should i continue to 4.5 ? what would be the ideal ratio of CPU ratio vs Voltage?
No one can tell you, every Cpu is different. If I had a Fx 8370 9 times out of 10 they would require different voltages for X Oc. Recommended temps are to stay below 70c on the Cpu and 62 C on the package under load. It's is up to you to decide what you are comfortable with. If you see my signature I run my 8350 at 4.7 for 24/7 usage. I have tested my chip stable up to 5.1 on the custom H2O loop in my sig. Reason I run 4.7 is because the voltage necessary and heat generated to run 5.1 in my mind is silly. Even 4.8 on my chip requires a significant bump in voltage, therefore I chose 4.7 Ghz. I can run 4.7 a 1.46875 Cpu v and with the cooling I have my temps never go above 50c even under full load. That's my choice for my rig, if you're comfortable pushing higher depending on what we see, in your Hwmonitor SS I see not reason to try for 4.5. Though you're better off trying 4.4 1st, get it tentatively stable by running Prime Blend 20 minutes then try for 4.5.

Mandrake 4565, pretty well rounded advice...

...advice on why we may pick one speed that may in fact be lower than the very fastest we can make our cpu go with stability. I much like you can get 5.2Ghz stable for +2 hours of P95 Blend mode, but the return on extra heat from the raised voltage to run that speed is just not worth it for 24/7 use. Sometimes the quiet from running a little slower and being able to turn the fans down just a notch is worth it for many people.

Another interesting thing that I have found is that for me if I cannot pickup about 300Mhz extra cpu speed, then I can hardly tell any difference in the lesser clock. So when I reach a certain point and struggle for the extra just 100Mhz, I let if fall back since nothing done daily will feel that extra 100Mhz. Now yes I can just about feel 300Mhz. Strange how our rigs can often seem to just work well.
RGone..ster.

Another interesting thing that I have found is that for me if I cannot pickup about 300Mhz extra cpu speed, then I can hardly tell any difference in the lesser clock. So when I reach a certain point and struggle for the extra just 100Mhz, I let if fall back since nothing done daily will feel that extra 100Mhz. Now yes I can just about feel 300Mhz. Strange how our rigs can often seem to just work well.
RGone..ster.
Especially with what you use your rig for, you have perceptible gains that you can actually measure. Example: If increasing your cpu speed will net you say 5 minutes less time rendering it is worth while. For most people it will be un-noticeable. While gaming at 5.1 over 4.7 I see maybe 2-3 FPS while measuring with Fraps, but I cannot perceive any difference when actually playing.

These are the temps after a 20 minute FFT stress test , the temps on the CPU after a 1 hour FFT were 2 degrees hotter at 59C - 60C.
What is the difference between CPU and the Package tab under my fx 8370?
Also what temps and volts should i be more conserned about ?

Cpu is the socket temp, package temp is the core temp, keep them below 70c and 62c respectively and you're good to go. Those are the two temps you should be concerned about. Your voltage is fine at 1.40 actually that a pretty good OC at those volts. See if you can pass 2 hours of Prime Blend where your at now.

So 70 for the CPU and 62 for the Package ? Nice I still have some room to go then , I thought CPU was limited at 62. I'll try the blend test and post results tonight. Thanks for the input ;)

So 70 for the CPU and 62 for the Package ? Nice I still have some room to go then , I thought CPU was limited at 62. I'll try the blend test and post results tonight. Thanks for the input ;)
Yes figure you have about 13c headroom to play with. Just to let you in to my mindset. Reason I asked for you to try and run Prime Blend for two hours is, when you start getting in the upper 4's on these Fx 8xxx chips, you will see that you will need significantly more voltage for each +100 Mhz. It can be very easy to lose your way, especially when you a new to Ocing. Having a known "stable" point to reference back to, if you lose your way, is very very helpful. Additionally, you should be taking notes of all the changes you make, this will also be helpful if you need to reset the OC in the BIOS. Finally, post up some screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory.

if you lose your way, is very very helpful. Additionally, you should be taking notes of all the changes you make, this will also be helpful if you need to reset the OC in the BIOS. Finally, post up some screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory.

You can say that again. I had a 'known' cpu on an unknown board and got up pretty high in the 5.0Ghz range and all the wheels fell off. Screwed with it for about an hour and was sure I had dorked the cpu, so much so that I had to swap motherboards back to my 'known' mobo to make sure the cpu was history. Back to my known playing field with note taken after note taken and nothing was wrong with the cpu. Just lost my way at high clocks and high voltages. The more notes the better when really pushing these cpus that have to have big boosts in Vcore and often CPU_NB voltage to get over the next stair step in clocking upward.
RGone...

Blend.png blend1.png Bllend2.png

So these are the results after a 10hour Blend test tempts are about the same as the 2hour FFT , this weekend ill be trying to get it up to 5ghz. I also included pics of memory and spd , i dont quite understand what those are though anyone could explain ? ;p

If you look at the memory tab you'll see what your memory is currently running. Check the SPD tab and under the XMP-1600 , that's what your timings should be for that ram to have better performance. When in BIOS go to the memory timings section in tweaker and then go to tools and SPD. You'll be able to switch back and forth between those two screens. Just set the timings you see in the XMP profile on the screen here and leave the rest on auto. Tighter ram is harder on the CPU so you may need to make other adjustments before you can continue since this may cause some instability.

So what you are saying is change the values from 11-11-11-28-39 to 7-8-8-24-41 ? and that would give me better RAM preformance and less stress on my CPU? those are the only changes i should make? Also where does the NB frequency (2200) listed under the memory tab come in play ? and what exactly does it do ? sorry for asking so many questions but rather than just doing as im told i'd like to learn a thing or two ;p
Thanks.

So what you are saying is change the values from 11-11-11-28-39 to 7-8-8-24-41 ? and that would give me better RAM preformance and less stress on my CPU?
Yes better ram performance but it will also stress the Cpu IMC a bit more.

The Nb frequency speed determines the efficiency and bandwidth capacity of the Memory controller. At 1600 Mhz you really will not see much difference by running it higher. If you do push the memory higher it will come into play.

So I should leave the NB freq at 2200 and just change the timing values ? I was doing some research and from my understanding that would put more stress on the cpu , correct ? I read where people with 1600mhz RAM start it at 1333 with the timing values of their 1600 RAM would that help ? Or should I leave it at 1600 and modify my timings to something like 9-9-9-24? Is what I'm saying making any sense ? haha

Back