• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 8370 Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregsta

MY SET UP IS:
AMD FX-8370 8-Core FX Series
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 AMD 970 (Socket AM3+) DDR3 Motherboard
Corsair Hydro Series H75 Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with 120mm Radiator and Dual SP120L PWM Fans
Corsair CX600M Modular ATX Power Supply — 600 Watt 80 PLUS Bronze Certified
CORS 2x4GB VENG PRO 2133 SILV
BEQUIET SB800 BLACK CASE

Will I be able to overclock at all with this set up ? or have I wasted my money, as am sure you all know these FX 8370 run hot Hmmmm . I hope this is not going to be bad news hmmmmm :( and if I can overclock what would I reach before it became unstable?:fight:

I think IF you can overclock will depend on what your defintion of overclock amounts to. If you refer to an overclock in the 4.3GHz to maybe 4.5GHz, then you should be okay. If you think overclock means 4.8GHz or so which many of the FX-8370s will do then your board does not have a hardy/hefty enough VRM section and the CPU cooler is not nearly robust enough to handle more than maybe 4.5GHz.

In truth I expect the H-75 AiO water cooler to be more of a handicap up to 4.5GHz-ish than the 970 EVO mobo with what looks like 6+2 VRM section.

NOTE: when you water cool the cpu the 'expected' air overflow from an air cpu cooler is missing and needs replacing with fan blowing onto the VRM section of the motherboard.

So can you overclock? Yes, but your rate of extra cpu speed will be limited by a somewhat lesser board and the cpu cooling currently available. Within reason you should have success but only in the doing will the actual results be determined. Luck man.

RGone...

My advice would be to read up on one of the FX overclock tutorial threads and get at it. Learn about the bios settings of your board. Then post your results with screenshots that RGone will tell you about and the guys here will help you out. The guys in this forum are amazing.

Back