• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx 9590/ sabertooth 990fx rev2 simple solution for a pain in the *** cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whalejuice

Registered
hello guys new to the forums here. for the longest time i have had issues with my 9590 it would lock up all the time with default bios settings and the only way to get around it was to disable turbo core and the 5ghz claim to fame is one of the reasons anyone even bothers with the damn thing in the first place. quick specs of my set up below
fx9590
asus sabertooth rev2
crucial balistix 1866mhz(16gb)
g1 gaming 980ti
735wpsu
custom water loop 240mm rad

so i have finally made a break through and gained some stability as well as dropped load temps down from 53-55c all the way down to 45-47c in cinebench
the solution? i added a 90mm fan fastened with a rubber band and 2 screws to the vcore heat sink on the mother board. so with this simple addition i am currently siting at 5ghz on all 8 cores (turbo disabled) WITH no additional voltage
i never would have thought this would have helped considering my case has lots of fans and great airflow. and i was starting to lose hope, but this works for me :attn:
i hope this helps if anyone else is having similer issues.

Thanks for posting whale. Yes these Fx 9590's are a royal Pia from what I've seen. They're binned so they can clock to 5.0 but the voltage requirements to do so will overwhelm most users cooling. The steps you have taken to get the VRM cooler are helpful, you can also try putting a fan on the backside of the motherboard if you have the room. This will help get the socket temp down a bit. If you want to have a read, one of our member did a little write up one what he needed to do, to get his 9590 running well. See this thread.

Whalejuice, thanks for sharing you findings, always good to have data out there for others trying to use these chips. The FX-9590 is a beast of a processor, and the thermal considerations to keep it stable are certainly not to be taken lightly. I can definitely speak first-hand to the benefits of Mandrake's suggestion to have a fan blowing on the back of the socket from the other side-- it probably lowered my socket temps by about 5-10 degrees C on my overclocked FX-6300 (I have a cheapo motherboard though, so your results may not be as much as mine). My case didn't have anything to attach the fan with, so I just used some strips of Velcro (or double-sided tape) to stick a fan to the backplate behind the mobo, which worked just fine for me.

If you want to be 100% sure your system is stable, I think that Prime95 on blend test is the preferred stress-tester among users here. If your machine can run for a couple hours on that without throwing errors or overheating, you can be pretty confident that your system is going to hold up to prolonged use even in heavy-computing tasks like games or simulations.

Last edited:
Any chance of a pic ? most likely will help my little 8370 break 4.9ghz on air ;)

20151218_225330-1024x1820.jpg
20151218_225819-1024x1820.jpg
Here are some pics of my set up
As you can see with the fan very simple I used 2 fan screws
And 2 rubber bands
Just be carefully and don't force the screw into the heat sink :p
But all in all it works well and doesn't make any noise

- - - Updated - - -

^there we go

Sweet! What fan is that looks like a noctua. If it is I did not know they made then that small

Brilliant, thank you, will see if I have any lying around and will try it out :)

Question though, as I have the NH-D15, wont this push the hot air circling from the block -> back 140mm fan into the VRM's ?

Thanks for sharing this. However I see a future problem that shouldn't be considered by liquid cooling users. The Zip Ties you are using for clamps on all your barbs is scary to me.

As a precaution, at least double them on each barb in case one decides to let go. Small hose clamps are pretty cheap and go a long way would also be much less likely to leak or let loose on you.

Just food for thoughts, other than that a very nice looking set up. Glad you got 5ghz with a simple cooling mod. It's nice to keep VRMs from sharing heat with the Cpu socket and visa versa. This idea has been implemented through many socket era of processors and still continues to this day keeping temps lower.

Should be able to squeeze another 100mhz or better from it now eh?

2 thumbs up :D

5200mhz 9590 load temp.png

Brilliant, thank you, will see if I have any lying around and will try it out :)

Question though, as I have the NH-D15, wont this push the hot air circling from the block -> back 140mm fan into the VRM's ?
Never tried it on air Kenrou, I suggest it mostly to people running these Fx 8/9xxx chips on water. Reason being, when you go water it removes the air that would be flowing over the heatsinks from the Air heatsink.

I'm using quality fittings and thick wall hose. With out the zip tie clamps the hose is a very strong connection on the barb so much so that when I was building the loop and had pull the hose off one of the fittings it would not budge and I had to cut the hose off with a razor blade. The zip ties are for my piece of mind just in case: p

Back