• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX cpu's bad reputation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrisjames61

Reading the various forums it is pretty obvious lots of people buy boards that are only marginally "FX cpu compatible". Lots of these boards are Micro ATX, some are full ATX, 4+1 phase power, no mosfet cooling, small chipset heatsinks. The advertising makes them sound great though. The common denominator is that these boards are cheap. Human nature being what it is people buy them. The user has high expectations. Then they find they can't overclock. They may not even be able to run at stock speeds without throttling. The easiest thing to blame is the AMD cpu. Then the forums are flooded with negative posts from these end users. They tell people they know "get Intel, AMD is terrible. This perception has to be damaging to AMD.

Not to people who know what they're talking about. AMD mostly caters to the server and OEM markets, not the enthusiasts that would be saying that kind of crap. Bet it affects less than 1%.

Last edited:
I'm an AMD guy, they're a lot of fun. Been playing with a 955 I just got. It would run just fine on those cheap boards. That's where AMd's hype did them wrong" so easy to OC". People underestimate the needs of the FX series and have bad experiences. Word travels. Is that AMD's fault , yes it is ! But they can't ake all the blame, the mobo manufacturers make boards the according to someone's specs should be able to run the CPU and maybe they will but as you just said chris people believe too much and the board let's them down. We spend so much time being the " Mobo Police" it's tiring.

But then you have the pre builts that barely run at stock. Doesn't matter what "smart people " would do. Besides you have to admit, AMD made a light dimming, room heating, step backward, Scotty. Then sold it like an overclockers wet dream.

But then you have the pre builts that barely run at stock. Doesn't matter what "smart people " would do. Besides you have to admit, AMD made a light dimming, room heating, step backward, Scotty. Then sold it like an overclockers wet dream.
Ahhh, but they sold it. Whether it's was a 'step backwards' or not. It was not marketed toward overclockers. It never was. AMD has stated over and over that they will not be competing in the enthusiast market. That was a couple years ago. What people do with it after they buy it is on them, not AMD.
What makes this any different than Intel's net burst?

I dont know how many times ive heard from this forum and forums alike "you should upgrade your mobo to overclock xxx cpu" just because it can work doesn't mean it will be great

I'm an AMD guy, they're a lot of fun. Been playing with a 955 I just got. It would run just fine on those cheap boards. That's where AMd's hype did them wrong" so easy to OC". People underestimate the needs of the FX series and have bad experiences. Word travels. Is that AMD's fault , yes it is ! But they can't ake all the blame, the mobo manufacturers make boards the according to someone's specs should be able to run the CPU and maybe they will but as you just said chris people believe too much and the board let's them down. We spend so much time being the " Mobo Police" it's tiring.

For every one guy who posts on these forums with a Sabertooth Rev.2 there seems to be six who have an MSI board just waiting to explode. The user is invariably disappointed when RGone tells them the cold, hard truth that they need a better board to stretch their new eight core. Some even get angry.

Looks like Deneb would have just as much trouble on cheap boards, because it looks like the same higher TDP. (With 125 W likely typical.) :(

Sadly, it looks like the 955 uses the same amount of watts as a hex core version. (Phenom II)

Are there even 95 W TDP versions of the 955?

For every one guy who posts on these forums with a Sabertooth Rev.2 there seems to be six who have an MSI board just waiting to explode. The user is invariably disappointed when RGone tells them the cold, hard truth that they need a better board to stretch their new eight core. Some even get angry.

Those people are idiots. If you buy the cheapest board you can find and slap any high end processor into it, you are just asking for problems. If you don't research your purchases, you are bound to get burnt eventually. I have no pity or sympathy for people who blindly buy things without a single thought.

This reminds me of my best friend. He bought an 1100T, and bought the cheapest asus board he could that "supported" his processor. The board had a .1v droop under load when overclocked, and could barely run the processor at stock. I warned him when he was buying the system that you get what you pay for with motherboards, but he insisted on being a cheapskate. He still talks smack about asus to this day, even though it was his own fault for being cheap. Some people just expect to get more than they pay for, and have to learn reality the hard way.

Looks like Deneb would have just as much trouble on cheap boards, because it looks like the same higher TDP. (With 125 W likely typical.) :(

Sadly, it looks like the 955 uses the same amount of watts as a hex core version. (Phenom II)

Are there even 95 W TDP versions of the 955?
Trust me it's just not the same 6350FX vs the 1090T I have just don't compare on the workload to the power delivery.

Those people are idiots. If you buy the cheapest board you can find and slap any high end processor into it, you are just asking for problems. If you don't research your purchases, you are bound to get burnt eventually. I have no pity or sympathy for people who blindly buy things without a single thought.

This reminds me of my best friend. He bought an 1100T, and bought the cheapest asus board he could that "supported" his processor. The board had a .1v droop under load when overclocked, and could barely run the processor at stock. I warned him when he was buying the system that you get what you pay for with motherboards, but he insisted on being a cheapskate. He still talks smack about asus to this day, even though it was his own fault for being cheap. Some people just expect to get more than they pay for, and have to learn reality the hard way.

I always used Macs working in graphic arts. I actually overclocked a few by changing clock ratio resistors on motherboards. I decided to build a pc around March 2013 just for fun. I built a A10-5800K with a ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 FM2. For what I need its more than enough. I started reading these forums and got really interested in AMD stuff. In the past year I have built around ten rigs just for fun. my favorites being a 8320, 6300, 965 BE, 1055T, 1070T, 960T/1605T. One thing I learned quick was to buy motherboards recommended by the regulars here. I haven't had any buyers remorse because I listened before I spent my money.

I always used Macs working in graphic arts. I actually overclocked a few by changing clock ratio resistors on motherboards. I decided to build a pc around March 2013 just for fun. I built a A10-5800K with a ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 FM2. For what I need its more than enough. I started reading these forums and got really interested in AMD stuff. In the past year I have built around ten rigs just for fun. my favorites being a 8320, 6300, 965 BE, 1055T, 1070T, 960T/1605T. One thing I learned quick was to buy motherboards recommended by the regulars here. I haven't had any buyers remorse because I listened before I spent my money.

Exactly. Smart guy does his research. ;)
See post 5.

1100T. Even today you could build a pretty good rig around it.

I just ditched all of my 6300's and got 1090t's, I have the one, lone 6300 over in the junk pile just in case.
It may put a lip lock on the power cord but i have it if i need the nip at johans heels.
if you will look at my bone pile thread you will see that i was guilty as sin of cheap board buying, a mistake i will never make again. I will buy the best board i can buy and cheap out on the processor every time.

on the sever side of things, next month we will change out the cpu's for the 6386 processors these will work like slaves i'm told and cost less than the 6272's in it now to boot, and they are on the piledriver cores.

Last edited:
interesting post. I was a amd fan forever. started with a fx-55 skt 939. ended at the fx-8120. probably had every amd cpu in between but amd lost me at the fx-8120. the 1090t was probably the best they have done. moved on to intel at this time. I will say though my fx-8120 still runs to this day after pushed to over 5.0ghz. its a hot sob that requires extra cooling but hey it still lives.

Back