• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-series and Turbo Boost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anonaru

Well, I'm accustomed to using boost on intel parts when OCing for better temps and to keep needless wear off of my parts..

I have absolutely no idea the dynamics behind the boost technology built into new AMD chips. I see most people disable it. Is it useful for anything? Does it disable some cores? I've wonderered if it is something that could be set in order to increase game performance when lighter threading is needed (Currently I have to do this manually by disabling a module and then increasing OC, can get an extra 350MHz~ out of this).

Anybody been tinkering around with AMD's Boost technology? Anybody familiar with exactly how it works? Anything I read about it gives some mixed garble as to what it actually does, ranging from disabling of cores + frequency boost to simply boosting frequency :shrug:

There's a good article over at Toms comparing Intels Turbo Boost w/ AMDs Turbo Core, w/ explanations and benchmarks of each...

CORE Or Boost? AMD's And Intel's Turbo Features Dissected
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/turbo-boost-turbo-core-six-core,2690.html

Why the fludd do these things not come up when I search for them?? :bang head

Thanks a ton good sir

Edit: Its a pity these do not run up on how well / poorly OCing works with turbo, etc. I'll probably just continue doing gaming optimization randomly. What a shame :\

Last edited:
AMD's Turbocore is certainly not setup to operate like the Intel Turboboost operates.

That having to have a 2 cores of a quad core FX or 4 cores of an octo core FX fully loaded "only" before 2 or 4 cores are idled and the other cores accelerated based on sensed TDP, is not like Intel works at all. I would not expect the 6 core FX to ever accelerate any cores based on the odd half number of 3 cores having to be fully loaded to do anything about acceleration of the other three cores of the six.

I don't game but after seeing the rendering times of my 8120 vs my i860 with HT enabled, I moved all my video editting and rendering to the FX-8120 on my CHV board.

With the fast and accurate azz LLC circuit on the CHV I can leave Cool N Quiet enabled and go into windows power management and set the balanced mode to Full Load 100% (default) and set idle to 15% not the 5 % default. What this does is let me surf the web at approx. 1450Mhz and when I begin to render the cpu jumps immediately to 4.5Ghz all 8 cores ON for the heavy job of rendering. This brings about a serious temperature drop when doing jack squat and does not hurt my overclock at all.

I know we have folks disabling most green shett to overclock but with a good mobo, this certainly is not necessary. Over the life that I use a mobo, the more money for an excellent mobo will likely be recovered in saved electrical energy. At least I think that way. Hehehe.

I would certainly try a simllar arrangement on your UD3 and it will save wear and tear as we call it.

RGone...ster. :chair:

AMD's Turbocore is certainly not setup to operate like the Intel Turboboost operates.

That having to have a 2 cores of a quad core FX or 4 cores of an octo core FX fully loaded "only" before 2 or 4 cores are idled and the other cores accelerated based on sensed TDP, is not like Intel works at all. I would not expect the 6 core FX to ever accelerate any cores based on the odd half number of 3 cores having to be fully loaded to do anything about acceleration of the other three cores of the six.

I don't game but after seeing the rendering times of my 8120 vs my i860 with HT enabled, I moved all my video editting and rendering to the FX-8120 on my CHV board.

With the fast and accurate azz LLC circuit on the CHV I can leave Cool N Quiet enabled and go into windows power management and set the balanced mode to Full Load 100% (default) and set idle to 15% not the 5 % default. What this does is let me surf the web at approx. 1450Mhz and when I begin to render the cpu jumps immediately to 4.5Ghz all 8 cores ON for the heavy job of rendering. This brings about a serious temperature drop when doing jack squat and does not hurt my overclock at all.

I know we have folks disabling most green shett to overclock but with a good mobo, this certainly is not necessary. Over the life that I use a mobo, the more money for an excellent mobo will likely be recovered in saved electrical energy. At least I think that way. Hehehe.

I would certainly try a simllar arrangement on your UD3 and it will save wear and tear as we call it.

What?

AMD's Turbo works like this:
2 Turbo States = One middle pstate for 50-99% workload, another is the highest pstate for low threaded workloads <50%. Shifts on/off between all states very rapidly.

Intel's Turbo works like this:
Dynamic Turbo States = One middle pstate range (100 MHz incriment) for 50-99% workload, another is (usually) the highest pstate for low threaded workloads (1-2 threads) changes dynamically very rapidly

From what I have seen/heard, Turbo is greatly improved over Llano/Phenom II on Bulldozer and much improved over Bulldozer on Trinity and Vishera - with Turbo Core 3.0 ON, Turbo will engage 80-90%+ (HIGHEST pstate) all the way through multithreaded workloads like x264 video encoding, Cinebench R11.5, etc...almost anything but Prime95.

Essentially both are the same.

The article at Tom's Hardware is over 2 years old and applies ONLY to Phenom II X6, in which case Turbo is useless (0 to 1% performance gain overall).

Last edited:
I could not believe the illustrious "redduc900" would link us so far into the past. But stuff happens. The PileDriver Turbocore does not even work exactly like the Bulldozer Turbocore works. So there is much to uncover in the light of today.

Once I get my new Rana cooler burnt in and running how I like it, I'll go ahead and see if I can get an OC working in the manner you have there RG--

I was hoping to get turbo to boost it even further on the lightly threaded loads for maximum gaming benefit :D

I'll toy around with it n see what it does for meh

...This brings about a serious temperature drop when doing jack squat and does not hurt my overclock at all.

I know we have folks disabling most green shett to overclock but with a good mobo, this certainly is not necessary. Over the life that I use a mobo, the more money for an excellent mobo will likely be recovered in saved electrical energy. At least I think that way. Hehehe...

Yes. I have all the green shett enabled and use Turbo Core to overclock exclusively. In all of my benchmarks, with a close eye on OHM to monitor clock speeds, all cores jump to Turbo speeds under load and stay there until temps begin to rise, usually after about 30 secs at 100% CPU at 4.6GHz until OHM shows "37C" or so. Many believe that you should add 20C to any temp reading given by a Trinity chip, so that's 57C before the CPU clocks back down to 3.8GHz, and if temps continue to rise, 1.4GHz. What I've noticed is two cores (#2 and #4) will clock down first. This is consistent with their behavior otherwise; #1 and #3 get the most utilization at any given point. Perhaps AMD identifies the strongest cores on each chip (like how they identify a weak core on a 4-core Athlon/Phenom chip, disable it, and sell it as a 3- or 2-core).

At any rate, since thermal production is determined by the CPU as well as the IMC and GPU on the Trinity chips, I like to keep it as low as possible to give lower temps on, say, games that demand a lot of GPU and not so much CPU (Skyrim), and vice versa (Minecraft).

Okay "visiblegorilla", want to get my head around some of this stuff. I don't have nor any time soon will go APU, but there are those that do come with questions.

1. A10-5800K has default frequency of 3.8Ghz and Turbocore speed of 4.2Ghz. You say you let yours go to 4.6Ghz. Did you up the Turbo multiplier in bios?

2. As I described to "Anonaru", my cores do not throttle down at all due heat. The method I described does not use Turbocore at all. But a full on overclock on all cores to a reduced speed by about 3.0Ghz with no load and then back to full on overclock at 4.5Ghz on all cores when loaded and the 4.5Ghz has no reduction in speed due to heat or load.

I would assume your setup could duplicate but temps would get out of hand??

I tried to write that accurately.

I could not believe the illustrious "redduc900" would link us so far into the past. But stuff happens. The PileDriver Turbocore does not even work exactly like the Bulldozer Turbocore works. So there is much to uncover in the light of today.
Still two turbo p-states, however it relies a lot more on overall TDP than just how many threads the workload is. If TDP is in range, then expect full Turbo even under assumed 100% load...

A user at XtremeSystems has done extensive testing with Trinity and Vishera with several/lots of pre-release and retail chips, he reported that with most CPUs, even running a benchmark such as Cinebench R11.5, full Turbo engaged 99% of the time but P95 would cause it to lower to base frequency. :)

I'm not sure what he does for a living. I assume he is some sort of engineer that is contracted by different companies and happens to be an enthusiast too. I know he has knowledge in coding too, he is the one that wrote "TCI K2" for on-the-fly Trinity adjustments.

The chips shouldn't throttle until they approach 90c.

Maybe the cores aren't thermal throttling then, perhaps the 1.44V they're getting isn't enough and the CPU is seeing errors and throttling down.

RGone, no, I leave all CPU-related adjustments at stock settings in the BIOS and use AMD OverDrive to raise the Turbo speed. I do adjust the NB/GFX voltage in the BIOS, and the GPU clock, because adjusting voltages in AMD OverDrive seems to have no effect.

As for the second part, I see what you're saying. Yes, raising Turbo to only 4.4-4.5 GHz seems to work just fine, without throttling much under load. 4.6 GHz is pretty much the limit with as much voltage as it's getting (1.44). So, like I said the throttling is probably not temp related (45C is as hot as it gets measured by OHM, and I don't think the sensor is 45 degrees off), and with a little more voltage might hang around those speeds more consistently. I mean, I don't know what to say, my temps have never really gotten out of hand. 50C is the hottest the CPU sensor has ever shown, and the room was 26-27C at that time.

because adjusting voltages in AMD OverDrive seems to have no effect. << Good Ole AOD.

Using CHV and FX-8120 can set APM to OFF and the cpu does not throttle by power states. Turbocore also off.

I know AMD had no idea till the end that temps would be so high. They barely shoe-horned the BD or PD into their TDP rating. So they will give you a boost for just a little but then it will reduce speed it seems. They can say the setup will give you a boost if X and Y are right but they don't say it will not last for long. Hehehe.

BB2 after "redduc900" had us go into the past said some 'guy' at ExSys was testing Vishera and Trinity and gaming loads would allow the near full upclock, but P95 would drop the speed almost immediately. I am not surprised. What is said about that is why I lock APM OFF and turn Turbocore OFF and then handle the heat that is generated running 8 cores on and loaded with no throttle back. After BB2 spoke I did a little looking and found that Turbocore on PD even works differently than on BD. So a lot has changed. For the good? Not at all sure. By the way as I understand it now, Turbocore can respond to calculated TDP, to what it sees as 'the' load and also to current draw. So if that is accurate, for us to really know why or exactly when the cores swap P-states is going to be hard to do. I doubt software monitoring is fast enough to catch all the swapping. Maybe and maybe not.

When the load is removed from my FX-8120 the speed drops from 4.5Ghz to just about 1450Mhz and the heat drops 'dramatically'. All of that is accomplished though with bios settings and Windows 'power manager'. I can only guess that an APU with IGP might have problems run in the manner I run my FX-8120, because the heat is ginormous. Heck you can feel the heat coming off the VRM sinks on my CHV from supplying the power to 8 cores with no throttling.

Maybe the cores aren't thermal throttling then, perhaps the 1.44V they're getting isn't enough and the CPU is seeing errors and throttling down.

RGone, no, I leave all CPU-related adjustments at stock settings in the BIOS and use AMD OverDrive to raise the Turbo speed. I do adjust the NB/GFX voltage in the BIOS, and the GPU clock, because adjusting voltages in AMD OverDrive seems to have no effect.

As for the second part, I see what you're saying. Yes, raising Turbo to only 4.4-4.5 GHz seems to work just fine, without throttling much under load. 4.6 GHz is pretty much the limit with as much voltage as it's getting (1.44). So, like I said the throttling is probably not temp related (45C is as hot as it gets measured by OHM, and I don't think the sensor is 45 degrees off), and with a little more voltage might hang around those speeds more consistently. I mean, I don't know what to say, my temps have never really gotten out of hand. 50C is the hottest the CPU sensor has ever shown, and the room was 26-27C at that time.
Check motherboard VRM temps pretty please :)

The CPU can't sense errors and throttle...the CPU simply does a calculation and spits it out, if it is erroneous it will never know unless you check it against a reference like Prime95 or LinX does. (When you get an error, it's because you were supposed to get a certain "answer" to the "problem" and didn't get it)

Also, Turbo will not work with Prime95. LinX and other stress testers (except maybe AIDA which is a super easy test) probably won't work either.

Turbo raises TDP too, (I don't mean the MAX TDP rating, I mean heat output for a given usage scenario(!)) ...and because of the way Piledriver's APM/Turbo leans on TDP, it is possible that you are just above that threshold for current draw. Turbo is used to increase overall performance without increasing current draw, so that your single thread programs and low-threaded programs (4 thread, example) get the most performance possible that the architecture will allow while also giving the whole 8 threads and better overall performance to programs that can use it.

Turbo is very aggressive on Piledriver, most normal 8 thread workloads also benefit from Turbo too - AT STOCK VOLTAGE/SPEED. ...because there is wiggle room in the TDP/current draw at whatever time.

If APM is disabled, you're out of luck. If it's not disabled, then try it, because that's supposed to be what I'll call here the "power and CPU usage monitor".

If you're overclocking like this, then you shouldn't care about that. You should disable Turbo because of two things:
The turbo states have a much higher voltage than stock VID, configured as an offset of that VID. Lets look at a scenario:

Stock voltage 1.3v
Turbo VID 1.425v

Manual voltage: 1.45v
Theoretical turbo VID = 1.575v

This CAN happen. If it doesn't, "phew".
because adjusting voltages in AMD OverDrive seems to have no effect. << Good Ole AOD.

Using CHV and FX-8120 can set APM to OFF and the cpu does not throttle by power states. Turbocore also off.

I know AMD had no idea till the end that temps would be so high. They barely shoe-horned the BD or PD into their TDP rating. So they will give you a boost for just a little but then it will reduce speed it seems. They can say the setup will give you a boost if X and Y are right but they don't say it will not last for long. Hehehe.

BB2 after "redduc900" had us go into the past said some 'guy' at ExSys was testing Vishera and Trinity and gaming loads would allow the near full upclock, but P95 would drop the speed almost immediately. I am not surprised. What is said about that is why I lock APM OFF and turn Turbocore OFF and then handle the heat that is generated running 8 cores on and loaded with no throttle back. After BB2 spoke I did a little looking and found that Turbocore on PD even works differently than on BD. So a lot has changed. For the good? Not at all sure. By the way as I understand it now, Turbocore can respond to calculated TDP, to what it sees as 'the' load and also to current draw. So if that is accurate, for us to really know why or exactly when the cores swap P-states is going to be hard to do. I doubt software monitoring is fast enough to catch all the swapping. Maybe and maybe not.

When the load is removed from my FX-8120 the speed drops from 4.5Ghz to just about 1450Mhz and the heat drops 'dramatically'. All of that is accomplished though with bios settings and Windows 'power manager'. I can only guess that an APU with IGP might have problems run in the manner I run my FX-8120, because the heat is ginormous. Heck you can feel the heat coming off the VRM sinks on my CHV from supplying the power to 8 cores with no throttling.
AMD does not have the resources to rewrite AMD OD every week and add support for next weeks VRM controllers and every sensor from every manufacturer too. If AMD were to force a standard on manufacturers, ie. use last year's model of everything that puts them in a box and can't happen. If AMD were to have a crack team on the software development and be in constant contact with all manufacturers about what they all use in specific for every little thing on every board, there wouldn't be an issue.

That just can't happen. First off that costs a lot more money and us enthusiasts make up like 0.01% of the overall market.

If you think AMD had no idea till the end that temps would be so high, then you're strongly mistaken. Who do you think designed the CPU? Working stepping B0 BD Engineering samples have been available since the availability of the 32nm process...the first months of December 2010 AMD already had functioning BD CPUs and had an instant idea of how things would be. They knew that month that temperatures would be high and had an idea of power consumption. They have to shoehorn ANY CPU into a given TDP. First off, TDP means "Thermal Dissipation Power", while it's often correlated with power usage, it's really about how many watts (joules per second) must be dissipated by a heatsink, not the electricity kind. Without providing a giant heatsink so they can release with a higher TDP (and making themselves look very bad in them needing it and vs intel TDP), they MUST fit that TDP.

There is a reason why that boost is "a little", as explained above the quote.

Not just some guy, I told you all who it was...the same guy ("The Stilt") that wrote TCI K^2 (Trinity Control Interface).

Here are the posts I am referencing, and while talking specifically about Trinity, it should apply to all Piledriver based platforms. I'll ask him to test it to make sure as I don't have access to CPUs right now. (Pb1 is the "turbo" power state)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums....3GHz-on-LN2&p=5140475&viewfull=1#post5140475
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums....3GHz-on-LN2&p=5140494&viewfull=1#post5140494

Again, Turbo Core does not fundamentally work differently than BD, nor does it really than Intel Core i7 2x00 and 3xx0 CPUs. AMD's just works in 200 MHz steps (because it has to) and intel's works in 100 MHz because they have a lower BCLK, like FM2 sockets. FM2 works a little more like those platforms as far as the interconnect layout/design but is not optimal for enthusiast platforms, it is designed to be lower cost for their mainstream APUs.

The only difference between BD and PD Turbo is that APM is tuned more aggressively towards TDP, because they have a bigger window to play with now due to increased power and thermal efficiency. (Thermals don't matter in 50% workloads, but do matter in 100% workloads, and if power target is 160w, and 8 thread workload uses 130w, then turbo will engage, when before, BD was using the 160w up already).

In reality, Turbo Core was always based off of TDP, except when you load up all threads what do you think happens to the power consumption that is monitored to calculate whether to engage turbo or not? ;) So, not much has changed, PD is just much more efficient.

Software can't catch the changes in real time? Blasphemy :D...there is a program called TMonitor by the folks over at CPUID that spits out the frequency data as fast as your eye can read it. :)

Windows' power consumption stuff works in correlation to the stuff you set in BIOS. Both use the same hardware registers (they talk to the same place) and they both accomplish the same thing.

If you select high performance in Windows even with C&Q and all that Jazz enabled, I believe it won't engage (not 100% sure) because Windows tells your hardware not to use it. If I'm wrong, then you can still go into the advanced power options and configure it yourself, and it is guaranteed to work. ;)

If you force disable it in BIOS, you don't leave the option available, so it really doesn't matter what option you choose in Windows, the only things it may possibly effect would be Core Parking and "Turn off display" timer, sleep state timer, etc.

FX-8120 and 8150 are BD based to very leaky, high power consumption CPUs...PD is not quite as bad and APUs are a whole different animal with a different footprint and different VRM/PWM...apples to oranges.

Well just good. I don't use Turbocore and likely will not. AMD suggests to turn it off to overclock and thus do so. Too many sites have responded that PD Turbocore is different.:) Oddly no where is there a real validated answer to what is what yesterday or today. What you write does not validate anything to me.:D Saying a program can spit out numbers as fast as I can read them is truly likely. About 30FPS is what most eyes see anyway. I would expect at 4.5Ghz things might happen much faster than that.:)

Well just good. I don't use Turbocore and likely will not. AMD suggests to turn it off to overclock and thus do so. Too many sites have responded that PD Turbocore is different.:) Oddly no where is there a real validated answer to what is what yesterday or today. What you write does not validate anything to me.:D Saying a program can spit out numbers as fast as I can read them is truly likely. About 30FPS is what most eyes see anyway. I would expect at 4.5Ghz things might happen much faster than that.:)
Well, I've got a few questions then:
What sites, what are they reviewing (Trinity or Piledriver?), and what are they saying is so different? ;)
Fundamentally the same, the useability is a little different. :thup:

Nothing I write has to validate anything to you, but I would hope that the components of the CPU and parts of the processes I'm talking about would certainly validate themselves! A lot of this stuff I'm spelling out aren't my opinions, but instead only describe what is happening behind the scenes.

Switching p-states won't happen at 4.5 GHz, but only as fast as the CPU can sense a change in load, then reprogram the VRM to change voltage and concurrently switch the CPU multiplier, I don't think it's all that too fast. :)

-Sam

Last edited:
Back