• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX60 Debuts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
Let's not let the Preslers steal the show here, for you lucky guys and gals with no end to the cash flow, this very well looks like THE processor to get...

AnandTech
AMDZone
Hexus
Xbitlabs

3 GHz seems like cake on anything decent, plenty of potential with heavier cooling, that and dual cores and unlocked multipliers to boot. :drool:

Last edited:
*Impulse*Anyone want an unused Opty 148, stepping CAB2E 0545 CPAW?
I might have to get me one of these newfangled dual-whatchamacallit fx60s!
*Logic*Or... maybe I can just keep the 148 until AM2 and go dualcore then...

IWasHungry said:
Looks like AMD has another winner. I would like to see someone overclock a dual core to 3.5GHz. :)
Just wait for AMDboard's phase change results. If they got 3.2gHz on a swiftech kit, 3.5gHz should be within the realm of phase change, assuming the fx60 isn't coldbugged.
Mmmm... double the pleasure, double the fun. Each core is an amazing CPU in its own right. Fuse the two, and you have one powerful chip.
Impulse is winning.

futura2001 said:
Just wait for AMDboard's phase change results. If they got 3.2gHz on a swiftech kit, 3.5gHz should be within the realm of phase change, assuming the fx60 isn't coldbugged.
Mmmm... double the pleasure, double the fun. Each core is an amazing CPU in its own right. Fuse the two, and you have one powerful chip.
Impulse is winning.
wow 3.2GHZ DC on water :drool: :attn: Damn. Amd is on a roll imo.

I'm not too impressed with Anandtech's multimedia test suite.

Photoshop 7? I was in high school the last time I used PS7 and I just graduated from college. Photoshop CS2 is written much better to take advantage of multiple CPUs. Premier 6 is ancient as well.

I rather see them give numbers in each individual app rather then globbing them all together like that. Oh well.

I know how fast a 2.6Ghz dual core AMD is in photoshop. :)

"With more exotic cooling you could probably manage better, but stepping up the voltage all the way up to 1.50V wouldn't yield a 3GHz overclock on air."

How in the world can they conclude that?

From Xbit labs:

"We managed to get our processor to work absolutely impeccably at 2.9GHz with the Vcore set to 1.44V. This frequency was achieved as 14 x 207MHz.

The CPU temperature under 100% workload equaled 69-70o C. In the nominal mode the core temperature of our Athlon 64 FX-60 didn’t rise over 53o C. It indicates that you shouldn’t forget about efficient cooling when you overclock your dual-core AMD Athlon 64 FX-60."

:eek: They like living dangerously!

Last edited:
InfiniteThought said:
From Xbit labs:

"We managed to get our processor to work absolutely impeccably at 2.9GHz with the Vcore set to 1.44V. This frequency was achieved as 14 x 207MHz.

The CPU temperature under 100% workload equaled 69-70o C. In the nominal mode the core temperature of our Athlon 64 FX-60 didn’t rise over 53o C. It indicates that you shouldn’t forget about efficient cooling when you overclock your dual-core AMD Athlon 64 FX-60."

:eek: They like living dangerously!

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/presler_9.html

As for the thermal mode, the maximum temperature of the Pentium Extreme Edition 955 processor overclocked to 4.26GHz (under full workload) reached 79o C. When we measured the CPU temperature in the nominal mode, that is at 3.46GHz, it never went over 65o C. So, this indicates clearly that further frequency increase will require more efficient cooling solution onboard.

They like it :santa:

lol nice :D basically 3ghz dual cores out of the box on water.. gotta love it.. im going to be skipping this stage and waiting AM2 out, though the FX60 costs so much anyway I couldnt afford it at the moment anyway lol

Careface*

Holy Quintuple Post Batman!!
I hope my next paycheck isn't large enough for me to do something silly like buy one of these. I have other things to think about, like rent and a Cintiq 21ux.
Mmmmm... 3 gHz dualcore, so tempting. But I need pay my rent so I'm not homeless, and I want a 21ux for the 21 inches of intuos3 class glory with a 21" monitor to boot.
Decisions, decisions...

sorry .. my ocforums was laggin like mad ..

anyways i doubt any of those reviewers overclocks were prime stable ..
i bet 2.9 prime stable is doable .. 3ghz doubtful

Anandtech was using the stock cooler...besides, I distinctly remember them complaining about how they couldn't get the FX57 to 3 gigs on stock either...we all know what a HORRIBLE overclocker it is, don't we? :p The AMDZone review I think shows a bit of its true power. No, neither any Opteron nor any X2 will touch it. But you certainly have to pay for it.

someone on xs forums .. got their hands on a few of them .. only 1 did 3ghz on air .. like 3 did 2.9 on the rest only 2.8 .. prime stable or wutever

It's weird that Anandtech did gaming at 1024x768, you wouldn't even see the FXs show their true potential at lower resolutions. They shoulda paired it with 2x7800GTX512 in SLi to see if the CPU bottlenecks, lol.

im pretty tempted to get one .. not sure though .. if i sell my cpu for 300 .. its about 800 .. lol

Back