• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX6300 oc silent/quiet build suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

callmequeso

Hello there

Going for a "budget" FX6300 gaming build which I intend to overclock. Been a while since I built a new pc so looking for some suggestions for cooling and the case, preferrable want the fans to be pretty silent.

Here is what I have been looking at:

cpu: fx6300
mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
cooling: Arctic Cooling Freezer A11 (Silent equivalent?)
ram: Looks like this mobo supports up to 2000MHz, is that what I should aim to buy then like 8gb?

gpu: Around the R9 270/270x mark looks like what I could afford.
case: i've read the gpu ive been looking at is pretty big?? Not really sure about this.
psu: am I correct in thinking I would need something like 500/550w?

Well any tips would be appreciated

cheers

6300 + ud3p is a good combo. Go for a noctua nh d14 for sound/performance/value. You'd be able to get a deep overclock with that.

As for 270, get an MSI so you can overclock it well. They are typically on the large sizr, but any mid range mid atx will fit it.

500w is very adequate, correct.

For ram, g skill plays nicely with amd. I'd get some 1600-1866 (whatever is cheaper honestly) and call it a day.

If you're looking for quiet that Arctic Freezer 11 isn't going to be when overclocked. It only has a 92 mm fan and will get loud when the temps come up. If you're buying from scan I suggest this one at the least.

this is a game build, and you, like me like it quiet. quiet for us means keeping the fans speeds low so here are a few things I do.
to keep the cpu cooling side quiet I disable cores my games can't use so I game on 4 cores, if you don't play BF4 this will work out well and a 6300 or 6350 will allow you to do this, don"t bother with a fx4xxx cpu as these are the worst of the worst.

buy all the gpu you can afford right up front, if you can afford a used 280/7970 over a new 270 go that way. to much gpu will have less load in the same game as a lesser card working harder.

and for ram, in game 8 gigs of 1600 will do just fine, you gain about zero with faster ram, gskill is pretty much plug and play, kingston tends to be an issue.

Hyper 212 Evo for cheap good cooling, you'd be able to push 4.2-4.4 depending on your chip maybe higher. Take the money you save on cooling and put it into your vid card

Hyper 212 Evo for cheap good cooling, you'd be able to push 4.2-4.4 depending on your chip maybe higher. Take the money you save on cooling and put it into your vid card

Not even close to silent though. Seems he want's to enjoy his space more than getting every drop of performance out of his machine.

Cool cool thanks for the input, yes would prefer it to stay quieter think I can squeeze the noctua nh d14 into my budget hopefully but damn that thing looks huge! I will have a hunt round for a secondhand gpu then else i'll stick with the 270 I think actually the msi one as I have read the XFX is louder.

cheers again!

Quiet and small aren't going to work together callmequeso, you're going to want at least a heatsink with a 120mm fan if you want it to be relatively quiet.

Back