• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx8350 OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you all for the help. If you did happen to go ahead and download the zip and view the pics, look at the after settings. I'm running everything fine now with the current OC (should be 4.4G and 1.4V) and RAM at 1600. No blue screen even after hours and hours of playing. I think the RAM was the issue. However, as mentioned previously, I'm only running at 4.3G when I set it to run at 4.4......any suggestions? Maybe it just didn't set right. And I'm gonna flash the BIOS when my wife leaves for work and my kids go down for naps. I'm running the stuff from AUG of 2012 and I've looked and seen a new one out as of last month. Kind of outdated lol. I've read some BIOS updates add support for secondary monitors (i.e. the tv i'm using). Perhaps a flash will solve my previous problem of no BIOS displayed.

You may very well be able to get to 4.4 if you combine multiplier overclocking with FSB overclocking. The latter involves manipulating more variables to keep everything happy but usually allows for lower voltages at a given level of overclock. The thing to keep in mind is that the FSB (which is 200 MHz at stock) is the master system bus and all system frequencies are tuned to it. So, when you raise the FSB, these other dependent system buses will rise accordingly. If any of them (and we're talking about RAM, HT Link and CPUNB) get too high they will cause instability. So, they may need to be adjusted downward at certain points to keep that from happening as you bump up the FSB.

Just flashed the BIOS, thank GOD. It fixed my 22" TV issue with no display on BIOS loading. And, I set the profile for my O.C. I'm now running at 4415MHz and according to AMD Overdrive I'm only at 1.3375V. Got a steady 103-115 fps on BF4 with this so I'm happy. And I haven't gone over 40C in terms of temp. I'm pleasantly bemused. Still want better cooling though. Maybe then I can O.C. to 5.0+?

I was running the 0803 bios from Aug of 2012. I just flashed it with 2103 from Nov 2013. Much better. I kept the FSB at 200, even though it wanted to jump it when I went back into bios. not sure if that's because I adjusted voltage further in the Overdrive or what, but set it back to 200 and a mulitplier of 22.0 and I'm good to go. No crashes, No bsod, no problem lol.

It would appear as of right now that I passed the first test (the 1024k). I'm on step 3 of 8k test now. What does all of that mean? lol

Attachments

• HWMonitor after 20min p95.PNG
    HWMonitor after 20min p95.PNG
    58.5 KB · Views: 29
I ran it up to the 10k test. I passed up to 8k with 0warnings and 0failures. And my board will shut down if it senses things getting too hot. Should I bother pressing through the 10k test or can I accept that my OC is stable?

Attachments

• p95 8k passed.PNG
    p95 8k passed.PNG
    60.4 KB · Views: 29
Also, the first bit (min value) was after the test had run about 10-15 minutes. I forgot to start that program first...

Your rig, but 70 + temps are too high for most users, the last SS shows 80+. I'd shut it down and lower the voltage and Cpu Mhz but that's up to you. Additionally 30 minutes isn't stable in most cases, I know for what I use my Pc for if I can pass 2 hours, it is stable enough for me to throw whatever I want at it. I don't think you'll make it through 2 hours with temps in the 80's nor would I continue to run it at those temps.

Like MANNY WAS ASYING YOU'RE WAY TOO HOT!!! You should keep the package in the low 60s, like 62 we usually recommend.

Well, that was on the torture test, too. When I'm running games, programs, coding, vids, etc I never see the plus side of 40C. So I wasn't too worried about the temps. I just wanted to stress it and see if it would hold up. Do my results show a stable OC?

For me 2 hours prime 95 blend is stable, for you IDK, you can try it but you may have issues.

You bet it will.....maybe for longer than you think.
+1!

Haha, you're right, best not to push it. Maybe with better cooling (H100i or custom) I'd be more stable in the temp department and then I could run it for the recommended time? I ran it for 45 minutes with those results. I don't think it went to shabby, but I definitely don't want to push the thing over a 4.5 clock or run it much hotter than it just went in the stress test. Any suggestions on cooling?

Any suggestions on cooling?

For you?

images

4.5? you probably don't want to run it where it is, 80c is way too hot. As far as cooling goes it is going to depend on what you'll be satisfied with. I don't think you'll get much more then 4.6 on a H100i or any other AIO H2O cooler.

Now that's funny Mr.Scott! :thup:

But 80C is only under stress. running games at max settings with getting 115fps I'm only at 36-42C. Even now, just idling and surfing/playing music on slacker I'm only at 22C. And that's because I'm recovering from stress testing. I was at 11C before I began.

Back