• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx8350 OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cr4zy1ns4n3

Registered
I've posted here before, with an issue mostly of being unable to access my bios. Considering my 60" HDTV will display that just fine, I see no reason to bother with it anymore. However, I do want to know more about OCing my fx8350 for all around use. The thing is unlocked, so it auto idles at 4.1GHz. Its not a horrible setup, but considering that I'm pulling limited frames in BF4 with my setup (corsair 300r case, corsair h60 cooling, 4 fans, sabertooth 990fx mobo, 16Gb 1600 DDR3 corsair xms3 OCd to 1735, 650W ps, 1Tb HDD (WD black edition), 120Gb Samsung SSD, 7870 Diamond double black OC'd GPU, and the obvious 8350fx unlocked CPU) I am turning to OCing for support.

Anyway, I'm continually getting the blue screen of x_x as I run BF4 to its limits. I've OC'd via the BIOS up to 4.3GHz with 1.3375V. Now, I pull about 110-130FPS, but typically I have the game crash or my computer blue screen nearly 80% of the way through the match. I've got AMD Overdrive running in the background and I see that I'm not really going over 45C for heat, so I don't really see the whole issue for why this might be happening.

So, question time. What do you guys suggest I set the OC to and at what Voltage did you all stabilize (\whats the best program -for free- that I can use to check the stability of my OC). Also, is there a way to increase the voltage to my GPU (which has the ability to overclock, just not really sure how to configure all that) so that it doesn't crash while gaming. I press the build hard, harder than any computer I've ever bought stock. It's built to take the brunt and to excell. I understand I should consider better cooling, and am looking into the H100i from corsair (about which I have heard nothing but praise). Is there a reason I may be getting the blue screen (even while idling or doing deskwork) with the current setup and how would I go about fixing it if so?

Thank you all for your help and expertise in advance. Considering this is the career I've chosen to pursue, I think I should probably find out wth I'm talking about and doing before I ruin someone else's system lol. Also, bluescreened 2x while writing this so the sooner I get help the better.......

You write >> Is there a reason I may be getting the blue screen (even while idling or doing deskwork) with the current setup and how would I go about fixing it if so?

Answer >> No visible reason in what you wrote. It usually takes various screen captures to say a lot about what causes most issues. You say you get BSODs in your game and even when just idling, so set winders to NOT auto reboot on BSOD and write down the full BSOD coding and research what winders is reporting the issue as. Most any of the windows error codee x0xxxxxxxxxxx can be g00gle searched for what sets that code.

If your setup is not passing at least 2 hours of P95 run in blend mode with HWMonitor 'running' in the background logging min/max temps and volts, then we really never consider the setup as stable.
RGone...

Start at the beginning. This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How are you overclocking the CPU? Are you using the FSB, the multiplier, or a combo of the two?

I'm a little confused when you say you were unable to access the bios but it will display just fine on the 60" TV? Do you mean the bios will display on the TV but not on the computer monitor?

This is what I have as an Idle right now. I'm about to tuck in, got to work in 4 Hrs, but I'll certainly run P95 tomorrow.

Attachments

• CPU CPUz Idle.PNG
    CPU CPUz Idle.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Idle HWMonitor.PNG
    Idle HWMonitor.PNG
    22.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Mem Actual CPUz Idle.PNG
    Mem Actual CPUz Idle.PNG
    36.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Mem CPUz Idle.PNG
    Mem CPUz Idle.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 170
I mean that I have a 22in TV that I use as a monitor and when I enter the BIOS, the clock and mouse show, but I have to swipe the mouse across the screen to reveal the rest of the loadout and it's not interactable. not to mention only the top left portion of the BIOS loadout is produced on the screen. I had no issue like that on the 60"

I think you're instability problem is caused by the memory frequency being too high for the RAM's rated speed and the timings being too tight as well. The memory you are using is rated for 1600 MHz at 1.5v but the CPU-z Memory tab shows you are running it at 1722 MHz (866x2). And the CPU-z SPD tab shows in the XMP column that when your RAM is run at 1600 MHz the timings should be 11-12-12-32-41-2T but the Memory tab shows you are actually running a timing of 10-12-11-30-39 with the CR not being displayed. How CPU-z displays memory frequency needs some explanation. CPU-z displays not the DDR3 speed but the bus speed of the memory which is half of the DDR3 speed. Just multiply by two to get the DDR3 frequency.

The reason your memory is running too fast is that its frequency is tuned to the FSB which is 200 MHz at stock. When you increased the FSB to 216 the memory frequency followed with it.

Looks like you need to back off on the memory to 1333 in bios and then start increasing the FSB until you get the memory back up to 1600. At the same time you will need to probably lower the CPU core speed multiplier to keep it stable.

So running the RAM slower should bring the bsod
Issue to a halt? I tried to select 1600 in the bios for speed, but after I initially selected it, this was the only option available as it was only running at 14xx MHz
And I wanted it at 1600

Oh, and I'm OCing via the bios. I it's the multiplier, then apply voltage
Manually and set it. From there I boot and set/adjust voltage as necessary with AMDOD

If anyone wants to re what was already gone through in the OP last thread on this topic here it is.

In the last thread I linked you a guide to help you overclock your chip, have you read it?
You said in your last post when you try to access the BIOS you cannot see anything but what the mouse cursor is hovering over is this still the case?

As trents mentioned you ram is overclocked out of spec, this doesn't mean that it can't run there but to try and eliminate the variables that cause the BSOD, we need to get them in spec.

First things first you need to set the FSB back to 200 it is set at 216 that is why the ram is overclocked. Then you need to set the ram at 1600 and manually set the timings to the XMP 1598 profile.

In bios you need to take things off of "Auto" in order to see the choices. The simplest way to overclock (as Drake said) is to leave the FSB on the stock 200 MHz and use the core speed multiplier to overclock the CPU. It's not the best way but it's the simplest. If you are struggling to find our understand the settings then it would be a good idea for you to take digital camera pics of the overclocking sections of the bios and then attach them with your posts. That way, we can see what you see rather than resorting to generic terminology like "core speed multiplier".

. If you are struggling to find our understand the settings then it would be a good idea for you to take digital camera pics of the overclocking sections of the bios and then attach them with your posts. That way, we can see what you see rather than resorting to generic terminology like "core speed multiplier".

With a properly formatted USB you can just use f12 I think to take screens of your bios. I have this board and pretty much know the bios without screenies any way.

With a properly formatted USB you can just use f12 I think to take screens of your bios. I have this board and pretty much know the bios without screenies any way.

Yep, that works too. I've done it that way. Just have it formatted in fat32, which is usually how they come default.

However you have to do more than one F12 on a bios menu like Ai Tweaker with the top captured by F12 and then scroll that page down and F12 again. Otherwise you will not see every menu item. Scroll and F12 until all of a particular menu is captured to Usb stick.
Gone...Again.

Okay, so I'm about to transfer my computer downstairs (where the 60" is) and I wont have any internet. I'm going to restore defaults, take pics via defaults, and then I'll set it to what I have going for voltage and whatnot for a 4.3GHz OC and take pics with that.

From there I'll bring it back up, post the results, and run p95. Anything else I should know in the next few minutes? also, how do I flash the bios to update it? It's running the bios that initially was formatted to it.

After a lot of compressing and file transfer nonsense, here it is. not sure how you'll see it, but it's a .zip file for the folder of before and after pics. Now AMD Overdrive says I'm running at 4.3GHz still, even though I set the CPU to 22.5 (4400MHz) and 1.4V. We'll see I guess.

Attachments

• Sabertooth BIOS before and after.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 27
Go to http://www.irfanview.com/ and download a handy photo manipulation tool called Irfanview. Use it to downsize the pics enough so you can attach them with your posts like you did in post #4. Not many people will want to go to the trouble of downloading and unzipping the files you link and then looking at them back and forth from the forum for referral. We all need to see them together in line with the posts if we are going to be able to help you. 640x480 works well with the forum attachment tool.

turn turbo core tech off. and go into digi+ and adjust cpu llc and cpunb llc. and all blue screens should stop.

Go to http://www.irfanview.com/ and download a handy photo manipulation tool called Irfanview. Use it to downsize the pics enough so you can attach them with your posts like you did in post #4. Not many people will want to go to the trouble of downloading and unzipping the files you link and then looking at them back and forth from the forum for referral. We all need to see them together in line with the posts if we are going to be able to help you. 640x480 works well with the forum attachment tool.

You can also right click the photo and edit with paint. Resize and save as Jpeg.

Back