• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8350 sometimes won't receive power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sliver59

Registered
I just upgraded my processor to the 8350 last night (as well as the Asrock 990FX Extreme3), and the computer wouldn't start up as if there was no CPU. I opened the case, unplugged and replugged the CPU's power chord, and it started just fine. Weird, but it worked.

Last night before I went to bed, I put my computer to sleep. This morning, it won't return to me. So I hard reset, unplug and replug the CPU's power chord, and it starts just fine.

I figure it's gotta be the CPU, but the motherboard could also be defective. Should I wait and see if it keeps happening, or does it indicate some bigger problem?

FD8300WMW8KHK
^ that's an 8320/8350 isn't it? But says 95W, the 8320 and 8350 are 125W.

And yeah, don't OC with that board, I'm thinking that's why you're having trouble in the first place. Reset the BIOS and see what happens.

No clue... with all the others it states the specific model, right?

EDIT: No, it says Piledriver. The FX8350 is Bulldozer and 125W, not 95W...

I'm not overclocking at all, and the power supply is a new Corsair 600W

Is it possible that the motherboard is defective?

Again, that motherboard does not seem to support the CPU according to that list. If it was on the list and this was happening, I would start troubleshooting. But that CPU isn't on the list...

So you're telling me that because of that, I should get a different mobo?

My last set, the CPU wasn't on the approved list, and I never had any problems

So you're telling me that because of that, I should get a different mobo?

My last set, the CPU wasn't on the approved list, and I never had any problems

It wasn't a Fx 8xxx series Cpu, these new Fx Chips are very demanding on motherboards. Even low end motherboards that are approved to run it struggle to do so properly.

You should have a read of this post, it is very informative about the motherboards we would even consider putting an Fx chip on.

that's an 8320/8350 isn't it? But says 95W, the 8320 and 8350 are 125W.
The 125 w figure for a 83xx chip is laughable. And when you really start to put the beans to them they eat wattage.

Family AMD FX-Series
Model number FX-8300
CPU part numbers
FD8300WMW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8300WMHKSBX is a boxed microprocessor
Frequency 3300 MHz
Turbo frequency 4200 MHz
Package 938-pin micro-PGA package
Socket Socket AM3+
Introduction date October 2012 (shipped in OEM PCs)
Thermal Design Power 95 Watt

AMD did the same thing with the Bulldozer FX processors and made a Lower TDP rated processor for OEMs that we never saw in the Retail parts distribution that I ever saw.

No clue... with all the others it states the specific model, right?

EDIT: No, it says Piledriver. The FX8350 is Bulldozer and 125W, not 95W...
The FX-8150 is Bulldozer. The newer FX-8350 is a Piledriver.

It is strange that the list only contains a few of the newer Piledrivers. Maybe it is a power issue. I went through the list. These are Bulldozer & Piledriver CPUs on the list:
FX-4100 95W Bulldozer
FX-4130 125W Bulldozer
FX-4150 95W Bulldozer
FX-4170 125W Bulldozer
FX-4200 125W Bulldozer
FX-6100 95W Bulldozer
FX-6120 95W Bulldozer
FX-6130 125W Bulldozer
FX-6200 125W Bulldozer
FX-8100 95W Bulldozer
FX-8120 95W Bulldozer
FX-8120 125W Bulldozer
FX-8140 95W Bulldozer
FX-8150 125W Bulldozer
FX-4300 95W Piledriver
FX-4320 95W Piledriver
FX-4350 125W Piledriver
FX-6300 95W Piledriver
FX-6350 125W Piledriver
FX-8300 95W Piledriver
Family AMD FX-Series
Model number FX-8300
CPU part numbers
FD8300WMW8KHK is an OEM/tray microprocessor
FD8300WMHKSBX is a boxed microprocessor
Frequency 3300 MHz
Turbo frequency 4200 MHz
Package 938-pin micro-PGA package
Socket Socket AM3+
Introduction date October 2012 (shipped in OEM PCs)
Thermal Design Power 95 Watt

AMD did the same thing with the Bulldozer FX processors and made a Lower TDP rated processor for OEMs that we never saw in the Retail parts distribution that I ever saw.
Note the FX-8300 has a clock speed of only 3.3GHz compared to 4.0GHz for the FX-8350. That is how they can rate it at only 95W.

Last edited:
I'd suspect a power issue, that is a 125W cpu afterall.. if your graphics card draws a lot of power too then that's more reason to think power might be the issue.

Cheaper power supplies will give an inconsistent supply of power to components.. that is, a cpu that you have working on 1.4 volts may want 1.42 volts to make up for inconsistency over reboots. Motherboards can be the cause of that too.

What I would try is finding the exact voltage specs for that cpu and setting it manually in the bios as a lot of motherboards (like my asus) overpower the cpu on default settings. My cpu uses at most 1.43 volts according the specs, yet the bios sets the power at 1.69 volts on automatic (causing extra power consumption and heat, not to mention it's risky).. actually I can use 1.25 volts at stock speeds and that works fine.

Another way to test might be to put a spare graphics card in that isn't very big or high performing as it draws more power, unplug your cd-rom temporarily, etc.. if all works fine after adjusting the voltages and doing that, then I'd suspect the CPU is the problem and just get a replacement from where you bought it from if that's a consumer right you have there or get it back on warranty as a last resort, otherwise upgrade your PSU .. the 'platinum' rated power supplies are the best you can get. Any branded 750 or 800 watt psu ought to cover all your needs however, and even a 650 or 700 may be fine. You can check how much power your graphics needs too to work it out, as CPU and graphics are the heaviest drawers of power. Other things like your cd-rom and hard disk will eat about 25-30watts total together.

Alternatively just set as many voltages in the bios manually as you can, just ram and CPU to play it safe (you can even try lower voltage like I did as the specs indicate a range usually), disabled unwanted features in there too. I'm not sure of how much your setup draws but a 600W seems a little low, other than that it could be motherboard issues as above, see if theres some firmware for your board and if the cpu compatibility is mentioned.

Last edited:
Oops. Yes.

Just concerned its not in the list. Its not like ram where it should work. Some CPUs won't boot, others will with limited functionality/speed and some will work outright.

Okay, so the issue appears to happen every morning, even if I turn the whole computer off. It won't start up, the CPU receives no power. However, if I just flip the power switch in the back, it turns on just fine (same thing I guess if I unplug and replug the CPU's power chord).

My other specs are Corsair 8GB 1333MHz, and a GTX560Ti. The power supply should be fine, as it's a Corsair and their supplies are supposed to be pretty nice.

I eventually plan on putting a 760 in there, and was told that a 600W would be fine with a 760 and an 8350. Perhaps I was mislead.

But my other question is that could the problem possibly get worse? I don't really mind too much just having to flip a switch every morning...

Bottom line is, it is an unsupported processor. The bios lacks the AGESA code to set it properly. There WILL be issues until a bios update with the proper code is included. No other proper diagnosis can be done on any hardware unless you use a supported processor to do it with. Unless you feel like playing 'pitch till you win' with hardware, you're just wasting your time.

I'm looking into maybe replacing it, the Asrock 990FX Extreme4 has the cpu on its supported list, and is not that much more expensive.

However, if I replace this thing, that's my entire day gone to taking apart my computer and putting it back together. Is it really worth just not having to flip a switch every morning? Because if it won't get worse, then not really.

Turning the power supply on and off will not work around a cpu with bad firmware in bios for that cpu. They don't boot at all.

The board is not sending the correct signal to the power supply telling it that it is time to apply power and does not until the power supply is reset by removing the A/C then Reapplying as is generally the case when such issue arises.

If it were me and that is me since I have seen users in these forums for nearly 2 years now with 8 core cpus and Asrock EXT 3 boards, the board is not sufficient in the VRM circuit to effeciently overclock an FX 8 core. I would RMA all the new parts while there is time on the calendar. The Asrock 990FX EXT9 seems to be doing very well. The 990FX EXT 4 is stouter than the EXT 3 boards.

It could be the current combination of weak board and power hungry cpu are just at the right place to create this sort of problem. I have had this AMD won't boot until power supply is cycled off then on before and changed the power supply and solved the problem. But with all new parts and the clock ticking on RMA, the whole mess would be returned and my buying list researched more closely especially as regards the strength of the VRM circuit of the board I purchase.
RGone...

bad firmware in bios for that cpu. They don't boot at all.
Not quite true. Opterons were not officially supported on 939 boards yet they ran fine on most.;)
Just using this as an example. For the most part, I agree with you.

I am purely responding to the OP's won't boot issue. Not that some cpus work fine with firmware that does not support the cpu.

I have an FX-8350 in my CHV that does not have a "vishera" bios on it. Works fine. Works better than later bioses in fact. But that is a decision made after testing by more than one of us with later Vishera bios against earlier design motherboards. In fact to date as far as I know all of us on early model CHV and Sabertooth 990FX boards are all on early bioses that supposedly do not support Vishera Cpus but work fine to the point of better than the Vishera bioses.

Unless the OP bought from a brick and mortar store, with no turn over of stock; it is doubtful he has an EXT 3 that does not have a bios on it that would not boot fine with his FX-8350 if there were not other issues.

He speculated buying a somewhat more expensive EXT4 Asrock board which of itself seems a very good idea, but at this juncture, he may have more than one problem part. Board and power supply or board only. At a time when I dealt with mobo customers daily and was faced with such a situation, I always suggested that they make a full RMA to 'catch' the offending part. Never had a customer that did a full RMA that was plagued with the issue after the RMA. He is in a position where there is more than one possible bad component and he needs to remove all the variables at one time before a chance of RMA is lost and he has to deal with the individual manufacturers. At least that is how I approach new parts and what can be a problem with more than a single caustive agent.
RGone...

Not quite true. Opterons were not officially supported on 939 boards yet they ran fine on most.;)
Just using this as an example. For the most part, I agree with you.

I am purely responding to the OP's won't boot issue. Not that some cpus work fine with firmware that does not support the cpu.

I have an FX-8350 in my CHV that does not have a "vishera" bios on it. Works fine. Works better than later bioses in fact. But that is a decision made after testing by more than one of us with later Vishera bios against earlier design motherboards. In fact to date as far as I know all of us on early model CHV and Sabertooth 990FX boards are all on early bioses that supposedly do not support Vishera Cpus but work fine to the point of better than the Vishera bioses.

Unless the OP bought from a brick and mortar store, with no turn over of stock; it is doubtful he has an EXT 3 that does not have a bios on it that would not boot fine with his FX-8350 if there were not other issues.

He speculated buying a somewhat more expensive EXT4 Asrock board which of itself seems a very good idea, but at this juncture, he may have more than one problem part. Board and power supply or board only. At a time when I dealt with mobo customers daily and was faced with such a situation, I always suggested that they make a full RMA to 'catch' the offending part. Never had a customer that did a full RMA that was plagued with the issue after the RMA. He is in a position where there is more than one possible bad component and he needs to remove all the variables at one time before a chance of RMA is lost and he has to deal with the individual manufacturers. At least that is how I approach new parts and what can be a problem with more than a single caustive agent.
RGone...

Like I said, for the most part I agree with you. :)

OFF topic - BTW, I was a DFI Street member for quite a while. Not many of us left around. Good to see some are still active. See you around I'm sure. :)

Back