• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX8350 sometimes won't receive power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I returned the whole set, and bought a gigabyte 990fxa-ud5 with a fx8320. Plugged everything up, I checked three times and nothing is missing.

Won't start up like the CPU isn't receiving power, and the fans struggle to turn on. The top fan won't even start, but the LED is lit up. I know the board itself is totally fine, because they tested it at the store to check the BIOS version. It's not the power supply, because it's a brand-new Corsair 600W, and the board's manual recommends a 500W or more.

What in the world could be causing this?

Well, it worked fine this morning. Is there any way to test it, or to test if there is a short?

Minimal build out of the case. Board, CPU, GPU, single stick of ram, and see if it posts.

I did all of that, and now it's gotten even worse. Nothing will turn on, not even the fan on the power supply. It starts to run, and then just powers down.

I've tried different plugs around the house, same thing. Is it possible that my power supply that I bought less than a week ago already broke?

Not only is it possible, it's the likely problem. Every manufacturer puts out a lemon once and a while. It's not uncommon.

I guess that settles it, so two questions:

1. With it first being ****ty, and then getting worse, is it possible or even slightly likely that the motherboard is the issue?
2. What power supply would you personally recommend? I want one that will allow me to overclock my CPU to about 4.5, and run a 760. One tool I found said that I should get a 550W, is it really worth the money to get a 700W over a 600W?

Not very likely that 2 boards in a row are the issue.
There is nothing terribly wrong with Corsair units, you just got a bad one.
I'm partial to almost any Seasonic based power supply. 600w is probably fine for your application but I prefer a little more headroom. I'd probably go 750w although it isn't necessary, that's just me.

Have you tried testing it outside the case? That would help determine if you may have a short from a mis-placed stand-off or short in the case.

Well, as it turns out, I screwed up. I forgot to install stand-offs into one of the screws and it fried the board, that's why it would just get worse and worse.

So here's my question, since I fried it that badly, could that have possibly or likely damaged any of my other parts? Is this something I seriously need to worry about?

Well, as it turns out, I screwed up. I forgot to install stand-offs into one of the screws and it fried the board, that's why it would just get worse and worse.

So here's my question, since I fried it that badly, could that have possibly or likely damaged any of my other parts? Is this something I seriously need to worry about?

:facepalm:

Back