• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.skill TridentX ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

For a while now, i have been looking to upgrade the ram in my main rig, and use the old in my second rig.

Yesterday i read an article on a G.Skill ram use, and users. It seems to be the favored ram at HWbot. This got my thinking, why not try it?

Price range for what i am looking at, my first option was Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 1866Mhz 2x4Gb, but after looking at G.Skill, i am now unsure.

The G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 2x4Gb is cheaper than the Corsair ram, but is it better in the long run?

Hard to say if better after OC as you never know what is inside. For sure you have guaranteed 2400 10-12-12 settings if you pick TridentX while Corsair cost more and won't guarantee that you make 2133+ ( hard to say maybe will make 2600+ but noone knows what you get ).

Hard to say if better after OC as you never know what is inside. For sure you have guaranteed 2400 10-12-12 settings if you pick TridentX while Corsair cost more and won't guarantee that you make 2133+ ( hard to say maybe will make 2600+ but noone knows what you get ).

After storming threw a couple of reviews on the 2400mhz sticks, its mixed feelings, but one thing everyone agrees on, is that 2600Mhz is not possible. 2533mhz was highest stable speed reached, but it was a positive review apart from that.

For around the same amount of money, my options are:

G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz
Corsair Vengeance Pro series 1866Mhz
Kingston HyperX Predator 2400Mhz

With G.Skill being a bit cheaper than the other 2.

With that said, i have never been one to OC my ram much, mainly run them at the max rated speeds.

My current TridentX 2400 CL10 is running fine @2600 10-12-12 1.75V but earlier kit ( from last year ) couldn't run stable @2600 while I could set it to 2400 9-10-10 ~1.7V.
Picking TridentX in worst case you get good performing memory at declared settings ... can't go wrong with that.
I'm not trying to make you buy it but it's best option from these 3 kits.

Okay, well no, your're not telling me to buy them, but with the info i already have, and what i can read, they are still looking like the best option.

Last edited:
Then get DDR3 1600 Mhz. Point is, unless you are overclocking and benchmarking, there are very little to no gains with a single discrete gpu. BUT, since you are rocking dual GPU's this may be the only reason to go 1866 or 2133. I wouldnt go over that though if the cost is a penny more...

I somewhat agree, Ram is Ram, quality is important for reliability but unless you're doing benchmarks, Ram won't affect OC much and you definitely won't notice a difference unless you're doing benchmarks.

Haswell likes 1600mhz ram, lower timings are nice, stick to MOBO voltage for the modules you buy.

Also, Tridents are tall, if you use a big air CPU cooler, Tridents may not fit under...

Corsair vs GSkill? Corsair is overpriced.

Back