• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G41 chipset and FSB "lock" - any work-arounds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xrror

Playing with some old hardware, was wondering if anyone ever found a way to get around the "FSB lock" Intel put on the 775 41 and 43 chipsets.

I'm guessing no, but was just asking if there were any more tricks discovered other than messing with PCIe speeds. PCIe to 103 can give a few more MHz for FSB. Sometimes.

For those not in the know, Intel had a way (probably blowing fuses on capacitance or something) on P4x chipsets to limit FSB overclocking.
41 chipsets usually only would give you around +8fsb from a given FSB strap. 43 I think was maybe +20. 45 wasn't limited.

The collarary is yes, a budget 3x series board (G31, G33, Q33) was WAY WAY better for overclocking than it's 4x replacement, since 3x was before the gimp.

Typically, most boards are locked, some, as wingman alluded to, are not.

To get around it, you will need a board that can edit the FSB, or use something called Clockgen or SetFSB. Do you have voltage control with that board?

I have a GA-EG31M-S2, also a Intel Celeron E1200 OC to 2.6GHz
325fsb on the 200fsb strap is very nice. +125fsb on a given strap on a budget board - I miss the old days before Intel's engineers were fully chained by marketing in the name of market segmentation :sn:

Unfortunately I'm on a GA-G41MT-S2P which only give me about +8fsb for a given strap. I have a Q8400 in the board now, which (by chance) gives me the same x8 multi as your E1200.

Which sticks it at 341 (333+8) so 2727Mhz. Lame.

I was going to try the easy padmod to have the proc go from 333 to 400fsb until I realized that this board has no (listed) support for 400fsb =/
I may try it anyway - maybe Gigabyte slipped something in there. But I doubt it.

I had one of my "play-around" processors in this system before (Dual Pentium E5800 - x16 multi!!!) and was trying to free it up and shove a quad in there as a beater machine. It's 200fsb, but I can set the strap to 266 for 274 (266+8) x13.5 for 3.7Ghz.

I tried to padmod for 333, but first post at 333*16 (5328) is kinda rough =D

The board does have voltage adjustment, but it acts stupid about it - it acts like it first sets the multiplier and bus before the voltage. Surely Gigabyte didn't do that, but regardless warm-reboot always fails if went any higher.

use something called Clockgen or SetFSB.

Haha, I'd forgotten about that. I'll try that out next. Time to get a sacrificial windows install for when I corrupt the SSD :D

Back