• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(G92) 8800GTS 512mb thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you need to tell us what your doing before we can tell you what you're doing wrong.

What are your specs? Your sig doesn't match up at all. What have you OC'd, and to what levels?

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit (stock)
q6600 (stock)
ABIT IP35 Pro (stock)
G.SKILL 8GB(4 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) (stock timings)
EVGA 8800GTS (G92) 512MB (stock)
Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB
Corsair 620hx PSU

someone help. i know people run bone stock settings higher than this.

plus Crysis is choppy at all high settings and 2x AA. and 1280 x 1024. I installed the recent drivers from Nvidia... and installed all the mobo drivers etc.

?!?!

You say your ram is at stock timings but is it at stock speeds? If your using all four slots your memory divider may have defaulted lower then you realize. Did you make sure to install the 64-bit drivers? If yes to both, it could just be Vista. GPU performance is lower on Vista then it is on XP from what I've seen.

q6600 (stock)
ABIT IP35 Pro (stock)
Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB
Corsair 620hx PSU

someone help. i know people run bone stock settings higher than this.

plus Crysis is choppy at all high settings and 2x AA. and 1280 x 1024. I installed the recent drivers from Nvidia... and installed all the mobo drivers etc.

?!?!

What are the 3 individual scores in 3DMark06?

To be honest I don't know what stock scores should look like. If you OC that CPU to 3.6GHz, and OC your gfx card I'll have a better 'feel' if your score is looking right.

One thing you could check is to make sure your PCIe link width is at 16x. CPU-Z will tell you.

And for Crysis turn off AA...it kills performance. Read the Crysis Tweak Guide, and see if you can get the game playing better.

You say your ram is at stock timings but is it at stock speeds? If your using all four slots your memory divider may have defaulted lower then you realize. Did you make sure to install the 64-bit drivers? If yes to both, it could just be Vista. GPU performance is lower on Vista then it is on XP from what I've seen.

everything is bone stock. I will check out the memory divider when i get home from work.

install 64bit drivers for?? G92 is on 64 bit drivers.

You'll need to get the Hardware Monitor running 1st, and you might have to install some plug-ins depending on what you want to monitor. Here's a RT guide...it should help.

Just do 1 slider at a time. See what your core will do, then see what your shader will do, etc. Once you find the max core, take note, and then go back to default and start on your shaders. Same w/ vRAM. Once you find all the maxes you can set it to that and go from there. You'll probably be a bit unstable, and it is just a matter of figuring out which of the 3 freq is causing issues. Also, when you get your shaders up there you'll notice that you have finer core clock control, so you might be able to tweak that as well.

Also note that what you set is NOT what you get. You'll need to have the Hardware Monitor running to see your actual clocks. Not every notch on the slider will do anything, and at a certain point you won't be able to go higher on the core (756) unless you raise the shader a little bit.

I usually crank the core and shaders up pretty quickly until I get immediate artifacts in ATI Tool, and then go down from there. It just takes to long to do it 5-10MHz at a time. A good starting point might be 750 on the core and 1900 shader. ATI Tool, any of the 3Dmarks, FUR, & the Crysis Benchmark are all good at bringing out errors. I like ATI Tool b/c it makes an audible warning, and if you leave the room you just compare the run times to see if you've had an error while gone. The other one's you have to watch for artifacts. Of course if you have a lock-up you've obviously gone too far.

The vRAM is a whole other animal. Viper John has recommended running the 'Canyon Flight' from 3Dmark05 for about 8-10 loops. To run the loops you have to have the 'Pro' version, and I like to crank up the settings as well to further stress it. 1680x1050 (or your native rez) 4xAA, 16xAF, and a few other options I can't remember. On my card it seems that the 'Battle of Proxycon' from 3Dmark03 seems to be a weak spot just like on the 8800GT. It's probably a good idea to run 8+ loops of that as well just to be sure. The F.E.A.R benchmark also seems to bring out these issues, but I'm not sure if you can run loops like in 3DMark.

There is something about the above mentioned tests that brings out the weak-spot in these Qimonda vRAM chips...or perhaps the memory controller. In any case you'll see a memory avalanche (red or green crap all over the screen and lock-up) if you go to far.

Which sticker are you talking about? The loosely applied 'Warranty VOID if Removed' sticker? i wouldn't remove for obvious reasons. Press the sticker on there better, or if you are willing to risk it you could carefully remove it w/o tearing it, and put it somewhere safe, so you can re-apply it before you step-up, but that seems like more trouble than it's worth to me.

Thanks. I will have to get ati tool. what is fur?

anyways, i meant the sticker thats on the actual stock cooler. not the void warranty one. I just don't like the sticker and was wondering if it would affect step up.. or not.

when im stressing and testing stability
with 3dmark05 or 03, am i looking for artifacts?

no its for this system:

q6600 (stock)
ABIT IP35 Pro (stock)
Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB
Corsair 620hx PSU

In WinXP yes. Just do not go nuts with the resolution. 1280x800 w/4X AA, 1440x900 w/2X AA
or 1680x1050 w/ no AA will give you fine game play in Crysis with all settings on high.

Viper

With a 768MB card you can run higher res & or AA/AF because of more VRAM right?

I got ati tool v0.26

i did find max core and it got to like 846 then crashed. is this a good way to overclock? use ati took to find max core and max memory (for 3d performance of course) and then set it to that?

and once i set it should i use ati tool to scan for artifacts.?

How's rhtdribl for stress testing VJ?
Works great for me, the only thing I've had issues with is it seems to be more difficult to notice artifacts. I have found that benchmarks that have many many polygons (like the forest test in 3dmark06) show artifacts faster and clearer.

Use Scan for Artifacts not the Furry Cube.

ATItools Find Max should never be used.

Viper

Crap. I did it not knowing. I hope I didn't mess up anything on my 8800gts 512. the core went up to like 868. If something happens to it, could I RMA it to evga?

Is their anything I should delete from the registry from ati tool. I want to keep it installed, but when i did the find core max my system locked up and i got the BSOD and then my comp restarted and returned to normal with stock clocks....

AHHH!!!!

It shouldn't have done damage right? it just overclocked too high and locked up thats all. if i would have raised the slider that high it would have done it anyways. Well i wont use ati tool to overclock, just test for artifacts.

are the settings still saved and i am still runnning that high? Im gonna reinstall ati tool. never do that again.

ANyone have any comments?

Last edited:
ATI Tool shouldn't be setting those clocks on boot.

I think you're fine, and as i just posted in the other old thread you can always RMA it w/ eVGA as they allow OCing. I doubt there is a clause in their warranty that says you can't use ATI Tool.

Open RT and use the Hardware Monitor, and you can see your temps, and clock speeds. Just a thought...I know you've been having trouble figuring out RT. Did you modify the .cfg file? You have to do that for the GTS to work right. If you don't know how let us know. Someone will post the directions, or I'll do it when I get home. I'm leaving work right now.

ATI Tool shouldn't be setting those clocks on boot.

I think you're fine, and as i just posted in the other old thread you can always RMA it w/ eVGA as they allow OCing. I doubt there is a clause in their warranty that says you can't use ATI Tool.

Open RT and use the Hardware Monitor, and you can see your temps, and clock speeds. Just a thought...I know you've been having trouble figuring out RT. Did you modify the .cfg file? You have to do that for the GTS to work right. If you don't know how let us know. Someone will post the directions, or I'll do it when I get home. I'm leaving work right now.

Yeah i think I will be ok. Well if I start seeing artifacts and stuff at stock clocks then I know that something is wrong and I will RMA it, but if I don't see artifacts I will jus tleave it.

Yeah i already modified the .cfg file so it will let me use it with the GTS. I'll find the hardware monitor when I get home. Thanks.

Back