• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ga-7vax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sourskittles

I just got some parts to build a new computer and after putting them in the case and hooking up the wires I was greatly dissapointed that it didn't even POST. I think most of my problems are from the Front Panel control thinger. I can't figure out which ones go where and the different polarities wether it's negative or positive. I have a "HDD LED" "Reset SW" "Power SW" "Power LED" "SPK" and some others that say "1 Ground" "1 -D "1 +D" "1 +5V" "2 Ground" "Shield" "2 -D" "2 +D" and "2 +5V" I don't have a case fan yet. Could somebody please tell me wut I'm doing wrong and give me some very detailed instruction on wut to do. I only have one week to work on it then I have to go back to school.

sourskittles
Take it you dont have the manual, if not download it from Gigabyte. You will then see where to put all the connectors etc and what the "1 Ground" "1 -D "1 +D" "1 +5V" "2 Ground" "Shield" "2 -D" "2 +D" and "2 +5V" mean.
Hood

Sorry dont have that mobo(I have VRXP) but I would think that the VAXP manual would show you, maybe not though.
Hood
OK just downloaded the manual and on Pg19 it shows the pins for Power Switch, LED's etc. Dont worry about the rest of them, if you have them connected properly and it still doesnt work explain exactly how far you get ie does it start to POSTetc. Also post your hardware, PSU brand, CPU, DDR etc

It doesn't even power on. I have the GA-7VAX, AMD Athlon 1800+ with the stock heatsink and fan, 1 stick of samsung pc2700 256MB DDR, a Maxtor 60 GB Diamond Max 9 7200RPM ATA133 w/2mb, an LG CDRW/DVD, a Panasonic floppy, a Sapphire Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR, and the power supply is a Sunny Technologies Co.Ltd Model Number CTW ATX 300ATX. Also for the manual on PG.19, MPD(Message LED/Power/Sleep LED) and PW (Soft Power Connector) which one of those two do I plug the Power SW into. I only have 4 front panel cables. I was building my computer in my garage which is really cold because I'm in Canada, is it possible that if the computer was in a room with an ambient temperature around 13 Degrees Celsius it won't even post.

The power connector goes to the PW+ PW- (Soft Power Connector)
Other things to check are that the mobo isnt shorting against the case( extra stand offs etc) Also try removing all Hardware except DDR,CPU and AGP.
And as far as your temp question, it would run all the better when cold.
I got my CPUU at-15degC and I have a 600MHz OC on it, hope to get more when the N/Bridge cooler arrivers tomorrow :)
hOOD

HEY HOOD THANKS SO MUCH your suggestions worked. One more question I have a 60 GB hard drive. How do I partition it so that it has 40 and 20 GB Partitions, I want to do this in FDISK

I take it you are going to use W98 when you say FDISK. Its been a while since I used it so cant really remember, but all you do is press the keys for the options you want and then when it asks what size partition you want either specify a % or the size in KB.
If its W2K or XP you are using then you just boot from the CD and you will get the chance to format and choose partition sizes before the installation.
If you get stuck let me know and I will try and remember how it goes exactly
Hood

I am going to install winXP. Do I just put in the disk and start it. This is my first time so I'm not sure what I'm doing.

This should help you, and best of all it saves me typing it.LOL
How to Partition and Format Your Hard Disk by Using Windows XP Setup
IMPORTANT: If you follow these steps on a hard disk that is not empty, all of the data on that hard disk is permanently deleted.
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, or insert the first Windows XP Setup boot disk into the floppy disk drive if you are starting from Setup boot disks, and then restart the computer.

NOTE: To start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM (or from the Setup boot disk), your computer must be configured to start from the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive (or the floppy disk drive). In some cases, you may have to modify your computer's BIOS settings to do this. For information about how to configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive (or the floppy disk drive), see the documentation that is included with your computer, or contact the computer manufacturer.
If you are starting the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM, select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.

Note: If your hard disk controller requires a third-party original equipment manufacturer (OEM) driver, press F6 to specify the driver. For additional information about how to use F6 to supply a third-party OEM device driver during Setup, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
314859 Limited OEM Driver Support Is Available with F6 During Windows XP Setup

If you are starting from the Windows XP Setup boot disks, insert each of the additional disks when you are prompted, and then press ENTER to continue after inserting each disk.
At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER to continue.
Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
If an existing Windows XP installation is detected, you are prompted to repair it. Press ESC (do not repair).
All existing partitions and unpartitioned spaces are listed for each physical hard disk. Use the arrow keys to select the partition or unpartitioned space where you want to create a new partition, and then press D to delete an existing partition or press C to create a new partition using unpartitioned space. If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L (or press ENTER, and then press L if it is the System partition) to confirm that you want to delete the partition. Repeat this process for each of the existing partitions that you want to use for the new partition. When all the partitions are deleted, you can then select the resulting unpartitioned space and then press C to create the new partition.

Note: If you want to create a partition where one or more partitions already exist, you must first delete the existing partition or partitions and then create the new partition.
Type the size (in megabytes, or MB) that you want to use for the new partition, and then press ENTER, or just press ENTER to create the partition using the maximum size.
Repeat Steps 4 and 5 to create additional partitions if you want to.
If you want to install Windows XP, use the arrow keys to select the partition you want to install Windows XP on, and then press ENTER. If you do not want to format the partition and install Windows XP, press F3 two times to quit Setup, and then do not continue with the following steps. In this case, you must use another utility to format the partition.
Select the format option that you want to use for the partition, and then press ENTER. The options are:
Format the partition by using the NTFS file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the FAT file system (Quick)
Format the partition by using the NTFS file system
Format the partition by using the FAT file system
Leave the current file system intact (no changes)
For additional information about the differences in the format options, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
302686 Differences Between a Quick Format and Format During Windows XP Setup

The option to leave the current file system intact is not available if the selected partition is a new partition. The FAT file system options is not available if the selected partition is more than 32 gigabytes (GB). If the partition is larger than 2 GB, Setup uses the FAT32 file system (you must press ENTER to confirm). If the partition is smaller than 2 GB, Setup uses the FAT16 file system.

NOTE: If you deleted and created a new System partition but you are installing Windows XP on another partition, you will be prompted to select a file system for both the System and Boot partitions at this point.
After Setup formats the partition, follow the on-screen instructions to continue Setup. After Setup is complete, you can use the Disk Management tools in Windows XP to create or format additional partitions. For additional information about using the Windows XP Disk Management tools to partition and format your hard disk, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Back