• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-990FXA-UD3 Northbridge temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tikithorsen

On my current overclock, the crappy NB HS gets VERY hot (touch or otherwise). As you can see in the picture, is on 63c after running Prime95 on Blend for over an hour.

I know that temp is not terrible, but that's hotter then what my GPU gets while gaming (GPU with a custom fan profile is around 59), is ridiculous. Even though I removed the useless pink paste that came with the board on the NB HS and replaced it with MX-2. (Before doing that it was like 10-15 degrees higher)

What I'm really curious about is if I can undervolt the NB, but I don't know what are the normal ranges for it. ¿Any one has any numbers to share?

Thanks in advance.

Whether you can undervolt it or not is going to depend on whether you have overclocked your NB bus at all. To be honest though I have run AMD chipsets all the way up to 92C before I had any issues with it. I also have the 990FXA-UD3 although mine is REV 1.0 it uses the same HS and same chipset, and with liquid cooling mine hits 50C after ~20mins of P95 which is ~ 10C hotter than my CPU at that point. You can try putting a fan in the direct vicinity of the chip, but I probably wouldn't bother, as even with liquid cooling my NB has not shown to OC any better than it did before.

I can plug my top-side fan, that should blow some air into it. Though is a cheap Cooler Master 120mm fan, don't think it will make much of a difference.
In any case, I guess I shouldn't worry too much till summer.

By the way, if I do undervolt the NB, ¿should I use the Prime95 In-place large FFT's test to check for stability or the Small FFT's?

Back