• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GA-P35-DS3 Owners, YOUR Safety! (yes, I posted in mobo sxn too)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
After looking around, more people chimed in.

It seems like owners of the board are denying the magnitude of the situation, whereas people who don't actually own the board are more skeptical.

But there seems to be an agreement that these electrical emissions are obstructed by solid objects, so I would just put them behind a desk or somewhere where not alot of biological things get in the way.... like young kids =|

Electro Magnetic Interference isn't a health concern lol. It is in every electric device. Due to the delicacy of a motherboard parts it must be tested because too much EMI can cause parts to degrade and fail over time. It is similar to a large thunderous boom of lightning that shakes your house. The sound can actually cause physical reactions that can disrupt parts. If a board has too much EMI exposure consider the smaller circuitry can be affected just like this.

Question...if there is such a risk in terms of health and safety why hasn't Gigabyte recalled all the boards:confused:.
Knowing quite a bit of US regulatory requirements on health and saftety there is now way in hell nothing has or will be done if there is even an iota of a probability that people or animals could be adversely affected...

Besides your hi-fi amp at home gives out more EMI than 10 PC's together...

Last edited:
The article is only proving the fact that the board was supposedly tested and baring the tested mark but later results show that it failed the test and brings us to a conclusion that it may not have been tested at all or there might have been inaccurate testing or blatantly manipulated results to get the boards out. Basic everyday corporate corruption.

It is possible though that your motherboard can blowup and harm you but I think that the probably of that happening is close to probably of it happening in even a fully tested device that has been approved.

It is just EMI, your mobo might interfere with other devices like your cell phone. Not like you are going to mutate into something out of silent hill.

OK so is this really a safety issue or is this an issue where maybe, possibly, in few select circumstances it might cause interference with something like a mobile phone?

Because if it’s the later then it’s pretty silly how some people are hyping this up.

I keep my computer, which has a P35-DS3R right behind my LCD. Directly to the left of my computer is my stereo amp with my tube pre-amp on top. The tube pre-amp is notorious for picking up interference from other devices. It’s located about 18” from my computer, and picks up no interference. I also have a 900Mhz cordless phone above my computer, that also picks up no interference.

Speaking of my stereo amp, it’s a beastly old Yamaha from 1979 that does 240wpc at 8ohms, when I still had my 21” CRT and had the stereo going loud it would actually tweak the picture on the monitor every time a beat hit just due to being so close to the monitor. I’d guess that in that case the amp was probably putting out 100x more EMI than my computer ever would.

More likely is that the mobile phone will interfere with the motherboard. Hold your mobile phone next to your stereo speakers and listen to the sweet sound of EMI, imagine that bouncing around inside your skull every time your on the phone. As far as the motherboard and its EMI it is well known that all electronic devices emit EMI, read the warnings in the book for your TV. Without exception you'll find the TV manufacturers tell you to sit away from the TV. Same for wirless modems and routers. If you have to degauss your CRT monitor to fix the display on occasion your likely being bombarded with EMI. Most on board audio is noisy because of EMI, not the quality of the chip.

The fact is that the power levels drop extremely fast related to distance. Even two or three feet is likely to have you outside the effective area of EMI strong enough to impact your health.

Back