• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games stuttering on new build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dark_XzYph3R

Registered
Hello all! I built this PC last month and I am already having problems... I have a couple games installed, Metal Gear Solid 5 Ground Zeros and Crysis 3 are stuttering.. I am getting 60-70 FPS in both games on Medium to High settings in 1080P. But the games are UN-PLAYABLE now. I have Windows 8.1 Pro Installed right now.. Thinking of going back to XP or Vista where I was not having problems..

System: Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-6300
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 728MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0
Graphics
NS-24E340A13 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner)
Storage
298GB Hitachi HTS545032B9SA00 ATA Device (SATA)
232GB Hitachi HTS543225L9A300 ATA Device (SATA)
Audio
Avid Fast Track Duo

Looks like the RAM and/or HDD are going to be your issue. They're both incredibly slow.

Looks like the RAM and/or HDD are going to be your issue. They're both incredibly slow.

Well all of my other games work fine.. And I also run my games and steam off of an external USB 3 Drive connected to a USB 3 port.. Could that be the issue?

Edit: The ram is actually 1333.. I don't know why Speccy says its 728MHz

Last edited:
Well all of my other games work fine.. And I also run my games and steam off of an external USB 3 Drive connected to a USB 3 port.. Could that be the issue?

Edit: The ram is actually 1333.. I don't know why Speccy says its 728MHz

Still, single channel is going to bottleneck the system.
You need at least two sticks to take advantage of dual channel.

Yes, running off of an external will be much slower than running off of an internal drive.

Still, single channel is going to bottleneck the system.
You need at least two sticks to take advantage of dual channel.

Yes, running off of an external will be much slower than running off of an internal drive.

Ok, it was actually stuttering when I had Dual-Channel Mem (Borrowed from a friend) and I will just take the HDD out of its enclosure and plug straight into SATA and see if it still does this... Or should I just move them to my OS drive?

I would try plugging in to SATA first before moving everything.

I would guess that having 2gb in windows 8.1 is slowing everything down. My system idles with 1.6gb of ram being used with minimal applications open. The fact that you are running games off a external drive is crazy to me. I would hook that drive up to a Sata connection asap because even Usb 3.0 will bottleneck games loading.

I would guess that having 2gb in windows 8.1 is slowing everything down. My system idles with 1.6gb of ram being used with minimal applications open. The fact that you are running games off a external drive is crazy to me. I would hook that drive up to a Sata connection asap because even Usb 3.0 will bottleneck games loading.

I usually idle with .7 GB to 1 GB of ram used with spotify open and steam.

I put the drive on a sata port and the games load faster but it still stutters, just not as bad, but still unplayable..

Edit: Gonna prolly dualboot Vista or XP so I can play my games without stuttering.. Only Win 7 and 8-8.1 do this..

2gb of ram is not enough to play games on windows 7/8-8.1. You are going to have issues with just about any game and honestly I'm surprised they even loaded.

Adding to what already been said, Crysis 3 says its Minimum Requirements are 2 gb of ram. Now generally when you are in the min area you are running everything on low maybe some medium. If you are running in med-high you either need to turn your stuff down to low or you need to get more memory. Do the latter.

Try running the games in Windowed Bordeless as opposed to Fullscreen. Let me know if that works, please!

Back