• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming build $1200 CAD help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trap05

So I have a buddy that needs a new gaming build. Last one I did was Z97 so I'd like some help with the hardware choices. What are the best bang for buck choices currently and I was going to go with an i5 unless you suggest something else. i7 is not required. He mostly plays older games off of Steam (Rome total war) but would the option to play newer stuff if anything catches his attention. No monitor or peripherals included in the $1200 CAD. What says you experts?

What cpu does he have now? I imagine an i5 Haswell would still do well today. Is any gear going to get reused? The more you can re-use from the last build, the more you have to spend on a nice GPU!

Wait the 5th of October for Coffee lake: it is 2 weeks away and sees major improvement over current line (50% extra cores and some IPC improvement too).

Do they need everything like monitor keyboard mouse and OS or is there anything they'll be reusing?

As I stated completely new build. Old system is a q6600 and will be staying in service in another capacity so this build has to include everything as nothing will be reused.

Well ground up new build with all peripherals $1200 is a pretty tight budget

Sorry 1st post also states no monitor or peripherals included in the $1200

AMD would not be my preferred choice that's for certain. If we were to go the i5 route what board and cpu is the popular choice?

Add in another $335 for the cheapest GTX 1060 6gb listed on Newegg and you're down to $400 for cooler, psu, case, ram, etc. That'll be a tight budget on new items, but with some good shopping you could pull it off.

I have my friend checking out cases and deciding what he likes the looks of

bah.JPG

Thats from memory express in cow town .

I think your friend would be better off finding a use Haswell (i7 for the extra life expectancy ) + 1070/80 then buying all parts new .

That's a lot like the build I linked earlier on. For the budget it'll work just fine

Back