• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build for 1440p gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Do you see any WHEA-Logger events in the event viewer? These would point to a hardware error most likely related to the PCI-e slot which means a GPU-related error. I've heard there are problems with some X570 motherboards running RX 5700 XT GPUs.

Mostly DistributedCOM errors. Kernal-Power error when it restarts. Not seeing any WHEA errors

You might also try disabling Cool N Quiet, at lest temporarily, to see if the issues is voltage dropping too low in idle times.

Do you have the latest bios installed on the motherboard?

You might also try disabling Cool N Quiet, at lest temporarily, to see if the issues is voltage dropping too low in idle times.

Do you have the latest bios installed on the motherboard?

I already disabled Cool N Quiet. I haven't update the BIOS. I should probably try that

Okay BIOS is updated. I'll watch youtube for a while and see what happens. Keep you posted. Thanks again for your help, trents! :D

Okay so it went for about 45 minutes without a restart. I tried to boot into memtest but it reset BIOS on me. Now it's not showing anything on the screen.

Do you mean memtest86 reset the bios on you?

Is (or was) your bios in legacy mode or UEFI mode?

When I went to go into BIOS it had reset. I cleared CMOS and I'm back in Windows again. Do I have to go into legacy mode to boot memtest? It keeps telling me to insert a boot drive when I try to boot from the USB.

Rebooted manually and it reset the BIOS again when I went into it...bad board? I'm confused now

Last edited:
If your bios is configured to legacy mode then you would need to run memtest86 in legacy mode. If your bios is configured for UEFI then you should run memtest86 in UEFI mode but if the latter it may still read the USB drive even if the USB is in legacy.

Is your system disk partition scheme MBR or GPT? Do you know? You can check that out in Disk Management. If there is an EFI partition in the system drive then your bios is in UEFI mode and your system disk is using UEFI (aka, EFI).

Attachments

• EFI.png
    EFI.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 52
It's EFI. I'm not exactly sure of the format. Disk Management says it's NTFS. I went back to the BIOS I had before. The newer BIOS kept resetting itself and was crashing the system. I still can't get the system to boot to memtest.... not sure what I'm doing wrong. I let the memtest program do it's thing but when I try to boot from the USB it keeps asking for a bootable device. I'm wondering if I am supposed to have the flash drive formatted to NTFS? It's currently FAT32....

Last edited:
The newer bios kept resetting itself? You mean it wouldn't hold custom values?

If you have an optical disk drive, try creating creating a memtest86 boot disk with a CD or DVD. That bypasses UEFI/legacy issues.

NTFS is the file system format the partition is using. MBR or GPT (aka, GUID) is the partiton scheme the disk is using. Two different things entirely. MBR is another disk partition scheme that was used for years before we had GPT. MBR limits the usable size of a disk partition to 2TB. There are some other advantages to GPT as well. For instance, a system boot disk with a MBR partition scheme cannot work with a UEFI bios.

It's easy to confuse file systems with partition scheme.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I entered BIOS it said that all values had been reset. Unfortunately, I don't have an optical drive and I must have a GPT for the hard drive seeming how I have UEFI BIOS. I was also getting hard crashes with the other BIOS while playing Doom. I checked it again with the original BIOS and it doesn't crash at all... Still not sure if I'm going to be able to run memtest with USB... The restarting isn't too inconvenient but still bothers me and makes me wonder what needs to be replaced. I don't want it to end up damaging anything

Most likely. Or as I said earlier, the bios may be assigning a non load vcore that is just a little too low. We see this now and then on some boards. You might try a fixed voltage as an experiment, say 1.35?

Do you have another GPU you could stick in there for awhile to test if it is a driver issue? Remove existing drivers before you try a different card.

Most likely. Or as I said earlier, the bios may be assigning a non load vcore that is just a little too low. We see this now and then on some boards. You might try a fixed voltage as an experiment, say 1.35?

Do you have another GPU you could stick in there for awhile to test if it is a driver issue? Remove existing drivers before you try a different card.

I don't have another GPU until I decide to upgrade which won't be for a while. I can put fixed voltage on the CPU. Isn't 1.35v supposed to be the maximum safe voltage for the 3000 series? Should I use the 100Mhz clock with 36x multiplier or shoot for something like a 40x multiplier at 1.35v? I've heard of people getting 4.2GHz at 1.2v...

Yes, 1.35 is generally considered max safe 24/7 long term voltage. Understand that in suggesting this dx step I was intending it not to be a long term solution. So 36x sounds like a good starting point but I would go as high as you can get and be stable on 1.35 volts. You may be able to get more out of it than 36x. If you set the multiplier to 36x manually, see what the bios gives you for voltage when the voltage is left on auto. That might be helful.

Back