• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Build QC please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Waiting for Devil's Canyon eh? Wise decision.

And don't worry about running cables. I have 2 friends who each have their own little versions of "space command" at home. SO many systems running... SO much cabling everywhere...

And to answer your earlier question, you don't NEED to pick up thermal compound unless you have a preference for one specific model of TIM over another. I like MX-4 but Noctua's TIM is just as good. Just a little runny. If you get an NHD14/15 you can use the included TIM. They give you enough to remount like 10 times.

For help putting your build together, you might want to check this video out:

rofl... Ok, just kidding. THIS video is a good video though:

Oh man! I didn't see your second link. I already went out and bought the cereal, eggs and barbie doll. :(

Comparable? To an NHD14? It has maybe half the heat dissipation capabilities of a D14. Something in the area of 30%+ cooler temperatures vs a 212 on the same cpu with the same volts IME.

As far as "if you want really good temps go water"... I don't agree with that. Going proper water with all the blocks and fittings and res and pump and tubing is prohibitively expensive for the average user. You can go AIO water and get slightly better temps than big air without spending much more cash though.

Either way, if he wants a good overclock, he's not going to get it with a hyper 212. Maybe Devil's Canyon will run miraculously cool, I don't know, but if history has shown anything it's that these core i5/7 2nd 3rd and 4th gen have been running hotter with each successive gen. Apparently devil's canyon nixes the on die VRM and improves the IHS attachment method so who knows? I just know that I personally would throw bigger guns than a 212 at the job.

I'm guessing the price point between the NHD-14 and NHD-15 will be about the same? Should I just wait on this too? lol!

Good move imho. As for the 6GB GPUs, EVGA has one here. Its a GTX 780 but if you're looking for a 780Ti model they say they will come out later on but not sure when.

I found one on Newegg for $599, but they have the same card listed on the evga site for less. I was hoping they would have a 6gb Classified edition.

I found one on Newegg for $599, but they have the same card listed on the evga site for less. I was hoping they would have a 6gb Classified edition.

It doesn't have to be classified, Direct CU, Windforce, etc to be good. Classified, Hall of Fame, etc cards come with higher clocks out of the box and typically have beefier VRM sections etc that allow for higher overclocks but honestly it's not worth paying $50-100 more for a 10-15% perf increase most of the time. I never buy the top tier I always buy midrange aftermarket cooled cards. Not "HOF" or "Classified" but maybe Twin Frozr, something in that price range.

Oh man! I didn't see your second link. I already went out and bought the cereal, eggs and barbie doll. :(

Make sure you use an anti static wrist strap. Especially when you are installing the cereal.

I'm guessing the price point between the NHD-14 and NHD-15 will be about the same? Should I just wait on this too? lol!

$20 difference AFAIK. The 15 uses 2 140mm fans instead of 1 140 and 1 120 and also widens the fin stack by 10mm. I'm not sure I'd say the performance increase warrants the extra $20. Also, the 15 blocks the top expansion slot on some motherboards. Z87A was fine because it has a PCIE x1 slot at the top above the x 16 slot. I like my D14. Had it since 2010. Truly a well engineered product and NO cooler of any kind comes with higher quality fans than Noctua products.

I just found out about Intel Retail Edge. My mom works for Walmart. She's eligible for the classes and discount. But, apparantly to get even the first tier, you have to be on their site for at least 3 months. :(

From what I can gather, they only put chips for sale twice a year. One started yesterday. The other wont be until winter.

I doubt they're going to still be selling discounted cpus in three months. I still signed up, and I'll help her with the quizes and stuff. /shrug

Worth a shot.

From what I can gather, they only put chips for sale twice a year. One started yesterday. The other wont be until winter.

I doubt they're going to still be selling discounted cpus in three months. I still signed up, and I'll help her with the quizes and stuff. /shrug

Worth a shot.

Sounds like a headache. Just pony up the funds and buy the chip at retail. It's only 1 of many components of a machine you're building.

Wait for the 4790K, grab it at the store or from newegg or wherever, get a decent Z97 board, and build your machine, carefully adding cereal as you go.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $139.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($579.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $96.83)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $89.99)

Plus whatever CPU comes out in a couple weeks.

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (Purchased For $139.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($128.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 6GB Superclocked ACX Video Card ($579.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $96.83)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $89.99)

Plus whatever CPU comes out in a couple weeks.

Looks good. :thup:

The ONLY thing I WOULD change is the case to a Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Pricing and Availability
Available at most local retailers in May, 2014. The recommended retail prices are, Window $99.99 (PH-ES614P) and Non-Window $89.99 (PH-ES614PC)

Here's a great review done for the case. I would jump all over this case than the one you have selected. More bang for the buck and its future proof if you ever decide to go water cooling down the road.

Last edited:
Looks good. :thup:

The ONLY thing I WOULD change is the case to a Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Here's a great review done for the case. I would jump all over this case than the one you have selected. More bang for the buck and its future proof if you ever decide to go water cooling down the road.

That's an amazing looking case, but, I've already purchased the one in my list. ;) I got a pretty good deal on it, considering the price-fluctuations of it. It's got room for some RADs in the top and up front, if I take out the drive-cages. Water-cooling really hasn't had much of a draw for me. Other than the "neat-factor," I can't justify the maintenance and funds on it. We'll see once I start overclocking though. I may end up swallowing those words.

That's an amazing looking case, but, I've already purchased the one in my list. ;) I got a pretty good deal on it, considering the price-fluctuations of it. It's got room for some RADs in the top and up front, if I take out the drive-cages. Water-cooling really hasn't had much of a draw for me. Other than the "neat-factor," I can't justify the maintenance and funds on it. We'll see once I start overclocking though. I may end up swallowing those words.

:salute: Sounds good. Can't wait to the finished product.

:salute: Sounds good. Can't wait to the finished product.

Me either! Just waiting a couple more days for my brother to pay me back (finally!) And then for the processors to hit the market.

As far as "looks" I'm concerned about the blue heatsinks on the ram. It may be nothing, but, I feel like they're going to stick out like a sore thumb. The motherboard is black and has brushed gold heatsinks, everything else looks like it's going to be black.

Yeah, just make sure that CPU cooler has clearance from that ram.

Luckily Noctua has done most of the homework. Here's a compatibility list.

Type Manufacturer Model Compatibility Comment
DDR3 G.Skill Ares Series Yes

Looks like you're in the clear. :attn:

I was looking at the Corsair Vengeance Pro in early builds. Some of the amazing recommendations pointed out the low-profile Ares series for me, for this reason :)

Some awesome guys around here.

So, black and brushed gold motherboard,
Brown and tan fans on my massive heatsink
Bright metallic blue heatsinks on my ram

in a white and black case. Got it. :rolleyes:

I might need to get some Plasti-dip for my window :p

Although, the Noctua will cover the bright metallic blue ram heatsinks. So, there's that. :attn:
Color matched systems are for kids in my opinion. It's just not necessary to go all red and black or all blue and white in a build. I've never had a color matched build and I probably never will. I just don't see the point. As long as you are using quality components that best serve your needs that's all that matters.

Back