• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Build QC please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Rumors have it coming out next month. We shall see but worth the wait.

I guess we'll see what happens next month at their announcement. Depending on the time-frame and everything, it would let me be more choosy to a point regarding purchase prices of everything else. Wait for a sale, etc etc. Although, I'm really tempted just to put everything in the cart today and click the DO IT button.

I guess we'll see what happens next month at their announcement. Depending on the time-frame and everything, it would let me be more choosy to a point regarding purchase prices of everything else. Wait for a sale, etc etc. Although, I'm really tempted just to put everything in the cart today and click the DO IT button.

Buy today, get a good CPU. Buy tomorrow, get an incrementally better CPU. Buy in 7 months, get a slightly better cpu again. Etc etc. There is never a 'good time' to buy a CPU. You just buy it when you want it. If you feel like holding out for that five percent (if you're lucky) improvement, do it. If not, buy now.

Buy today, get a good CPU. Buy tomorrow, get an incrementally better CPU. Buy in 7 months, get a slightly better cpu again. Etc etc. There is never a 'good time' to buy a CPU. You just buy it when you want it. If you feel like holding out for that five percent (if you're lucky) improvement, do it. If not, buy now.

Actually, we're looking at 10% this go-round.
And Devil's Canyon is supposed to clock higher than the 4770K is able to.

From the benchmarks?
QUOTE:As expected, the Core i7-4790 CPU that we had beats the i7-4770K in each of the CPU benchmarks by a consistent margin due to the CPU frequency increase.

QUOTE:whereby removing the HyperThreading for the i5-4690 actually puts it ahead on several of the single threaded / high-register requirement benchmarks.

QUOTE:As expected, the Core i7-4790 CPU that we had beats the i7-4770K in each of the CPU benchmarks by a consistent margin due to the CPU frequency increase.

QUOTE:whereby removing the HyperThreading for the i5-4690 actually puts it ahead on several of the single threaded / high-register requirement benchmarks.

And the i7-4790K is supposed to be clocked at 4GHz.
An increase is an increase.

And the i7-4790K is supposed to be clocked at 4GHz.
An increase is an increase.
We are in a overclocking form you should know better!!! It does not work that way 4.0GHz is not a upgrade when you already have a i7 4770k at 4.0GHz+

We are in a overclocking form you should know better!!! It does not work that way 4.0GHz is not a upgrade when you already have a i7 4770k at 4.0GHz+

You should know that clock speeds aren't the only benefits that can be gained.

Also, 10% performance gain. 2% increase in clock speed.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $59.99)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $147.99)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory (Purchased For $149.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $129.99)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $144.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (Purchased For $599.99)
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $96.83)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $89.99)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $17.99)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $14.99)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan (Purchased For $14.99)

Total: $1467.73

This happened today. :)

I made a few changes to my parts list, as you can see. I went with the MSI 780ti because I'm not going to be using more than a single 1440 monitor and the ti should last me for a while. (And, i got a great deal on the ti for $599 after rebate card, $629 before).

I changed motherboards to the msi gaming 5, because it combo'ed with my 840 EVO from Newegg and saved me another $10 bucks. It also clinched the color scheme of black and red.

Pulled the pin on the WD2TB from Amazon. No story there.

RAM. I had the bright-blue heatsinked Ares 1866. I checked their site and found the 2133 was offered in red heatsinks. So, i called Newegg, explained the situation, and they issued a full refund since the ram was unused (And I just spent $900 bucks with them today). So, I went ahead and ordered the 2133 for $10 more. And it matches. ;)

Now, I'm just waiting for the boxes to be packed and delivered, and I should be at Microcenter on the 30th to pick up my 4790k.

Last order of business, researching a mechanical keyboard.

Last edited:
Back