• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming: G-Sync vs. 144hz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

"G-SYNC’s revolutionary performance is achieved by synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU in your GeForce GTX-powered PC"

Could someone explain the difference between using a G-sync capable monitor and using a non G-sync capable monitor that supports 144hz?

If my GPU can put out frame rates above 60fps and the monitor is 144hz then what is the need for G-sync? Or is there a need at this point? :confused:

The G-Sync monitor will match the FPS coming from the GPU. The other won't.

The G-Sync monitor will match the FPS coming from the GPU. The other won't.

Ok but I'm still a bit confused, a monitor isn't measured in FPS. Does matching the FPS really matter once the FPS is way above 60? What is the benefit of purchasing a 144hz monitor then?

From a description of an Asus monitor that supports 144hz -
"The 144Hz rapid refresh rate speeds up the frames per second to deliver ultra-smooth motion scenes in 2D intense actions*. "

How does G-sync "smoothness" differ from 144hz "smoothness"?

Because the monitor refresh rate matches the FPS.
It removes screen tearing from where the monitor refresh rate and FPS doesn't match.

Ok so G-sync only removes tearing and that is all. What would be the benefit of a 144hz monitor then?

The reviews I read say everything is smoother which is what is causing all this confusion for me.

You get a 144Hz refresh rate instead of 60Hz.

Using V-sync usually fixes screen tearing without G-sync but at the expense of FPS. If however my GPU is putting out a higher number of FPS and the monitor can accept that higher number why not purchase a 144hz monitor instead of a G-sync monitor?

Using V-sync usually fixes screen tearing without G-sync but at the expense of FPS. If however my GPU is putting out a higher number of FPS and the monitor can accept that higher number why not purchase a 144hz monitor instead of a G-sync monitor?

G-Sync fixes the monitor to the GPU's FPS instead of V-Sync fixing the GPU to the monitor's refresh rate.

I think what he's asking is, if his framerates are above 60FPS, would a G-Sync enabled monitor do better for him than a 144hz monitor, or vice-versa?

As far as I can tell, a monitor with G-Sync is still going to cap at 60hz, but I could be wrong.

I think what he's asking is, if his framerates are above 60FPS, would a G-Sync enabled monitor do better for him than a 144hz monitor, or vice-versa?

As far as I can tell, a monitor with G-Sync is still going to cap at 60hz, but I could be wrong.

G-Sync caps are based on the monitor's refresh rate.

A G-Sync 144Hz monitor will do better than just a 144Hz monitor, because you'll get less screen tearing.

G-Sync caps are based on the monitor's refresh rate.

A G-Sync 144Hz monitor will do better than just a 144Hz monitor, because you'll get less screen tearing.

Bingo. I believe the ROG Swift is G-sync supported [someone correct me if I'm wrong] making it a 144hz 1440p panel with g-sync.

Back