• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 4 440MX or Geforce 3 TI 200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

debovenk2002

Well Should I get a Geforce 4 440Mx or a Geforce 3 TI 200. They are about the same price. Both about $140. Both 64MB DDR Ram.

What should I do?

My Computer
-------------------------------
AMD Athlon 1.133 GHz
Volcano 6cu+
Asus A7V266-E
256 MB Crucial PC2100 CL 2.5 ECC Registerd
IBM 75GXP 30GB Harddrive
Pioneer 16x DVD
HP 8x4x32 9100i
eVGA Geforce 2 MX 32MB
Soundblaster Live!
Netgear FA 310TX
Full tower W/ 300Watt PSU
Windows XP Professional

My Server
--------------------------------
AMD Duron 750Mhz
Chrome Orb
Shuttle AK31 R. 3.1 W/ Audio
128 MB Crucial PC1600 CL 2
Western Digital 8.4GB Harddrive
32X CD-ROM
Diamond Stealth 64V 2001 2MB
3Com 3C905B 10/100
Intel8255x 10/100
Wide Mid Tower W/ 250Watt PSU
Windows 2000 Advanced Server

The Geforce3 Ti 200. The Geforce 4 MX is like a Geforce 2 just suuped up a lot. It doesn't have the newer technology found in the Geforce 3 or Geforce 4 Ti.

i definately agree, the g4mx doesn't even have pixel shaders.
and the Ti200 is the best vid card ive ever owned.

Definitely a Ti200. GF4 MX is an abomination born of the wicked minds of nvidia's marketing department and should be avoided at all costs! :mad:

go for the gf4 just for name value..it's powerful and cheap, and you have the pride to say "i own a geforce 4"

but technically the geforce 4's arent the same core as the geforce 4's. they are a revamped version of the geforce2. i would'nt go near one, especially with unreal tourney 2 and doom 3 comin soon.......w00t!

The MX use NV17 and the Ti use NV 25 or was it 27? One of those. They just took the XBOX chip and downgraded here, upgraded there to get the Ti chip. They took the Geforce 2 and made it faster to make the MX chip.

go for the gf4 just for name value..it's powerful and cheap, and you have the pride to say "i own a geforce 4

LOL!! That's the mentality! good joke.
go for the GF3Ti200...it'll annihilate that "GeForce4"Mx440 in ANYTHING you play.

I've just spent several weeks trying to decide on a new card.

I've probably made the wrong decision I got the MX440.

I decided to go with the raw GPU speed of the MX. Other options I considered were the GeForce2 Ultra and Radeon 8500. The deciding factor was the feature set in the 440. Nvidia sure made a mess of these names, there's no doubt about that. It would have been clearer if they called the GF4, GF3"supra" and the GF4MX, GF2"supra" but then again, that would make the ultra better than the supra --- oh whatever!!!

My advice would be to wait until reviews of the 440 come out. Not that anybody really cares about it, but I suspect that more people will be buying it than $400 Ti's

Here are some raw facts, mostly from the nvidia website:

GeForce3 Ti 200 Operations per Second:700 Billion
GPU Clock: 175mhz
Fill Rate: 2.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/Sec.
Memory Interface: 128-bit DDR

GeForce4 MX 440
GPU Clock: 270mhz
Features: LMA II, Accuview AA, nView, VPE
Triangles per Second: 34 Million
Fill Rate: 1.1 Billion Texels/Sec.
Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/Sec.
Maximum Memory: 64MB

GeForce2 Ultra $400 as of August 2000
Detonator3 Drivers
GPU Clock: 250mhz
Memory Interface: 128-bit DDR
Triangles per Second: 31 Million
Pixels Per Second: 1.0 Gigapixels ("The World's First Gigapixel GPU")
Memory Bandwidth: 7.36 GB/s

GeForce2 Ti Memory Interface: 128-bit DDR
Pixels per Second: 1 Billion
Memory Bandwidth: 6.4GB/s
Triangles per Second: 31 Million

Just for fun: here's the Ti 4600:
Operations per Second: 1.23 Trillion
Features: nFiniteFx II, LMA II, Accuview AA, nView, VPE
Triangles per Second: 136 Million
Fill Rate: 4.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
Memory Bandwidth: 10.4GB/Sec.
Maximum Memory: 128MB

All in all, the MX440 doesn't look like a bad value, a critical point is that it seems (this is a gray area in the reviews) that the GF4 features are even better than the GF3 features and most are included in the MX drivers. Even grayer is whether or not the GF3 drivers will update, but since GF4 represents a new generation in software, I think they won't be allowed to tag along.

In any case, all of the three cards I seriously considered would support the use I have planned. Mostly my hobby. (3D graphics using trueSpace, which I don't recommend and runs in Dx7 ferkrisake) and maybe a few hours of gaming a month.

Software support is the sole reason I chose against the Radeon, I read the words "should", and "soon" too many times in reviews. If you make me a promise I'll pay when you deliver. The more unbelievable the offer is, the tighter I hold my wallet.

PS I just checked and my MX is on the final delivery truck right now!! Yippee!!

Last edited:
The people who are buying GeForce 4 MX's now are the people who bought the Pentium 4 when it came out, just cause of the "4". The GeForce 4 is a great chip, but the MX sucks. The concensus of this forum seems to be to go with the Ti.

Judging from the Anandtech scores, the MX440 falls behind the Ti 200 in proportion to the price difference between the two cards.

The Ti200 scores 3DMark about 20% higher than the MX440.
At New Egg it costs about 20% more too.

By the same comparison, there are people who own GF2/MXs who like them in this thread, there are also people who own Ti200's and they like their cards too.

It boils down to personal preference, how much card do you need to make you happy? Get whichever that'll do it for a while, because you'll be stuck with what you buy for some time.

I got my MX tonight and I'm satisfied, I can rotate a 200,000 polygon object and view accurate procedural textures in realitime - without losing my shirt. You know how long it takes to make a 200,000 face model??! :rolleyes: I can see why a gamer would want more, and more, and more. It's like sports cars, except for the girls :cool:

>>>The people who are buying GeForce 4 MX's now are the people who bought the Pentium 4 when it came out, just cause of the "4".

No, I have a T-bird, and will probably upgrade to an XP. The people who like MXs have budgets.

Judging from the AnandTech article, it would appear that kicking back and waiting for the GF4Ti 4200 would be a better choice for those of us who cannot afford much over 200 bucks for a new graphics card...Glad I read the article, as I will be waiting for a couple of months and saving some more money to put down on a GF4Ti...better the economy version of the Ti than another dang MX card from Nvidia...I can wait a little while...Thanks for the link...
:D

Well, I had the same problem, needed a video card. After reading up on it I went with the gf3 ti200. It looks (given the entrie prices on pricewatch that it will be a little longer than I want to wait before the gf4s become reasonably proced. With the 4600 in the 400s and the 4400 in the 300s, it looks like the 4200 will debut in the mid 250s. They will come down but I needed a card fairly soon. Were I in the market for a gf2 then I would purchase a gf4 mx however I wanted a little better performance. Picked this gf3 ti200 (gainward) up a couple of days ago and am rather happy with it. so far have gotten it up to 255/550 for 8,555 3d2001 points. Presently using 27.42 drivers along with rivatuner in order to push it to its max. Interesting note, with the powerstrip prog, the nature scene plays out slower than the riva setup resulting in about 300 points less. I am sure it is a setting but know not where (not to mention the 30 second delay on loading - shareware). BTW the 255/550 is with the stock cooling, tape and all.

yea, the gainward Ti200's kick a$$. mine's at 240/550 and i havent pushed it till i seen artifacts. i would really hate to roast this great card:mad:

Back