• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

geforce 4, radeon, or wait....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xCarne_Asada

i know i know, another what should i get a geforce 4 ti4600 or a radeon 9700? Would the Radeon be worth shelling out all that money? should i just get a geforce 4 then stick with it for a bit (like a year)? or should i wait? I want to start getting all my new computer info together so my dad and i can order it. and a good video card is a must. i love nvidia, but right now the radeon is tempting. advice needed.

what might be a decent idea would be to shell out 90$ now and get a geforce3/8500 and then get a 9700 when NV30 comes out and youll probably save a bit of money in the long term while still having a great video card right now :)

My thoughts exactly....i was going to say get either a ti4200 or a ati 8500 though...then when the NV30 comes out with its $450 (my guess) price tag, you cna get a 9700 for $230 (my guess) bucks

slipknot said:
My thoughts exactly....i was going to say get either a ti4200 or a ati 8500 though...then when the NV30 comes out with its $450 (my guess) price tag, you cna get a 9700 for $230 (my guess) bucks

altough since you can get a R300 for 330$ right now i wouldnt go as far as a Ti4200....

Well NV30 is rumored to be out anytime between November and February, so you don't really know how long you will have to wait. My theory is once ATI's 3rd party manufacturers crank up production, and the current demand is met, the price will go down a bit. If you do go for a 9700 now, you'll get your money's worth IMO.

-Rav

if you are looking to put a system together now and need a video card, I would say get the 9700 HANDS down, i do not think the NV30 will be much better when it debuts and the dates are not even known yet.

9700 will easily last 1-2yrs for the average person as UT2003 and Doom 3 engines are gonna be around for a while.

$330 is the lowest right now but you can find third party cards soon and from what I have seen and read currently the core/mem are the same as ATI built cards which is really sweet!!

Grab a 9700, but if you can wait a month or so it will be cheaper then. Flat out the best card and will be for a while.

Cisco KId

funnyperson1 said:

altough since you can get a R300 for 330$ right now i wouldnt go as far as a Ti4200....

Why not, you can get a TI400 for 140 shipped. that is almost $200 less. That is alot of money to save

i thought i heard people were having problems with the radeon and it would lock up. i love nvidia for it's good drivers. grr tough choice.

I've been asking the same questions you are for the past week. I'm still deciding on either a TI4200 or 8500LE.

BAH. I finally got this money and now I can't use it because I don't know what to buy. I'm currently deciding between a Radeon 8500LE (built by ATI model) or a Chaintech vivo 4200. I know the chaintech cards aren't the best TI4200, but I've read a couple reviews and most people seem to get the memory up to 300 easy, if not more. I'm really insterested in teh VIVO options on the card, tat is why I'm not going with the cheaper models. I also want one with 128MB of ram, not 64. Lastly, the card is a looker....the gold looks pretty cool.

Back