• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

general question about Asus FX 8159 and temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fraterchaos

Registered
Ok, I recently acquired an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard, ASUS FX 8150 processor and ATI Radeon Saphire HD7700

I got a Thermaltake V3 case and Corsair 600 PSU off Amazon (all brand new)

The MB came with two possible coolers... a fairly standard AMD cooler that has a number on it that reads: AV-Z7UH40Q001-4113 It has a relatively standard sized heat sink and fins, with what appears to be copper tubing running from the base and through the fins, but the tubes do not connect to each other, so I assume there's no liquid transfer going on with that.

The other cooler is an Arctic Extreme, although I am not sure the specific model... it looks fairly much the same as the one pictured here:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/arctic_cooling_freezer_extreme_rev_2_cpu_cooler_review,15.html

Again, it has copper tubing that runs from the heatsink up through the fins, but the tubes do not interconnect and so I again assume (perhaps wrongly) that there is no liquid circulation going on... This is the unit I am currently using.

The system is running Manjaro Linux (based on Arch Linux) version 0.8.10-rcl and Linux Kernel 3.14

I've read a little bit about overclocking this machine and so I messed around a bit with some of the settings in the BIOS... mainly I have unleashed all 8 cores, and set the overclocking mode to manual... then raised the CPU/HT Reference Clock (MHz) up tp 201 (min is 200, max is 550)

and the PCIE Clock to 103 (min is 100, max is 150)

I also turned off the automatic fan (or Q-fan) settings and sett the fan to max speed at all times, and set the minimum CPU temp to it's lowest opossiblke value (86 degrees C)

the thing is, I'm gfetting a fairly consistent temerature of about 70 degrees C on the CPU when reading it through the Linux sensors (used two different software sensors to see if it read the same on both, it does) and the BIOS also shows about 70 or 71 C.

I've seen some posts on other forums that 70 C on this chip is far too high, and others that said even 75 C was not a problem as long as the system is stable.

It's a bit warm outside today, and this reading of 70 C is about the highest reading I've seen, even when I had it clocked a bit higher... so I assume most of the rise is due to the ambient temps...(reading about 82 F in this area today... not sure what that is in C)

Since I'm fairly new to overclocking and this is my first real experience with a system as recent as this one, I was hoping for some input/advice on whether these temps seem dangerously high or not... as I said, the system appears completely stable as far as I can tell (I have not run any sort of stress software, but I do run a fractal generation program that pegs all 8 processors to 100% and that seemed fine and didn't significanly raise the temps any further... so I just don't know what to make of it...

Any input would be appreciated.

Ok, I recently acquired an ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard, ASUS FX 8150 processor and ATI Radeon Saphire HD7700

I got a Thermaltake V3 case and Corsair 600 PSU off Amazon (all brand new)

The MB came with two possible coolers... a fairly standard AMD cooler that has a number on it that reads: AV-Z7UH40Q001-4113 It has a relatively standard sized heat sink and fins, with what appears to be copper tubing running from the base and through the fins, but the tubes do not connect to each other, so I assume there's no liquid transfer going on with that.

The other cooler is an Arctic Extreme, although I am not sure the specific model... it looks fairly much the same as the one pictured here:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/arctic_cooling_freezer_extreme_rev_2_cpu_cooler_review,15.html

Again, it has copper tubing that runs from the heatsink up through the fins, but the tubes do not interconnect and so I again assume (perhaps wrongly) that there is no liquid circulation going on... This is the unit I am currently using.

The system is running Manjaro Linux (based on Arch Linux) version 0.8.10-rcl and Linux Kernel 3.14

I've read a little bit about overclocking this machine and so I messed around a bit with some of the settings in the BIOS... mainly I have unleashed all 8 cores, and set the overclocking mode to manual... then raised the CPU/HT Reference Clock (MHz) up tp 201 (min is 200, max is 550)

and the PCIE Clock to 103 (min is 100, max is 150)

I also turned off the automatic fan (or Q-fan) settings and sett the fan to max speed at all times, and set the minimum CPU temp to it's lowest opossiblke value (86 degrees C)

the thing is, I'm gfetting a fairly consistent temerature of about 70 degrees C on the CPU when reading it through the Linux sensors (used two different software sensors to see if it read the same on both, it does) and the BIOS also shows about 70 or 71 C.

I've seen some posts on other forums that 70 C on this chip is far too high, and others that said even 75 C was not a problem as long as the system is stable.

It's a bit warm outside today, and this reading of 70 C is about the highest reading I've seen, even when I had it clocked a bit higher... so I assume most of the rise is due to the ambient temps...(reading about 82 F in this area today... not sure what that is in C)

Since I'm fairly new to overclocking and this is my first real experience with a system as recent as this one, I was hoping for some input/advice on whether these temps seem dangerously high or not... as I said, the system appears completely stable as far as I can tell (I have not run any sort of stress software, but I do run a fractal generation program that pegs all 8 processors to 100% and that seemed fine and didn't significanly raise the temps any further... so I just don't know what to make of it...

Any input would be appreciated.

The copper tubing is Heat Pipes, lookup on how Heat Pipes work, they do have some liquid in them under a small vacum. As for your temps, I don't know what sensors the Linux uses but is seems like your reading the socket temp.

The copper tubing is Heat Pipes, lookup on how Heat Pipes work, they do have some liquid in them under a small vacum. As for your temps, I don't know what sensors the Linux uses but is seems like your reading the socket temp.

well, I suppose you could be right, although it shows as CPU temp in all the sensor readouts I have...

the sensors also have Motherboard Temp readouts too, and that usually shows as being around 39 degrees C (less when the ambient is lower and less when under less load)

I'm kind of thinking that 70 C, even if that's the correct CPU reading, should not really be too jigh as the BIOS fan setting enables on to set a lower limit temp which the coolers will try to maintain, and the lowest possible setting is 86 C... so if that's correct, then I guess 70 C would still be within tolerances...

fraterchaos, welcome to the forum.

For starters you really don't need to Oc the Pcie clock, your rig though so up to you. These Fx 8 series cpu's are beasts to cool. They also require a stout motherboard when overclocking. A few suggestions, try taking the case door off and see if the temps drop. If they do you need more airflow in the case. You can also mount a old heatsink fan or any other small fan directly on the back of the motherboard using double sided tape to help cool the socket down, 70c is usually the max socket temp that is recommended, which is what I believe your reading is. The issue you are going to have when overclocking this chip is your motherboard doesn't have heatsinks mounted on the VRM section. This section is what supplies the Cpu with power, when it is overclocked it is going to heat up and if it heats up too much your chip is going to throttle. You can try to add a fan to this section also and see if it will help. I'll post pictures of what area I'm talking about and also of a fan on the backside of the motherboard.
View attachment 144562

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions...

I was planning to check a few things anyway, as I read that the main case fan should be blowing in and not out (mine is blowing out, as it was set from the factory, so I may change that) and checking that the internal fan in the Arctic Extreme is actually running and which way it blows...

So that gives me the oopportunity to test the temps with the case open.

I do have a large fan but I'm not sure how/where I can connect the power for it. It doesn't seem like there are any extraplugs for fans. Any suggestions for where I can get power for another fan would help. (sorry, I'm sort of new to this)

ok, removing both sides of the case has dropped the CPU temps (according to the sensors anyway) to 59 C (of course, it's now evening here and is starting to cool off ambient a little bit too... but I don't think that explains the whole drop)

I'll monitor this for a little while and perhaps shut down and see if I can reverse the case fan. Perhaps that will help a bit too.

I have a FX-8150 as well, but the MB is a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.x, here are my temps with all cores maxed at 100%.

FX-8150.JPG

TMPIN1 is the socket.

There could be a few reasons why Whitehawk is getting better temps. Better Cpu cooler, better ambient temperatures, more case airflow and better motherboard. Fraterchaos, the problem with having a low end motherboard without heatsinks on it is twofold. When you have a processor such as the Fx 8xxx chips they are very demanding of the power section of the motherboard, the Vrm section. When you have a low end motherboard with a low phase count VRM section they have to work harder to supply the processor with the proper voltage it needs to run properly, therefore creating more heat. The second issue with it is that this section doesn't have heatsinks on it to aide in dissipating the heat.

From what you have done, ie removing the case side panels, it's a good probability that you need more airflow through the case. Even so if your plan is to overclock you may want to consider getting the proper components in order to do so, without the possibly of frying the motherboard and or other components that may go with it.

Mandrake,

well, I did not know the MB was "low end" as it was given to me along with the CPU and Graphics card...

I have found that after opening both sides of the case, turning the main case fan around to pull air in instead of out and the drop in temps this evening, I'm now running about 48 C.and that's with 4545.11 Mhz speed on all 8 cores... of course, I may not be able to keep the temps that low during the hot summer days...

I have a small aftermarket fan I'm thinking of adding on the backside of the MB under the socket, but there's nowhere to plug in another fan... I'll either need some kind of adapter or to splice the wires and I'm not sure how smart that would be... can I run two fans from the same power source by splicing into the wiring for the case fan for example? Or would it be better to find some sort of adapter? Is there even any sort of adapter that will work... I've got a lot of spare power for HDDs and Optical drives but I am unaware if there is an adapter that would connect a fan plug to one of those...

well, I did not know the MB was "low end" as it was given to me along with the CPU and Graphics card...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I just wanted to let you know that it's not a motherboard that is the best choice to OC on.

As far as the fan goes if you don't have an additional fan header on the motherboard to plug it into you can try using an adapter such as this. They also make adapters where you can hook multiple fans onto it.

I'll have to look for a proper adapter that will work with it... the one linked appears to be an adapter to adapt old style ATA drive power plugs, and I need SATA derive power plug adapters, but I'm sure they exist if the ATA type do.

thanks!

I'll have to look for a proper adapter that will work with it... the one linked appears to be an adapter to adapt old style ATA drive power plugs, and I need SATA derive power plug adapters, but I'm sure they exist if the ATA type do.

thanks!

Your PSU should have both types of power connectors on it, 1 or 2 cables of 4 pin connectors and 1 or 2 cables of SATA power connectors.

Your PSU should have both types of power connectors on it, 1 or 2 cables of 4 pin connectors and 1 or 2 cables of SATA power connectors.

it may, I am not 100% sure, I didn't see anything that looked like the ones linked when I assembled the machine, but maybe one of the ones I didn't examine fully is the right type.

But I found splitters that turn a single fan plug into two on amazon cheap, so that should do the trick I would guess unless powering two fans off the MB would draw too much power.

I've been looking at cooling units as well... not sure yet what I want to do, try a better air cooler or move up to liquid cooling? I'd rather not spend a huge pile of cash on a cooler, but it would be nice to know the CPU isn't goiong to fry...

Anybody have a suggestion for a good mid-range priced cooler that would keep this thing in a safe range? I looked at a couple corsairs and a couple thermatakes in or around the $50 range that seemed like they might do the trick, but I'd like other opinions.(if anybody has one)

Note: I am not really doinfg hard core gaming or stuff like that with this machine, but the fractal rendering software does push the CPU to 100% if I allow it... the program doesn't use the GPU at all, just CPU and RAM, so cooling it is important but maybe not as important as it would be for a serious gamer...

But I found splitters that turn a single fan plug into two on amazon cheap, so that should do the trick I would guess unless powering two fans off the MB would draw too much power.
All depends on the fans you're running, most motherboards are good for 1 amp on the fan header.

Anybody have a suggestion for a good mid-range priced cooler that would keep this thing in a safe range? I looked at a couple corsairs and a couple thermatakes in or around the $50 range that seemed like they might do the trick, but I'd like other opinions.(if anybody has one)
For less then $50. I would buy this it's still arguably one of the best Air heatsinks made. I have 2 of them and it outperforms my Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 slightly. If it doesn't come with an AMD mounting kit you can always buy one here. For the money it's a pretty good choice.

Mandrake

Thanks for the advice and the link. I'll look into that perhaps.

Just as a bit of an update, I got to thinking after I shut the machine down last night that perhaps I had not applied the thermal paste as well as I should have when I assembled the computer, so this morning I pulled the Arctic Freezer Xtreme off and applied a bit more Arctic Silver to the CPU.

It seems like it may have helped slightly... now arguably, the ambient temp today is much lower than it was yesterday, it actually feels a bit cool in the computer room today whereas it was a little warm yesterday even with a big window fan going at a good speed.

But having re-applied the thermal paste, I'm now showing about 39 C at idle and I don't even have the window fan running at all. Granted the computer has only been running for ten minutes or so, but this does seem to be aslight improvement over how it had been performing. The bottom of the MOBO under the socket only feels slightly warm to touch, instead of being just below hot yesterday evening.

I will monitor the temps through out the day and under different load conditions to see if this is areal improvement, and I'm definitely going to order some sort of splitter or other fan power adapter and add a fan under the socket (and yes, Whitehawk was correct, there are some connectors that will fit the fan adapter you linked after all, I didn't notice them before)

I'll add a note later today to update how things are going temperature wise

and thanks to all for all the input!

Just an FYI the temperature sensors on these Fx processors aren't accurate at idle. They are only accurate when under load above 40c.

thanks for the info... I'll put the box through some work and monitor it closely

and I didn't know that about the thermal paste... good to know

well, after reapplying a little extra thermal paste, opening iup the case, and with the lower ambient temps these last couple days, I've been doing somewhat better... under heavy heavy load, I've reached 56 C (as oppposed the the 80 C I was getting before) and idle and normal load ttemps usually run 40 to 44 C (occasionally jumps to as high as 49 C watchig videos and such)

I have an order on the way from Amazon for an adpater to add another fan on one of the spare power lines from the Corsair C600 should be in by June 6. I'm hoping I can find a way to attach the stock heatsink and fan un the underside of the MOBO right under the CPU socket, although I may need to figure out something like a spacer to keep it frm resting on any current carrying surfaces... if that won't work, then I do have a spare fan I can use instead of the stock heatsing/fan combo.

I suppose I'll either have to run the thing open case, or cut a hole in the side panel for the added fan, but that's ok.

Still considering the options for a higher capacity main cooling unit. But I'll wait and see what results adding a socket fan will provide and go from there.

Thanks to everyone for all the assistance!

Back